Taking Your Toddler’s Passport Photo: What Not To Do (#fail #neverleavingthecountry #mysixteenmontholdmightbeaterrorist)

August 9, 2013

We have plans to take a trip over Thanksgiving that will require a passport for Lila.  This means, however, that she needs a passport picture.  Right now, it’s not looking good.

First, we tried to bribe:

DSC_1009DSC_1010

…then, we tried to distract:

For one beautiful second, it seemed like we were going to get a good one:

…but then in a sudden turn, all hell broke loose:

(Y’all want to take me to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving?!?  The HORROR!!!)

Who knew that attempting to capture a picture on a white-walled background could evoke such terror in a child?  Even her favorite stuffed bear couldn’t calm her down:

DSC_1016DSC_1017

I guess we’ll try again next week?

Hope this gave you a laugh…happy Friday!  Smile

1. Dad permalink
    August 9, 2013 5:25 pm

Lynette and Don are going through the same thing with Benjamin.

2. itzyskitchen permalink
    August 9, 2013 6:11 pm

omgosh. Never stop blogging- I need your posts in my life 🙂

3. Elizabeth permalink
    August 9, 2013 7:36 pm

Been there! Try taking her to Kinko’s. Sometimes the chaos stuns them into submission.

• August 9, 2013 8:26 pm

We tried!!! Well, not Kinko’s, but we tried at Walgreen’s. It was a total disaster. Even a lollipop couldn’t calm her down. That’s why we decided to try to do it at home instead…but that hasn’t been any easier, ha!! Maybe we’ll just have to photoshop one. 🙂

4. August 9, 2013 9:57 pm

Haha! I feel like such a jerk but this made me laugh out loud. Luckily, for my sister’s kid, we got his passport at 4 months old so he didn’t do much of anything back then.

• August 12, 2013 1:12 am

Parenthood is full of moments that will make you feel like a jerk. We were laughing so hard when we were trying to take these pictures. I guess she’ll have something to talk about in therapy in twenty years, right? 😉

5. August 9, 2013 10:49 pm

The picture where you tried to distract her looks pretty good to me – I think I’d go with that one. Also, I think the ones where she’s crying (especially the one right before all hell broke loose) might even do – they just have to be able to tell that she’s who she is. Granted, she probably won’t win Customs’ Miss Congeniality Award, but it will probably work OK. Have you tried giving her a bag of Goldfish and then just taking a head shot? Or, hold her in your lap and put a white piece of poster paper in back of her and take it like that. Good luck!

6. August 9, 2013 11:14 pm

This has to be one of the best blog posts I’ve read/seen this month. I am just dying. I showed my husband and he’s laughing now too. She is just the sweetest. I know you’ll get the perfect shot eventually 🙂

7. August 10, 2013 12:35 am

She is so spunky. I love her!