Chicken Nugget Tofu Bites

January 31, 2013

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that every “meat replacement” product tastes just like its carnivore-friendly counterpart.  Tempeh will never taste like bacon.  Boca crumbles aren’t exactly ground beef.  And don’t get me started on veggie hot dogs.

But these tofu bites?

My very first thought upon popping one into my mouth was, These taste like chicken nuggets.

Really—they do.  And they’re SO simple.

Chicken Nugget Tofu Bites

1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (I used Nasoya extra firm sprouted tofu, and pressed mine with my tofu press, which I LOVE and would highly recommend if you regularly cook with tofu.  Pressing it with the press is so much less messy and time-consuming than pressing it between pots or heavy books)

3 tbsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1/4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.

Cut tofu into 1 inch square cubes.  Put in mixing bowl and add olive oil, salt, and breadcrumbs.  Toss well, pressing the salt/breadcrumb mixture gently into the cubes with your hands.

Place tofu pieces individually on a non-stick baking pan (my silpat worked GREAT with this), and bake in oven for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, turn the oven off, but leave the tofu in the oven for another 20-30 minutes.  Leaving the tofu in will allow the bites to keep cooking for a while, and will really help them to firm up and have a great chewy factor.

Nuggets:

image

Suck on that, chicken nuggets.

Hope you’re having a great Thursday!

1. January 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Those look great! I don’t have a press but need one. I have a little set up where I use bricks and a cast iron grill pan. It can get tricky trying to put it in the fridge.

• February 2, 2013 2:18 pm

Heather, see my comment below…you can press outside the fridge with the EZ Tofu Press because it can squeeze the water out in 10-15 minutes (firm and extra firm). Saves time!

2. January 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Ow fun! I haven’t had much luck with at home tofu…so I usually stick to ordering it at restaurants. Maybe I should give it another go

3. February 1, 2013 12:22 am

So simple and so delicious! Ryan loves tofu (and chicken nuggets) so I can’t wait to make these for him. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

4. February 1, 2013 3:21 am

I honestly think a veggie hot dog tastes like a real hot dog. Then again, I haven’t had a real hot dog since i was about 14.

• February 1, 2013 1:10 pm

That’s funny– veggie dogs are really the ONLY faux meat product that I don’t like!

5. February 1, 2013 1:17 pm

I need to get me a tofu press. These nuggets look very tasty. BTW, I made your lemon curry lentils last night, and we both loved them. Can’t wait to try these bites!

6. February 1, 2013 3:35 pm

How fun and delicious, must try these for my nieces!

7. February 1, 2013 6:49 pm

I’m starving right now and these look amazing! what a great idea.

8. February 2, 2013 2:09 pm

Yes, I tofu press is invaluable! I use the EZ Tofu Press, saves paper towels and all the mess! I can press the water out in 10-15 minutes and Im good to go with the marinade or crumbs!

9. February 3, 2013 2:09 am

Wow, I’ve been looking for a good way to make crispy tofu for dips and whatknot. This sure beats anything involving frying in oil!

I’m also intrigued by this tofu press idea. It would probably be more convenient than the tower of cutting boards, books and protein powder jars I usually make…

Trackbacks