Mexican Dinner

February 16, 2013

Hello! Good Saturday morning!

I did something funky to my neck at the beginning of last week, and then on Wednesday, I turned my head wayyyyy too quickly, and popped something in it—GAH!! It’s been super tender and stiff for the past few days, but this morning, it actually feels normal again, thank goodness.  Here’s hoping this is the sign of a good day to come.

Last night, we had a Mexican feast for dinner:

Black beans, cheddar cheese, avocado, greek yogurt, tomatoes, peppers, chips, salsa, and homemade Mexican brown rice.

We usually go the easy route and buy the 90 second microwavable packages of Spanish rice, but I’m trying to do a better job of taking the time to cook our grains from big (cheap) bags instead of getting the (easy) microwave bags.  For this spanish rice, I cooked up 4 minced cloves of garlic, half a chopped onion, and half a cup of salsa with the required liquid and rice, plus garlic salt, cumin, and turmeric for seasoning and color:

Delicious! And not that much more effort than rice-in-a-pouch.

I think we’re off to the gym—have a great Saturday!

1. February 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Oh ouch, Glad it’s better for the weekend. Perfect timing right 😉 Enjoy!

2. February 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Glad your neck is starting to feel better. I LOVE, LOVE Mexican food and your feast sounds yummy!

3. February 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Glad your neck is feeling better and yay for the weekend!

4. February 16, 2013 4:46 pm

YUM! Everything looks fabulous. Mexican is the best. Glad the neck is feeling better!!

5. February 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Eek! I would’ve gone running to my chiropractor. Glad it’s feeling better!

6. Kristie permalink
    February 18, 2013 2:00 am

So this will sound dumb, but for the Spanish rice do you put everything in and then cook it up like you would regular rice? It looks delicious and I’ve never really known how it’s done :).

• February 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Yep, that’s what I did– I sauteed the onions and garlic, and then added the salsa, plus rice and water. The rice took a little longer to cook, but it was otherwise just like cooking regular rice!