Race Recap: Chattanooga Four Bridges Half

October 22, 2013

Well, I finally did it:

A sub-two hour half!  This past weekend, we headed up to Chattanooga, Tennessee so that I could run the Four Bridges Half Marathon.

I was talking to my sister a few days before the race, and I told her that I honestly had NO idea how the race was going to go.  Since deciding to register for the full marathon in December, almost all of my training runs have been pretty slow—I usually hover between a 9:30-10:30 pace, depending on how far I’m going.   I knew that with the kind of training I’ve been doing lately, a sub-two hour half might just not be in the cards at this point.  Plus, I’d heard all sorts of things about what a hilly race this half was—obviously the bridges would provide a climbing incline, plus Chattanooga itself is a very hilly town.  I had kind of resigned myself to the fact that I’d be finishing kind of slow, and that was okay.

We spent the Saturday afternoon before the race picking up my race packet in the park, eating an amazing vegetarian dinner (Sluggo’s is our Chattanooga tradition!), and just relaxing before the early morning:

(What, you don’t ride horse statues topless when you visit new towns?  Whatever, weirdo.)

The morning of the race came EARLY—5:15 early.  The race started at 7, so I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of time to eat, drink coffee, dress, warm up, etc., before Ryan and Lila dropped me off.  They ended up dropping me off at the base of one of the bridges that I’d be crossing just a few minutes later.  Smile

I can’t say enough good things about this race. It’s relatively new, so I’d heard that there were problems in previous years with organization, water stands, etc., but everything ran very smoothly!  The race began just a few minutes after 7:00, and we were off!  This race route WAS hilly—but it was also BEAUTIFUL! Running over the bridges was a really cool way to see the city, and seeing the sun rise over the Tennessee River about thirty minutes into the race was a breathtaking view.  I was running naked—that is, no Garmin, no music or i-phone…just me and the miles!  It was strange to have no idea what my pace was, especially since I had a specific goal in mind!  I *felt* like I was going pretty fast, but sometimes I feel that way during training runs, only to look down and see that my pace is way slower than I’d thought.  Still, running without the Garmin was a good thing overall, I’d say—it allowed me to not stress out about pace and to just enjoy the run.

Still, when I started to close in on that last mile, I was wondering—will this be under two hours?!  How long have I been out here?!  I pushed really hard for the last mile and gave it all I could, hoping that it was enough.  As I crossed the finish line, I saw Ryan and Lila cheering from the sidelines.  It sounds so cheesy to say, but seeing the two of them when I finish these races really is SO great—it just makes me feel so proud and happy.  They’re the best two supporters I could ask for. Winking smile

I crossed the finish line, got my medal, and stumbled around looking for the clock.  Someone next to me said something about 1:57, so I figured that was pretty close to my time—under two hours!  Yay! I was excited—but I also wanted to see the race results to know for sure what my official time was.

Well, they went up this morning, and it’s official: 1:56: 36!  That’s a pace of 8:57, which is WAY faster than I would have thought I could have run this race, especially with all the hills!  This is a nice confirmation that all of the hours of running I’ve been putting in lately—even slow running—*have* been paying off, even if sometimes they feel like they aren’t.  I feel a bit more confident going into the rest of my training for the full marathon now.  I’m not going to run it fast, and it’s not going to be easy, but at least I’m starting to feel like I can drag my ass across that finish line, come December.

Hope you had a good weekend and that your week is off to a good start—we’re dealing with a doozy of one over here.  Crazy school stuff, grading, etc.  Gotta power through it!

Have a great day!

1. October 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Awesome job!! Don’t you just love it when you don’t really have any expectations and then you end up rocking the race?

2. October 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I am so proud of you and so incredibly happy for you! That smile on your face is amazing! I was wondering about this race. I would definitely consider it for next year. I think Chattanooga is so incredibly beautiful, so I imagine this would be an incredible way to enjoy it! Great job Anna!

P.S. the etc. part is pooping, right? 😉

3. October 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Great job! And Sarena’s P.S is making me laugh.

4. itzyskitchen permalink
    October 22, 2013 3:46 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!! So exciting! I’m not sure I want to do another bridge half after the last one I did. It was fun/beautiful but my legs! 😉

5. Emo permalink
    October 22, 2013 4:57 pm

High five! More power to you on running naked (no music?! what?!)

• October 22, 2013 6:11 pm

I. KNOW. The marathon I’m registered for has a strict no headphones rule, so I’m trying to wean myself off of them slowly, but it’s HARD!!

6. October 23, 2013 3:12 am

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! You did so well, and I loved seeing the photographs along with the recap.

7. October 23, 2013 3:25 am

Congratulations!!! That’s an awesome milestone!

8. November 25, 2013 10:35 am

Amplified affiliate in addition to request expenses today speak for virtually 35% of television system earning potential. Long-term earnings advantage is dependent upon light beer the large Several, content-producing communities in order to protected 1 / 2 of their very own connected in addition to run stations’ retrans obligations by cord as well as other recruits, Swinburne states that. (Let alone which usually TV stations rely on identical retrans earning potential to survive and may also are not ready to have the funds for what is equivalent to opposite association expenses.).
    mulberry bags sale

9. November 25, 2013 10:38 am

On account of the great number of yahoo and google on the market today, Research has developed into a really wind resistant and helpful procedure. In the past in the World-wide-web, researching mandatory long hours of searching through gradual directories or simply online. If yourrrve been unhappy enough to have a gradual modem (2400 bps, any individual?) it absolutely was fairly likely that working on researching would likely require multiple days to weeks prior to the laptop or computer.
    Boutique Ralph Lauren

10. November 25, 2013 10:38 am

A single virtually certain way for you to let you know paying attention to your low-budget and typically undesirable scary film is the place where you will have a maudlin plus way too extraordinary sound history, specifically it comes while in the starting loans. Some point contrary to the Taken (to not be confused with 2010 and beyond Emma plus the woman sweetheart Dave take any presctiption your winter season camping outdoors trip right into a rural hilly spot as soon as the snow sled collisions plus turns into inoperable. That they walk around the block time for the usually tend to attempt to ascertain the after that transfer.
    Polo Ralph Lauren Pas Cher Homme

11. November 25, 2013 10:44 am

On his employment interview by himself, John Scott Moses, who’s going to be the particular founder of each of our Area Memphis Traders Collection, was initially able to provide us with a few recommendations regarding how to launch to provide a housing person. After looking at “Rich Pop, Lousy Dead” by simply Scott Kiyosaki he thought we would launch to provide a housing person. The book states that to begin this you’ll need a few groundwork, thus he gone to the online market place along with stacked every bit of data on the content, information groups along with dialogue message boards.
    Polo Ralph Lauren Soldes

12. November 25, 2013 10:47 am

A person almost sure approach to tell you observing a low-budget and, sometimes poor fear picture the place you’ve got a maudlin in addition to excessively impressive music standing, especially when it comes down during the opening up ‘tokens’. Some point with the Frosty (not to be mistaken with The year of 2010 Emma in addition to the girl boyfriend John take a wintertime going camping vacation in a distant hilly community any time its snow vehicles fails in addition to gets to be inoperable. These move to its often make sure to find out its future switch.
    Montre Louis Vuitton

13. November 25, 2013 10:52 am

When maintaining rugs and carpeting essentially, this affected region involves study before remedy. Whenever you can, evaluate if this aroma contains seeped with the carpet back up in addition to into the sleep pad. This requires moving the rug to see if there is also a noticeable blemish within the sleep pad.
    Lunettes Louis Vuitton

14. November 25, 2013 10:53 am

Greater affiliate marketing as well as subscription rates now depict just about 35% regarding hdtv proceeds. Long-term gains upside relies upon draught beer the fundamental Four, content-producing cpa networks in order to safeguarded half their very own allied as well as possessed stations’ retrans funds from wire along with other marketers, Swinburne reveals. (Don’t worry in which Tv producers rely on exactly the same retrans proceeds to outlive and will be unable to easily afford what is just like opposite affiliation rates.).
    Bottega Veneta Outlet Store