Eating From the Garden

May 30, 2013

Remember our pallet garden?

blog 004

Well…it’s actually doing really well! There were a few lettuces that just kind of wilted right away and bit the dust, but altogether, the herbs are going great and the lettuce is flourishing!

We’ve made a few meals lately that revolved around food we’re growing—ie, lettuce and herbs, ha.  One day it would be nice to try a fuller garden with actual food beyond lettuce…but that day is not today.  Winking smile

On Sunday night, I made a chimichurri sauce with our available fresh herbs.  From our garden, I used cilantro, basil, mint, and oregano:

blog 006

blog 014

blog 017

…plus a big bunch of parsley from the grocery store.  In the blender, I blended the herbs with olive oil, juice of a lime, 3 cloves of garlic, and a splash of white wine vinegar.  Season with salt, and voila!

blog 023

We served it over grilled steak and vegetables, and soaked up extra sauce with bread.  Yum!

Then, on Tuesday night, we harvested lettuce leaves from the pallet:

Photo: Oh heyyyyyy lettuce from our garden! #feelinglikeagardeningbadass #talktomeagaininaugustwheneverythingisdead

…to make these summer salads.  Lettuce, topped with sprouts, grilled chicken, grilled zucchini, blue cheese, yellow cherry tomatoes, and pepitos.  Yum!

blog 001

I know it sounds silly, but eating from the garden really does give us a nice sense of pride.  I’d like to try growing a bit more someday, but for right now, I’m glad the little bit that we ARE growing is thriving!

Have a good one!

1. May 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Chimichurri sauce is my new favorite thing. That’s awesome that your garden is doing well. You should be proud. Our backyard is so shady that I don’t think anything would grow. Boo.

2. May 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Dang I’m jealous! I haven’t even started my garden! I filled it with dirt and then haven’t even had the time to plant anything. I’m traveling the next two weekends too, which leave little time on the weekdays with work and planning for the next trip!

3. May 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Love eating from the garden too. We have some tomatoes on the vines as well as hot peppers so far. Now just waiting for them to ripen.

4. EllenCF permalink
    May 30, 2013 3:00 pm

When will you have the guide for creating our own palate garden?

• June 4, 2013 12:10 am

I’m going to try to get Ryan to write a post for it this week!!

5. May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Nice work! After years of killing tomatoes, I’ve determined that leafy greens and herbs are definitely the way to go!

6. Patti permalink
    May 30, 2013 7:35 pm

I am glad it is doing so well. You must be getting more sun than when we were there😊. I have thought about starting a lettuce pot. Does you lettuce grow back after it is picked?

7. May 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Love it! I have some tomatoes I’m growing from seeds! and my herbs are doing well. Love cutting fresh herbs and throwing them in things 🙂

8. June 2, 2013 10:46 am

Oh my gosh everything look amazing! I pretty much have a black thumb. I think I just over water things 😦

Trackbacks