Five years later, I give the oatmeal pancake a whirl

February 10, 2013

If you’re anything like me, blogs come and go in your reader.  While I have a core set of about fifteen(ish) smaller blogs that I love to read regularly and comment on frequently (I try!), I’m also constantly adding new blogs to my reader.  Some of them I end up loving, and they become a part of that core group.  Some of them I read for a while, decide they’re not for me, and just move on.

I used to read a lot of the “big” healthy living blogs—you know the ones I’m talking about.  But, over the years, and for various reasons, I began to drop them from my reader one by one.  Some of them started to feel like one long product endorsement.  Some of them seemed bored by their own content.  And some of them I just didn’t really relate to any more.

In fact, the only “BIG” blog that I still read—and that I have always read—is Kath Eats Real Food—KERF, that is.  She was actually the first “healthy living” blog that I started to follow—five, maybe even six years ago.  It’s crazy to me that I’ve read this blog for so long—it’s probably crazy to Kath too that she has readers who have followed her through so many ins and outs of her daily life.  Sometimes when I’m reading KERF, I feel like Jack Twist:

…because especially now that I have a baby, there are certainly better things that I could be doing with my time than reading blogs.  But there’s something about KERF that I just can’t give up.  It’s been this weird constant in my life for so long—wake up, make coffee, eat breakfast, read KERF—and for that reason alone, I love it.

This is ALL to say that five years ago, Kath posted a recipe for an oatmeal pancake that became a kind of internet hit, and this morning, I finally got around to making it myself.  Me, late to the party?  Never!

The recipe for Kath’s oatmeal pancake is here.  I gave mine a little extra protein boost with an added scoop of vanilla protein powder, and it was delicious.  Thanks, Kath! Smile

Hope you have a great Sunday!

xx

1. February 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Kath was the first “big” healthy living blog I read too! I stopped reading her’s a while go, but there are a few I still like. My issue with some “smaller” blogs is that people drop off and stop blogging. Then I get disappointed because I want to know what’s up with that blogger but they dropped off the face of the Earth. #firstworldproblems

• February 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Yep, I know what you mean– with the big blogs, you at least know that there will be regular posting! Not that I have any room to complain about, you know, bloggers not posting regularly. Ha!

2. February 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I use my google reader the SAME way. Some come and go…a few always remain. The only “big” blogs I still read regularly are Meals and Miles & Carrots N Cake. I do read Kath fairly often too. Delicious pancake. happy Sunday

3. February 10, 2013 7:59 pm

This looks really fluffy and sounds super healthy! I love Kath, she’s awesome! Everytime I find a blog I like I end up adding it to Google reader and my list just keeps on getting longer and longer but I still keep coming back to quite a few… and end up procrastinating a lot… Or doing ‘research’. 😉

4. February 10, 2013 10:37 pm

That was the first healthy living blog that I read too.

5. February 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Heading over to check out the recipe. And I’m with you. I used to read all the big ones too, but found myself not being as interested. I prefer the interaction you get with smaller blogs I suppose. It’s nice to actually have someone respond back or how about even read your blog too.

6. February 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Mmmm….oatmeal pancakes are definitely a favourite breakfast of mine. I always add protein powder and if you make a bigger batch on the weekend, you can eat them all week long — just toast and enjoy!

And I totally relate to your feelings about big blog v small blog – the Fitnessista’s blog is probably the same for me as KERF is to you, but generally I enjoy following the smaller blogs more — I have more in common with them and can relate to their daily ramblings 😉

7. February 11, 2013 8:23 pm

I live vicariously through Kath and Matt. I always wanted to own a bakery in a small town…yeah, I’m jealous. She keeps it real and I do love reading her adventures in health, life and business. I also love oatmeal in my pancakes! This looks perfect!

8. February 12, 2013 12:50 am

Smile. I loved hearing your thoughts on blogs (the ones you read…the ones you don’t) The very first blog I read was Kath’s…and this post reminded me to go back and visit. I never made an oatmeal pancake (but I’ve seen them again and again) Maybe you’ll be my inspiration this time!

9. February 12, 2013 5:37 am

Great opinions on blogs and I agree, my reader has changed a lot over the years and I’ve watched a lot of blogs change and they became more “mainstream” and endorsed. KERF is great and still a regular for me.