Workouts and Clomid and Stuff

October 4, 2014

Kind of a random title, right?

I woke up at 6am this morning and Ryan and Lila are still sleeping soundly (jerks), so I decided to blog about some of what’s going on right now.

Workouts went a little better this week.  I’m still disappointed in my lack of movement on days that I teach (MWF).  I’m on my feet for about 3 hours straight while I teach, so I guess that counts as something.  Still, my steps are always down on those days, and I just haven’t been able to push myself to get up early to workout, or go to the gym in the afternoon.  Now that the weather is starting to cool off and I can go outside without looking like this in five minutes:

…maybe I can start going on walks in between my morning and afternoon classes.

Anyway—I did get a run in on Tuesday morning (4 miles) and then worked out at our neighborhood gym on Thursday morning.  Tuesday and Thursday are no problem—and because of my lack of exercise on other days, I will say I try to push myself hard at the gym on those days, especially with the weights.

Still, I’d like to add at least one more “formal” workout to my weekday routine.  It just feels good to break a sweat.  Right ladies?

Okay, I’m done.  I promise.

Except to say that I can’t stop watching this video, and I really want to do this with some of my friends.

On a more serious note—I start Clomid this week.

Womp, womp.

Remember this post I wrote about how we were going to start trying for baby number two this summer?  Well, we actually started back at the end of April, with the idea that if I got pregnant, I would just take the 2015 spring semester off.  But it didn’t happen…and didn’t happen…and still hasn’t happened.

A lot of doctors say that if you’re under 35 you should try for a year before seeing your doctor, but my doctor (whom I LOVE) told me to come in if I wasn’t pregnant after six months of trying.  Last month we hit the six month mark, so I went in and talked to her.

Ryan checks out fine, and my blood/hormone levels were all normal, so she’s putting me on a low dose of Clomid this month to see if that will help.

I’ve been tracking my ovulation regularly with kits, with success each month, so I don’t really think the ovulation is the issue.  Honestly, I don’t know what the issue is.  I know a LOT of couples try for way longer than six months—I have friends who have had to try for years to get pregnant. So trust me, I don’t want this to become a “woe is me” kind of post.  I know we’re still in the early stages of trying.

Still, with Lila, we got pregnant without really trying—it happened so quickly, it kind of scared me.  So I guess I just assumed the second one would happen quickly as well.  And now that it’s taking a while, it’s pretty frustrating.  A lot of the fun has gone out of it.  When it’s go time, imagine this:

23 Things Every Couple Trying To Get Pregnant Understands

Except instead of Jennifer Lawrence, it’s me.  And I’m wearing fleece pajamas and a facemask.  And I’m frantically waving a positive ovulation stick back and forth.

HOT.

Anyway, I thought about not really writing about this on the blog.  But, I wanted to be open about what we’re going through—again, I think there’s a misconception that if it happens easy once, it will happen easy twice.  We’re proof that that isn’t necessarily true.  And honestly, I kind of feel guilty even feeling pissed off about it—after all, we already have one child.  What right do we have to feel exasperated about not having a second one as quickly as we’d like?

But when I went to see my doctor, she looked at me and said, “Well, when your heart decides you want another one, you want it right away.”

And I basically started crying.

Things have been a little emotional over here lately.

I’ve heard the Clomid helps with that.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

xx

1. itzyskitchen permalink
    October 4, 2014 2:36 pm

Much love to you. I never openly wrote about it but it took us A LOT of effort to get pregnant with kaylin. Basically I have some major hormonal problems and chances of getting pregnant on our own are about 0. So – if you need support, I’m here! ❤ ❤

• October 4, 2014 7:31 pm

So many people go through SO much to have a child– I always felt a little guilty about how quickly it happened for us with Lila. It’s no fun dealing with fertility issues on any level, that’s for sure. Thanks for your sweet comment, girl!

2. Chelsey permalink
    October 4, 2014 3:05 pm

Anna your writing style is, as always, on target and honest and humorous. Thank you so much for sharing and being so open on your blog. Clomid has helped so many couples and I am thankful there are so many options nowadays for couples wanting a child. 🙂

3. Granddad permalink
    October 4, 2014 4:17 pm

No question about it, it’s hard; emotions are real. You have been and will continue to be in our prayers.

4. October 4, 2014 8:49 pm

Ha. When we were trying to get pregnant, I would wake Jason up from a dead sleep and be like, “I’m ovulating. Roll over.” Very romantic.

5. October 6, 2014 12:35 pm

This is one of my biggest fears! Trying NOT to get pregnant for so many years and then when we’re actually ready… We still have some time before we’re going to start trying, so hopefully all will be well when we start. We’ll see!

Love the gifs and your lighthearted approach to tough subjects. Hope things work out for you soon ❤

6. October 7, 2014 2:15 pm

Totally different tone here: I am so excited you guys are trying for a second! Another baby to stalk via blogs, Instagram and Facebook! Hang in there.

7. October 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Well, I feel like a real jerk! I decided to check your blog to see if you had posted anything recently – and found THIS! First, I’m so sorry you’re having a hard time with the second pregnancy. I’m sure your doctor told you how common that is. I know you know that you are, in fact a Clomid baby, as well. Our stories are so similar – Katherine was not a mistake, but a surprise, and “we were happy to have her” ; that is to say that we did not even try with that pregnancy. So, I assumed it would be just as easy the second time, but it was not. I hope Clomid works for you as well as it did for me, but whatever happens, it will all be fine. I will share a conversation that I overheard between two much younger women at a yoga class recently. One said “Well, I guess you guys will start trying again, since (name) is two now, and the mom said “Oh, no way…we want to wait until he’s about 4 – by then he is older, he can dress himself, he’s totally potty trained, and it will just be better.” That’s not to say that your decision is a wrong one, or that hers is, but whenever you get pregnant, it will be wonderful and exciting, so try not to stress about it (easier said than done, I know), and I’m so sorry that I’m so late in replying! I love you! Mom

8. Stacey Bukuras permalink
    October 15, 2014 1:41 am

Sending you big hugs from Boston, Anna! Baby #2 will join your fun loving family, but not knowing *when* has got to evoke all sorts of big feelings. Sending you good vibes and good luck with the Clomid. xo

Trackbacks