Paints, Soup, Snow!

March 4, 2013

Hi friends! Happy Monday!

Or, unhappy Monday over here, rather—it’s not even 8:00 yet, and already I’ve stabbed my arm with some scissors and spilled my coffee.  I guess the rest of the day can only go up from here?

This weekend, we…closed on our house!

DSC_0001DSC_0003

Lila and I enjoyed the view from our new windows.  Winking smile

We had a little trouble—the heat wasn’t working upstairs when we did our walk-through.  But, we finally got it all worked out, and closed on the house right before 5:00 on Friday!

So, bright and early on Saturday, we drove (through snow!!?!? wtf, Alabama??) over to the house to test some paint samples:

We’ve decided on the bottom left for the living room.

Here’s something we tested for the dining room:

Okay, give me your honest opinion—am I crazy for wanting to paint the bottom portion of that dining room wall purple?  We’d keep the top neutral, so it would be an accent.  I think it could be fun! But it might be ridiculous.  Oh well.  We’re going to try it, and, as Ryan said, if we hate it, it’s about a two-hour project to paint it something a little more…understated.

Last night, with all of the unexpected cold weather, soup was definitely a must:

I made a vegetarian Tuscan white bean soup with kale, canned tomatoes, white beans, and basil.

Topped with parmesan shavings and crusty bread:

Perfection.

Okay.  Off to go teach.  With the way this morning is going, some kid will probably throw water on me.

Is it summer yet?

1. itzyskitchen permalink
    March 4, 2013 3:19 pm

That soup looks awesome! Especially with the crusty bread!! I am the worst decorator in the world…so I will give no thoughts

2. March 4, 2013 3:37 pm

Congrats on your house! So exciting. Not sure how I feel about the purples… I LOVE purple, but those have too much pink in them for me. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I keep dreaming of redecorating our house, but then I realize I’m super lazy 😉

3. Lani permalink
    March 4, 2013 4:03 pm

Congratulations on the house! I just found your blog recently and it’s great. (My sis is an English professor in another southern state, and she also has a little girl, which is fun. ) I like the purple but would go for one with some cool tones in it. Enjoy!

4. March 4, 2013 4:56 pm

So exciting on the house! I’m not sure I’d have the nerve to go with purple, but I’ve been seeing it on some of the HGTV shows and it’s gorgeous. And that soup? YUM.

5. March 5, 2013 9:37 pm

I’m not sure about the purple either. I think I would at least just paint one wall to see if you like it (and maybe pick a more subtle purple), and that way, it wouldn’t be too much to cover up if you decide against it. But, what do I know? I’ve definitely had my share of bad paint colors through the years. You might as well give it a try. Congratulations, again. We’re so happy for you!

6. March 6, 2013 12:15 am

Not crazy about the purple! I think color is bold and fresh and exciting. I’d go for it 🙂 We’re in the process of buying (and painting) our first house, so I’ve been elbow deep in pain samples. Thank you for sharing…I’m so glad I found your blog!

7. March 6, 2013 2:55 am

Great color choices, the green looks a lot like our office! And love the idea of purple in the dining room. The soup looks wonderful!

8. ash_and_witty permalink
    March 6, 2013 7:20 pm

I approve of the green color and the wood floors I keep seeing. I say try the purple; I like Ryan’s thinking.

awittylife.com

9. March 7, 2013 12:50 am

Congrats on the house! My MIL is obsessed with purple and their entire master bedroom is purple walls, purple carpet and it makes me want to hurl. A purple accent wall though? That would be awesome!

Our living room is painted green and with the hardwood floors, it’s easily my favorite room in the house!