Longer Run, Pumpkin Festivities

October 28, 2013

Hi All! Sorry for the lack of blogging these days—things have been downright crazy at work.  In addition to teaching my normal classes, I’ve been in charge of a high school poetry competition this semester, and the workshop (one of the major events for the competition) was on Friday.  Glad to have it over and done with—and it went well!

Yay, Poetry Out Loud!

Running has been going well.  After my half-marathon last weekend, I went on some easier runs last week during the week…I took it pretty easy, because I had a daunting distance ahead of me for the weekend: 18 miles.  I woke up on Sunday a little nervous, but ready to tackle the mileage.  The Hal Higdon book I’m using as a guide for the training really stresses how important the long runs (18 miles plus) are for the runner—both physically, but also mentally.  The physical benefits are obvious—these runs prep your body for the (insane) marathon distance, come race day.  Mentally, those runs serve as confirmation that you CAN run the marathon—they’re a real confidence builder—if they go well, that is, ha!

Luckily, this run:

Photo: #tcb

…went well!  My splits were all around 10 minutes or 10:30, which is exactly where I wanted to be.  I only stopped to walk a few times, towards the end.  The only bad part of this run was an unforeseen bathroom break that I had to take back at the house around mile seven.  Take it from me, folks—don’t eat a dinner of roasted veggies and quinoa the night before a long run.  Fiber isn’t always your friend.

Sorry.  Now you know.

Other than that, this was a great long run.  I’m sore today, but not too sore.  Another thing my Hal Higdon book stressed was that you should finish your long runs feeling tired, but not exhausted—feeling like if you had to, you could still run a little bit more.  That’s basically exactly how I felt when I finished up this run.

In other news, Lila is still adorable (most of the time).  We took her to the pumpkin farm this past week:

It’s the same farm we took her to last year:

…but things were a little different this year. Winking smile

How did she go from this roly-poly baby to a walking, talking toddler in just a year?   Will wonders never cease?

Okay…gotta go teach.  Gah! Glad to check in to the ol’ bloggie, if only for a bit!

Hope you’re having a great week!

1. itzyskitchen permalink
    October 29, 2013 12:00 am

You are ROCKING the long runs! Whoop whoop! And how cute is your little peanut? Love!

2. October 29, 2013 12:35 am

You’re doing so great with the training! And yes, gotta plan the day before meals!!

3. Patti permalink
    October 29, 2013 1:11 am

Congrats on the successful poetry event. I’m glad your training is going well. When is the marathon?

4. Susie Hoffmeyer permalink
    October 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Love reading your blogs! Jack (our grandson) is at Tate farms today. Was supposed to go with him but needed to stay home because of new carpet and tile being installed. Keep up the good work on running.

• October 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks Susie! Tate Farms is so much fun– especially now that Lila is a little older. She was going crazy out there, loving all of the activities!

5. October 29, 2013 7:24 pm

My suggestion is the night before any run at 18 miles or over, practice eating the same thing you’ll eat the night before the race. While I did a couple years of doing a sweet potato brown rice combo, I’m now back to plain old pasta with red sauce (which was my original long run meal). Sometimes I’ll have a very small salad too. Very little protein and dairy. I also try to be a little carb heavy at lunch. And heavy on the water all day before 18+. It’s worked well for me.

• October 31, 2013 12:46 am

That’s a good idea– I need to start practicing that more. I’m good about knowing what I can (and can’t) eat in the hour or so before a run for fuel, but yeah, I usually don’t think too much about the night before meal– guess I need to start!! 🙂

6. October 30, 2013 3:35 am

Yay for those long runs! So impressive! And yes, your little one is still VERY adorable. Too much cute!

7. October 31, 2013 12:36 am

I can’t believe how much she’s grown!! In just one year, look at that. Imagine next year, and the next (although I’m sure you don’t want to imagine that quite yet!).
    Congrats on the great run. How about this for too much info; my run route takes me by my parents house because 90% of the time I need a pit stop 😉 It works out well.