Easy Mushroom Dinner

December 17, 2013

One of my goals for the New Year (I refuse to call it a resolution—I think that jinxes it) is to do a better job cooking dinners for the family.  We do okay with the *cooking*—it’s the choosing a meal, shopping, and prepping that we seem to fail at.  Which makes the cooking kind of hard.

Can we talk a little bit about dinner ruts?  Because I feel like we’ve been in one BIG TIME, this entire fall.  I’m still trying to think of ways to get out of it, come January.  I’m sick of being on a constant rotation of stir-fries, tacos, and soups…but it’s hard to come up with new ideas.

Anyway.

Last night, in an attempt to get in a little cooking before the holiday madness, I made this simple meal (made even simpler by pre-cut veggies…I don’t buy them all the time, but sometimes when you don’t really feel like cooking, they’re a lifesaver).

“Drunk” mushrooms with polenta:

For the mushrooms, I heated up 1 tbsp. butter in a pan, then added the onions and mushrooms and sauteed for about ten minutes.  Then, I added a cup of red wine and continued to simmer them until the wine was completely reduced.  Seasoned with garlic salt and a bit of Italian seasoning.  So easy!

For the polenta, you just boil two cups of water and add a half cup of the cornmeal, boiling until creamy.  I always season polenta/grits really generously with salt—it can be pretty bland otherwise.

I went the pre-prepared route with our salad as well.  Better than no salad at all, right?

And there you have it—dinner!   You know, I used to hate Sandra “semi-homemade cooking” Lee, but now I think she’s kind of brilliant.  Semi-homemade cooking is better than no cooking at all!

DSC_1323DSC_1321

We’ve got a busy day ahead—we’re leaving for Louisiana tomorrow.  Time to pack!

1. December 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Those mushrooms look amazing. I love frozen veggies for fast meals too. And semi-homemade is still far better than take out – and this dinner looks like something you’d pay a pretty penny for if you went out.

2. December 17, 2013 8:43 pm

I have a secret love for polenta and mushrooms. Ironically I was just updating a recipe in our program at the university, for mushroom grits, and I was thinking about how delicious it sounded….now I see your photo and I WANT!
    Yes, we go through ruts, all the time. I swear I blog only to force me to make new things!

3. December 19, 2013 3:49 am

That’s seriously one of my favorite meals! Last time I made it, I put a poached egg on top–holy moly delicious! Try it!

• December 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Poached egg pretty much makes anything delicious even MORE delicious!

4. December 19, 2013 4:11 am

We are in a major dinner rut right now so I can relate. We’re all about tacos here. We have them at least three nights a week. Ugh! So I will be happy to add this mushroom dinner to the rotation. Thank you for sharing Anna!

5. December 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Sounds tasty!! Keith and I are in a big time dinner rut especially with a newborn. But hopefully we’ll get better about it.