Skip to content

Welcome, Charlie!

November 22, 2015

Man—what a week we’ve had!  Someone decided to show up four weeks early:


This guy!

Lila was born at 41 weeks, so you can imagine the loop that this has thrown us for—a big one, haha.  No hospital bag packed, no carseats installed, no firm plan set in place for who would take Lila…you get the idea.  Because Lila’s birth came late in the pregnancy and was basically totally uneventful, I had assumed Charlie’s would be the same way and that, at 35 weeks, we still had all the time in the world to finish prepping for his arrival.  Boy was I wrong.

But, let me back up—here’s how things went down.

Last Saturday was just…normal.  We went on a hike, attended a church silent auction, and were turning out our lights to go to bed by 10.  Looking back on it, I guess maybe I felt a *little* off—I was having some light contractions, but it’s not like that’s abnormal for almost 36 weeks pregnant. 

But.  About ten minutes after we turned out our lights to go to sleep, I felt a gush of warm liquid run down my leg.  I turned the light on and told Ryan, “I think my water just broke!!”  I ran to the bathroom to check it out and saw blood.  Lots and lots of blood.  We both just kind of stared at each other in shock. 

Ryan, luckily, kept very calm and immediately called 911—they told him to have me lay down and that they’d send an ambulance.  I laid down in bed in shock as Ryan moved into action—he called our friend who lives down the street from us to come stay with Lila, packed a few things in a bag, and by then the medics were at the house, asking me questions and strapping me into a gurney.  Our new house is literally 3 minutes from the hospital, so before I even had time to really think about what was happening, I found myself up in labor and delivery.  They immediately strapped me to a monitor and checked on Charlie who, thank god, was doing absolutely fine.  This bit of reassurance calmed me down a little—although I also think it pulled me out of my shocked state, and at this point I began crying uncontrollably.  Even though I finally had confirmation that Charlie was okay, I think it finally hit me at this point how scared I was. 

The nurse asked question after question about the pregnancy, my medical history, etc.  All the while, they were checking on the bleeding, which had slowed a bit, but definitely not stopped.  Anytime they would move me or sit me up, I’d feel another gush.

Finally, the on-call doctor came in and talked to me; at this point, I had no idea what she was going to go with for our plan of action—emergency c-section?  Or more of a “wait and see” situation? 

Because Charlie was doing so well on the monitor and because I was still slightly pre-term (it was Sunday, and I’d be 36 weeks on Wednesday) she ended up going with the latter—she recommended that I stay in the hospital until at least Monday, when my regular doctor would be able to see me and decide further how to proceed. 

As far as what caused the bleeding, the doctor said that her best guess was a partial abruption of the placenta—when it tears away from the uterus.  A full abruption can be really dangerous (obviously), but she said that if that were the case, I’d be doubled over in pain and the bleeding wouldn’t slow.  So, I guess that was the good news—that it was only partial.  But, the bad news was that a full abruption was much more likely to happen eventually, now that there was a small one.  She basically said that if they let me go home, there was a chance that at any point, the placenta would abrupt fully and then we’d really be in a bad place.  So, a long hospital stay seemed to be in the cards.  I wasn’t happy about that, but I obviously also didn’t want to do anything that would put Charlie (or me) in danger.

So…I’ll try to be brief about what happened next.  My regular doctor saw me, a specialist saw me, and they came up with a plan: go ahead with delivery.  I’d been having regular contractions since checking in on Saturday night—not strong ones, but regular ones.  I was also 1 cm dilated, and my cervix was soft.  So, my doctor basically said that my body was starting to go into labor anyway, and helping it along made the most sense, even though it was earlier than ideal.  They also did a complete ultrasound on Charlie and estimated him at 6 pounds 10 ounces, which gave me reassurance—if he was coming this early, at least he seemed to be a pretty good size, and they said that he looked absolutely perfect, development-wise.

All of this was reassuring, but I was still really scared.  And, on top of all that, there was just the general stress of the fact that we’d planned on having another month before Charlie’s arrival—my head was constantly streaming with a list of all the things I still needed to get done—plus Lila’s schedule, my own classes…ack.  Luckily, my parents came to Huntsville from Louisiana on Sunday and planned on staying all week to help us out—and boy, did they.  They basically had Lila all week while I was in the hospital—they took her to school and her activities, and slept with her at the house so that there was at least some sense of normalcy maintained in her routine.  They were lifesavers, truly. 

We called my doula and filled her in on the plan—induction with pitocin at 5:30 am, followed by a manual breaking of my water.  It’s funny—I think my doctor (who also delivered Lila) thought I’d be *way* more disappointed with the idea of being induced.  Last time, I’d been so set on trying to do it naturally—which worked out really well.  But at this point, it really didn’t matter to me at all—whatever we needed to do to get Charlie here safely, I was totally willing to do.  And although I was willing to try going the natural route again with pain management, I knew that pitocin would make the odds of that much, much less likely—and honestly, that was fine. 

They came and got me at 4:30 am and wheeled me into labor and delivery, and started me on a flow of pitocin around 5.  At 6, my doula arrived and started coaching me through the contractions.  At 7:30, my doctor checked my progress—I was at a 4, and she said that she’d be back to break my water around 8.  The contractions at this point were laughably weak—which wasn’t good, since I knew that meant that they’d probably dial up the pitocin to get them stronger.  But, they didn’t have to do that after all—after my doctor broke my water, they picked up—BIG TIME.  They felt much stronger this time around—again, something my doula attributed to the pitocin.  With Lila’s birth, I remember them being painful (obviously), but not unmanageable.  These contractions were starting to feel…well, unmanageable.  One would start as soon as the previous would end—they seemed to come in waves that I just couldn’t get on top of, couldn’t breathe through.  About thirty minutes after they broke my water, I was in big, big pain—I asked them to check me again, expecting (hoping) to be at around an eight or nine.  Nope—I was at a six.

That’s when I asked for the epidural.  Winking smile 

And let me just say, it was a damn lifesaver.  They got it to me within thirty minutes, around 9:30.  And my body basically just exhaled into one long, relaxed, “Ahhhhhhhhh.”  That’s what it felt like, anyway.  And, that relaxation allowed me to stop fighting the contractions—I went from 6 to ready to push in 45 minutes, and Charlie was born with three big pushes at 10:25 am:




He weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces, and was amazingly healthy—they had warned us that there was a good chance he’d be taken to the NICU, at least for a while just to be observed. But, he was doing so well that he was able to just stay with us—no trip to the NICU needed!   Lila was so excited to meet him—and very excited about the Princess Celestia he’d decided to bring her as a big sister gift.  Winking smile

We can’t believe how well everything has turned out, despite the scare that the early delivery put us through.  I feel unbelievably—well, there’s no other word for for it—blessed.  My recovery has been remarkably easy, and Charlie is still doing great—they released us from the hospital at 48 hours, and we’ve been settling in as a family of four since Thursday.

More details to come, but thank you for all of your kind messages and comments!


14 Comments leave one →
  1. November 22, 2015 2:41 pm

    SO happy everything turned out well!!! He is so cute! I was induced with Kaylin and know the pain of those post water breaking contractions 🙂 Yayy for epidurals 😉 Hope you all are doing well

    • November 23, 2015 2:34 pm

      Thanks Erica! Yeah, those induced contractions are no joke! It was crazy to me how much stronger they felt than the ones with Lila. Yay for epidurals. 🙂

      We’re doing well!

  2. Crystal R permalink
    November 22, 2015 4:42 pm

    Congratulations!!!! What a wild birth story!!!!

  3. Kristie permalink
    November 22, 2015 10:37 pm

    Congratulations! Beautiful name and baby, crazy story. I had similar bleeding to yours with my second (docs weren’t sure what all the bleeding was, maybe a partial abruption, too much blood to ignore, when they acknowledged that I was going to have the baby that day I just started crying because before then I think I’d been in denial about what was happening), but I was at 3 days before my due date so the decision to proceed with pitocin was a no brainer. It really was killer but my whole labor went so quickly that by the time I was begging for an epidural it was too late. 3 pushes for me as well and it was much better than the 2 hours of pushing I had with my first :). Anyway, just wanted to say congrats and that you are definitely not alone with the odd bleeding.

    • November 23, 2015 2:37 pm

      Haha, I was worried that it was going to happen that way with me too, regarding the epidural– I was yelling at them to hurry up and bring it, that I didn’t want it to be too late! 🙂

      Unexplained bleeding is just horrible. And I know what you mean about being in denial– I think I was that was with Lila too, and she was a week late, ha! I think you’re in denial about it until you actually go into labor, lol.

  4. amberbusyboldblessed permalink
    November 23, 2015 11:59 am

    Oh yay! I was looking forward to this post since I knew he was coming, but hadn’t seen anything since. Congrats!!!!!

  5. Anita permalink
    November 23, 2015 3:08 pm

    Welcome to the world, Charles English Weber! He’s perfectly wonderful and I’m so glad that he’s here safe and sound. I’d love to have all of these new baby boys together…Silas, Otis, Owen and Charlie!

    • November 23, 2015 3:30 pm

      Yes, so many new boys!! What a wild time it will be, haha. Thanks Anita!

  6. ginger635 permalink
    November 23, 2015 7:07 pm

    What a wild week, with a wonderful ending! So glad that we could be a part of it! And, so glad it ended as well as it did. You are right – we are all blessed. We enjoyed the week with all the family (once the fear was gone!). He’s a beautiful baby boy!!

  7. Emily S. permalink
    November 24, 2015 3:42 pm

    I was relating this story to Jon and he cringed and shrunk in on himself. Eventually, he said, “I don’t need to know.” (Perhaps it was too soon? We went in for a regular doctor’s appointment at 38 weeks, got taken immediately to the hospital, and had a baby the next morning.) Yay that you got to have a vaginal delivery and that everyone is ok! Welcome to your crazy beautiful life, Charlie!

    • November 25, 2015 3:06 pm

      One of our PA friends had a situation similar to ours when her daughter was born, and she said that all of the feelings came back to her as she read my post– and her daughter is 16! Maybe it’s just always too soon, haha. I knew HA was early, but didn’t know the details of what happened– it’s always scary when you think you’re going in for a routine appointment and then find yourself in the hospital!!

  8. Marcee ... ILLINOIS permalink
    December 20, 2015 10:43 pm

    Wow ….. mazel tov!! Very excited for everyone! It’s been awhile checking into your blog. Slow poke with my congrats. I certainly remember when Lila was born. Loved her name so much. Charlie is absolutely great too! By now with my late comments, you should be feeling pretty good Anna. Sure hope so. Can’t wait to see Charlie grow up! Best holidays to all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: