Rainbow Chard Summer Salad

May 23, 2013

Here is something you need to know about me and my friend Sarah: we LOVE celebrities.

And breadsticks.  But mostly celebrities.

D-list, C-list, B-list—doesn’t matter.  We love ‘em.  One of the highlights of my LIFE was meeting Ryan Gosling in the Harris Teeter in Charleston when I was in college.   On my list of “big life moments,” it falls only slightly beneath giving birth to Lila and meeting Ryan.  Just kidding.  It falls above meeting Ryan.

Anyway, you can imagine how pumped we were to do a little celebrity-watching on our last trip, which ended in Los Angeles.  Unfortunately, our sightings were limited to Jay Leno (gag), and George from Grey’s Anatomy.  Not bad, but not great either.

So you can probably guess how excited we were when our trip to Santa Fe unexpectedly turned into a celebrity-sighting paradise.

First, Neil Patrick Harris was on my flight:

It was all I could do to keep from screaming out, “This flight is going to be legen—WAIT FOR IT!!!”

Sarah, at that same time, was running into celebrity food chef Anne Burrell in the NYC airport.

“Is that the one who looks like Guy Fieri?” I asked.

“Yep.”

Okay.  Not the best, but not bad.

Still, we wondered—was there a possibility that we might even view yet another celebrity during our time in Santa Fe?

On Saturday, we ate lunch at a place called Vinaigrette.  You know who else did?

HILARY. SWANK.

You might know her as an Oscar-winner, but I’ll always fondly remember her as Carly, single mother and Peach Pit waitress-extraordinaire.

It was pretty exciting.  You know what else was exciting?  The AWESOME salads at Vinaigrette, which we all agreed were some of the best food we had on the trip.  Their salads were super fresh, and they all had really interesting ingredient combinations.  I tried a rainbow chard salad, topped with orange slices, bacon, and goat cheese.  I knew I wanted to try some imitation of it at home, so last night, I put together this little number:

blog 013

Swiss chard, strawberries, blackberries, blue cheese crumbles, and pepitos.  So good!

I also made a fresh herb vinaigrette (!) to top it with:

blog 009

In the blender, I mixed olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, mint, and salt, then blended until creamy.   The salad marinated in the fridge for a few hours, which really helped the flavors to meld:

blog 016

blog 018

Not as good as Vinaigrette’s, but almost!

Tell me—what’s your most exciting celebrity sighting?

1. May 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Hilary Swank was on 90210? Your viniagrette looks good.

2. May 23, 2013 12:35 pm

The salad looks delicious! hahah. Its always funny when you see a celebrity…you never seem to know how to act/what to say. I’m obsessed with Barenaked ladies and I was walking onto a plane one time and they were sitting in first class. I looked at one of the members and went “you’re….you’re…you’re barenaked ladies…” and he said “ohmygosh we are”. I then just kept walking to my seat hahaha.

3. May 23, 2013 12:39 pm

I love this post! (And that salad looks delicious!) I think my best celebrity sighting was literally bumping into Claire Danes in a park when I was in high school. At first I was like, “Who is this skinny lady walking straight into me? Bitch.” Followed immediately by, “ZOMG It’s Angela Chase!” But seriously – she is very skinny.

• May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Oooooh, I would be very excited about that one. I would have asked her if she knew where Tino was. 😉

4. May 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I appreciate that your Hilary Swank reference is from BH 90210. I also remember her from the Lifetime movie about a crazy hazing sorority, Dying to Belong. Six from Blossom falls off the Union’s roof.

• May 23, 2013 1:14 pm

YES! And she falls in love with Zach Morris and they have sex in the library (or his reporter’s office?) while “Damn, I wish I Were Your Lover” plays in the background. Pretty saucy, Lifetime.

5. May 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I saw Meg Ryan in Cush’s Grocery in Shreveport. Also, I didn’t actually see Jennifer Garner but she did rent that house in South Highlands before she had to leave because people wouldn’t leave her alone (I guess that doesn’t really count, does it?)

• May 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Ha! No, that doesn’t count. Sorry, Mom. But Meg Ryan is exciting! And don’t forget that you’ve gone to church with Andre Braugher, which Dad likes to point out every chance he gets. 😉

6. May 23, 2013 4:49 pm

How on earth could I forget our close friend Andre Braugher?!? Thanks for reminding me. Also Dad remembered that we all saw Hugh Jackman on the street in New York, but of course he was coming out of his stage door after performing on Broadway. I think I’m really reaching now.

7. Louise permalink
    May 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I would die if I ran into NPH. I assume by your response to Leno, you are Team Coco. I am. Leno is lame!

8. May 23, 2013 10:24 pm

You crack me up! I love it! I wish I wasn’t so disillusioned by celebrities after Tony worked with a couple. Oh well, I live through your excitement! The salad looks amazing!