A Few Good Meals

July 7, 2014

After the brouhaha of the fourth (name that movie?), we settled in for a pretty laid-back weekend.  On Saturday afternoon, we did something we’ve been meaning to do since…ohhhh, December?

Photo: Ryan and Lila both got sweet new rides today. #andfunshinebeartoo

For Christmas, my parents “gave” Ryan a new bike—but it took us until July to actually pick one out and buy it.  Christmas in July!  We got a trailer for Lila too, which she is super-excited about (for now).  There are a lot of places we go on our side of town that are easily within riding distance—the grocery store, many of the parks, a few restaurants, etc.  My bike that I got back in Pennsylvania was still in pretty good shape, so we’re ready to roll now!

We’re looking forward to using a more green method of transportation when we can—we already rode our bikes to grocery store twice, and also took Lila to a nearby park, where she schooled me in a game of checkers:

Photo: Checkers at the nature preserve. #shescheating

Our meals were pretty basic over the weekend.  On Saturday night we had big salads topped with veggies, tofu, and goat cheese:

DSC_1996

…and then on Sunday night we had grilled chicken and sautéed zucchini, onions, and tomatoes (again topped with goat cheese).  This was a kind of light dinner…but just before dinner, Ryan and I polished off some fries at the pool that he ordered “for Lila,” so, you know…it all evens out.

DSC_1999

Nothing much else to report.  We have one more full week here—next Wednesday, we’re headed to the west coast for some quality time with Ryan’s family.

Have a great one!

1. itzyskitchen permalink
    July 8, 2014 1:08 am

Yall are traveling machines! We’ve been talking about getting bikes for a while now- need to get on that!

2. July 8, 2014 1:32 am

Dazed and Confused for the win! (And I would have still known that if you hadn’t posted it on Facebook.)

3. July 11, 2014 7:24 pm

The tofu looks delicious! How do you do it? Baked or fried? YUM!

• July 11, 2014 9:09 pm

This was just fried in the pan with a bit of olive oil. I pressed the tofu first for about an hour, then sprayed it with cooking spray, seasoned with garlic salt, and cooked it in the pan until each side was golden, about 5 minutes on each side. I was impressed– usually we bake our tofu because I really prefer it to be pretty dense and chewy, but cooking it in the pan this way was really tasty and easy!

4. July 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Just got around to reading all your blog posts that were put up while we were out of town. I’m SO GLAD Ryan got around to getting that bike. I think you guys will really enjoy riding your bikes! Also, all the recipes you have posted in July look delicious! Can’t wait to try them all! It’s good to be back home and cooking again!

• July 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes– he loves it! We’ve been riding our bikes to the grocery store all week!