Paint Crazy

March 7, 2013

Hello! Over the hump!  I’m ready for the weekend.  I’m ready for spring break.   Heck, I’m ready for summer, but I guess it’s a little early for that still.

Not much to report here, other than the fact that I’m going CRAZY with our paint samples.  I’ve decided that the dining room purple is, shall we say, not the right way to go?  After letting the samples sit and dry for a day, we went back over to the house to check-in, and I immediately looked at the wall and thought—“What am I thinking?!?!?”

So…square one.

Right now, I kind of want to take the lazy way out and just paint the dining room the same color green that we’ve decided on for the living room (I still like the color we picked for that), but I feel like I might wish we’d done something different if I go that route.

What goes with green?  Is it a cool or warm color?  I read in an interview that Martha Stewart picked out her house colors based on a satin ribbon that she found at a flea market—are you effing kidding me? Gah!

I had a bad dream about the paint samples last night—I really do feel like I’m kind of losing my mind.

The green is even taking over our meals:

Kale, edamame, broccoli, squash, and hemp seeds, stir-fried with tamari and toasted sesame oil.  We enjoyed this after I returned home from yoga last night.  And by “enjoyed,” I mean to say that we ate this while I droned on…and on…and on about paint colors.  You’re welcome, Ryan!

Seriously, can I just pay someone to come choose everything for me?

We’re going back over to the house today to meet with a contractor about a few projects—built-in bookshelves, etc.  Maybe HE can choose our colors for us!

Have a great day!!

1. ash_and_witty permalink
    March 7, 2013 3:29 pm

I have never painted a house, but I can imagine it’s a difficult process because those colors are like ON THERE. Hope the shelving appointment doesn’t have too many options.

2. March 7, 2013 3:29 pm

Um, I want that dinner please. That looks so comforting to me. And I kind of hated the process of picking out the colors too. I found a cool site through pinterest that helps you pick out schemes though. Love that idea!

3. March 7, 2013 3:45 pm

Visiting you for The Raw Project! Great blog! Lovely post! Neat dish!!! WONDERFUL photos! Looking forward to future posts!

4. Patti permalink
    March 7, 2013 5:12 pm

Paint seems like a big decision since you have to live with it everyday. At least it is not too hard to change it. The best thing we did last time was paint some swatches on the wall like you did. We tried at least 8 colors on our living room wall to decide. Green is officially a cool color. Other colors that can go well with it are neighboring colors (on the color wheel) or the complement(opposite on the color wheel) with any of their intensities. Have fun. We will be anxious to see it all later this spring. You could always paint some swatches on paper and see which one Lila goes to😊

5. March 7, 2013 8:05 pm

Actually, your idea of using the green for both rooms is not a bad one. It seems like it’s very neutral and the rooms might flow into each other nicely. Just an idea. And, yes, you can pay me to come and give my two cents – you know, I’m coming anyway, so I might as well make a little money (how much are you paying?) The best idea I ever got on paint colors was to paint the swatches on the wall, which you have done, and then wait several days, and revisit it. Sometimes, it just takes a little time to reach a decision and time can help with the process. (That will be $1.00)

6. March 8, 2013 1:36 am

It’s a pain in the ass, but you can always paint over it if you do a color you don’t like. We first painted our master bathroom purple, hated it and now it’s a light yellow.

7. Lisa permalink
    March 8, 2013 1:44 am

Hey – How do you feel about putting up a lighter grasscloth paper under the green? I know paper can be a pain in the tush, but I love the look, and it adds some texture. Google around and see if it it’s something you might like 🙂 Just found your blog this week and love the food ideas!

8. March 8, 2013 3:08 am

Painting is no fun, it was a disaster when hubby and I decided to paint the office in our last house dark red. And it took lots of layers to get back to white before selling! 😛

9. March 8, 2013 5:20 am

I totally understand! We are going through this right now with our house. We have a REALLY difficult time making decisions on colors. And then as soon as we agree on one, we put it on the wall, and hate it. :o) Find friends who can help you make the decisions! That has helped us soooo much.

10. Emo permalink
    March 8, 2013 7:38 pm

This weekend I’m going to paint the third room in our house the same color. I tried a few different colors, but when it was up on the wall, the same silver gray that we used in our breakfast nook and family room was the winner for our bedroom. If it isn’t broke, I guess.
    I have a hard time with color schemes, too — Nate Berkus’s first decorating book has some great, classic color schemes.

11. March 9, 2013 3:29 pm

um, that dinner looks amazing. I’ve never painted a house before and never want too!!!