Chicken with (Garden!) Herbs

May 8, 2013

We don’t really have a strong history of keeping things alive in this house.

Well that’s not necessarily true.  We’ve kept this kid alive for at least a year:

blog 073

That’s something, right?  And our dogs—we’ve managed to keep them alive too:

…and we’ve even  been able to teach them valuable lessons about sharing.   Common sense, not so much.

Even Tenny, despite her constant petting-induced aggression, continues to thrive in our household:

But plants?  Plants we struggle with.  Which is why I’m a little leery about our pallet garden.  Don’t get me wrong—I LOVE it, and I’m so excited to have it as a summer project.  But I’m pretty sure that I could kill a plastic houseplant, given half the chance.  So I’m not totally optimistic about ALL of the stuff we planted making it through the summer alive.  We planted all sorts of herbs—basil, mint, lemon balm, oregano, rosemary—all sorts of things.  I decided to use some of the herbs in our dinner last night so that we could at least enjoy them before sending them off to that great herb garden in the sky:

Pasta (bucatini) with chicken, tomatoes, and herbs, all cooked in a lemon white wine sauce.

Perfect for late spring—meals like this get me SO excited for the summer produce soon to come.

Are you a good gardener?  Any tips for keeping things alive?

1. May 8, 2013 2:49 pm

That looks so fresh and delicious

2. May 8, 2013 3:23 pm

LOL – so humans and animals you’re good with, just not plants. That’s probably a huge plus 😉 I can grow some plants, but others not so much. Not sure why, but there are some that I just kill – like rosemary. Who kills rosemary?

3. May 8, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh Keith and I kill everything…everything. The fact that we’ve kept Bella alive for a year is a huge milestone! ha! 😉

4. May 8, 2013 4:50 pm

I’m not too great with plants… I once killed a succulent immediately upon bringing it home. I need to learn :/ Love the pallet garden though, good luck!

5. May 8, 2013 5:57 pm

The only thing I’ve been successful at keeping alive are humans. Plants, forget it. I even managed to let a goldfish die on my watch.

6. Kristi permalink
    May 8, 2013 6:28 pm

I use Miracle Grow planting mix with moisture control… covers a multitude of sins.

7. May 9, 2013 10:08 am

The reason most people kill plants is over watering – plants can come back from under watering pretty easily they just get a little dry but over watered plants get root rot and they can’t take nutrients or even more water from the soil…

• May 9, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks Joy! I think I’ve definitely been guilty of that in the past!!

8. May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I always have hopes to be better with plants. I’m hoping my garden grows this year. Last year was kind of eh…

Lila’s eyes…wow! She is just beautiful!