Homemade Lara Bars

February 25, 2013

I’ve been eating Lara bars for probably four or five years now.  And EVERY TIME I eat one, I turn over the wrapper, look at the very simple ingredient list (for example: peanuts and dates), and think, “I could make these.”

Every.  Time.

And now, five years later, here we are:

And you know what?  I was right—I could make them! These taste JUST like the peanut butter cookie Lara bars.  And sure enough, they were SO easy to make.

Two cups of peanuts:

10 pitted dates (about 1.5 cups):

Pulsed in the food processor for about two minutes, until it looked like this:

…and then pressed into an 8×8 pan that had been lined with saran wrap.  I used the top of the wrap to press the bars down to ensure that they would be nice and firm.  Refrigerate for a few hours, and then cut into bars.  A few of the bars were a little crumbly, and those I rolled into balls.  Still dang tasty:

And now I’ll never have to complain about the price of Lara bars again.  I can’t wait to experiment with different flavors and combos.

Hope your Monday is off to a great start!

xx

1. February 25, 2013 2:03 pm

YUM love the simplicity of this. I always figured lara bars were pretty simple. I just never keep dates on hand or think to use them in treats. Can’t wait to see what other flavors you come up with.

2. February 25, 2013 2:19 pm

So good! I’ve seen a few recipes for lara bars and have been meaning to try them…I just never get around to it for some reason. YUM!

3. February 25, 2013 6:20 pm

I love Lara Bars and how few ingredients they have in them. I neeeeed a food processor! The coconut cream bars are my fave… yum 🙂

4. February 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Well I”ll be damned. Even I could make those!

5. February 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Those look SO good! I needed a good substitute for Nakd bars and Lara Bars because they get so pricy- this looks simple and perfect. Thanks Anna! 🙂

6. February 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Peanut butter cookie is my favorite lara bar flavor. It’s been on my “to make” list for about 5 years as well 🙂 Thanks for breaking the ice for me!

7. February 26, 2013 5:22 am

These look fabulous, I adore making my own Lara Bar-like snacks and need to try a peanut version!

8. ginger635 permalink
    February 26, 2013 7:30 pm

I don’t think I’ll make these because they have too many ingredients! : )

9. February 26, 2013 10:18 pm

These sound perfect! Easy and delicious! I bet they’re cheaper to make too than buying Lara Bars. I’m gonna have to try them!

10. February 27, 2013 10:56 pm