Weight, Weight, Don’t Tell Me

March 16, 2013

Sorry.  I really couldn’t think of any other title.

This weekend has started off with a fun bang!

Wait, that came out wrong.  Plus, let’s be honest—not many of our weekends are starting with a fun bang these days.

This weekend is off to a good start—there, that’s better.  Yesterday, Lila and I had a playdate at the park.  Then, last night, Ryan and I had a nice date night out.  This morning, we played around the house for a while in the morning:

DSC_0003DSC_0004DSC_0005

(she does heart her nerdy dad, btw)

…and then headed to the Y at 8:30, right when childcare opens.  Smile  Lila is great at the gym—she’s never made a fuss about being dropped off in the childcare area, and hopefully she never will.  We set her down, she runs towards the toys, and doesn’t even look back to wave goodbye!

Ryan and I worked out for about an hour.  I’ve been trying to come up with some sort of spring challenge, and I think I’ve figured out what I want to do: swap my cardio and strength training.  I usually spend MUCH more time doing cardio than weights, and for the next month, I’m going to do the opposite—keep cardio to a minimum of twenty minutes, and for the rest of my workout (usually about 30 minutes for a 50 minute total workout), I’ll do strength training.

I’ve said this before, but when it comes to muscle strength—well, I’ve got very little! I’m not someone who naturally builds muscle easily, and frankly, I think it shows.  I’d like to build a bit more muscle tone everywhere—especially in my arms and abs, which are basically muscle wastelands, especially post-Lila.  I don’t have a specific plan (ie, working these muscles these days, this many reps, this much weight, etc.), but I think that might actually help me stick with it more.  Simply switching the ratio of strength training to cardio is my first step, anyway—we’ll see how it goes from here.

Anyway.  I guess I’ll be posting some about this as I go along!

I enjoyed this post-workout smoothie (almond milk, blueberries, spinach, protein powder, banana, and almond butter):

…and now we’re about to shower and go run some errands.  Happy Saturday to you and yours!

DSC_0022DSC_0020

1. March 16, 2013 3:36 pm

I’m similar when it comes to muscle and strength training, not something that comes easily for me. Happy Saturday to you too! 🙂

2. itzyskitchen permalink
    March 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Her outfit is SO darn cute. Glad you guys are having a good weekend so far. Date nights make all the difference. Does your gym have body pump or any weights classes? May be a nice way to transition to more weights?

• March 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Erica, they do! And of course, I ALWAYS say I’m going to take them, and then I never do. I really should though!!

3. Kristyn permalink
    March 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Your post-workout smoothie sounds AMAZING, and I love Lila’s t-shirt. 🙂

4. March 16, 2013 5:26 pm

This sounds like a great challenge! I started doing more strength training in October of last year and have kept it up since then (in the form of crossfit). I have definitely noticed a difference in not only my body composition and strength but also my ability to run faster and work out stronger. I started keeping a log of all my workouts and it’s a great way to measure progress! I definitely recommend it 🙂 Good luck!

5. March 17, 2013 11:46 am

It’s funny, for the longest time I was doing more weights and less cardio, but now I’ve switched to more cardio and less weights (because I’m finally into running again!). We’re switching places 🙂
    Great looking smoothie, by the way!

6. March 17, 2013 8:48 pm

That’s awesome that she doesn’t mind being dropped off in the childcare area – and even better that the gym has that. You probably already know I’m going to cheer you on for the weights!

7. March 17, 2013 10:50 pm

I am the same way when it comes to muscle. I just don’t have a lot of it and don’t build it easily either.

• March 18, 2013 12:37 pm