One Pot Meals & Baby On the Move

February 28, 2013

Hi. (said in my best Ross voice)

Whew.  It’s been one of those weeks.  I feel like every spring semester, I hit a breaking point where I think, “MAN, is it summer yet??” and the answer is…nope.  Not even close.  We’re a month away from spring break, and frankly, I’m counting down the days.  My classes are all turning in papers, short stories, and poems galore, so I feel like every time I tackle one “to do” grading item, another one pops up.  It’s like the academic version of wack-a-mole.

On top of that, we close on our new house tomorrow.  First of all—YAY!!! It’s very exciting.  But it’s also very stressful, and frankly, we STILL don’t know when we’re going to move.  Not a single box has been packed.  We want to do some painting and maybe a little renovating before we move in, so we have an excuse…but it’s still kind of stressing me out that we’re about to own two houses.  Not that we haven’t been there before—I mean, we owned our Altoona house for almost a full year after moving down here to Huntsville!  But, obviously the faster we can get out of our current house and put it on the market, the better.

And on top of THAT, Lila has been a little run-down lately.  Not really sick, just a lot of congestion and drainage (I know—you really wanted to know that, right?).

Not that you would know it from the way she’s moving:

DSC_0023DSC_0024

DSC_0025DSC_0029

This baby is ON. THE. GO.

It makes life so much fun, but also, frankly, exhausting.  Guess I just need to get used to that, huh?

I don’t know who she gets all that energy from.

Certainly not me.  Or Ella.  Winking smile

Meals this week, not surprisingly, have been very easy.  During the week when I’m teaching, I’m a BIG fan of one pot meals- throw everything into a heavy pot, cook it down for a few hours, and dinner is ready.

Like this meal of chopped onions, okra, and stewed tomatoes:

I cooked the veggies for about an hour, stirred in some frozen shrimp right before eating, and served it over brown rice.  Healthy and easy.

Or this soup:

Which is basically the easiest soup on the block.  Into a large pot went: six cloves of garlic, 2 peeled, diced potatoes, 2 peeled, diced carrots, 1 head of broccoli, chopped, and six cups of chicken stock, plus seasonings (basil, oregano, salt and pepper).  Cooked it for about an hour until the veggies were totally soft, then blended it with my hand-held blender.  Topped with sharp cheddar and served with bread—SO easy, and tasty.

Well, that’s about it around here.  Tomorrow we close on the house, and I’m excited to put some pictures up for y’all to see!

Hope you have a great Thursday!

1. February 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Wes is EVERYWHERE these days – not running yet, but walking all over the house. I kinda love it, but it wears me OUT!

2. February 28, 2013 4:56 pm

hahaha…I know that exhaustion feeling. They’re EVERYWHERE! Fun …but I’m tired. SO exciting that you’re closing. Congrats!

3. Chelsey permalink
    February 28, 2013 7:27 pm

So we have the same bed sheets. It’s funny bc you include about one photo per blog post of your bed sheets and it always makes me double take. 🙂

4. February 28, 2013 9:35 pm

I wish corporate jobs got spring breaks. I really feel strongly that everyone should get one!

• March 1, 2013 12:20 am

I think so too! We’ve both been in school our ENTIRE lives, either as students or teachers, so we’re pretty much screwed if we ever have to take jobs that don’t get spring break, ha. It would be a very rude awakening 🙂

5. February 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Congrats on the house!!

6. March 1, 2013 5:42 am

Owning two houses is stressful, we did that for awhile too when we left Florida. But congrats on the house! And I’m jealous on spring break, I could use one too. 😛 Agreed on one pot meals, my favorite for a weeknight!

7. Mary Kilby permalink
    March 1, 2013 10:10 pm

Always enjoy your recipes & love hearing what’s going on in your life.
    I saw Sarah last weekend … she is just as witty as ever !!
    Good luck with the move 🙂

8. March 3, 2013 2:38 pm

congrats on the house! i am a huge fan of one pot meals too!

9. Lisa permalink