“Snow” Day

January 18, 2013

Back when we lived in Pennsylvania, it seriously had to look like this:

blog 022

…for Penn State to cancel school.

Now that we’re down in Alabama? A light dusting:

…is enough to send everyone running (actually, driving…very, very, very slowly) to the grocery store.  Businesses close down, everyone talks about the SNOW!!!!!!, and—yep—school is canceled.

Fine with me! Normally Ryan teaches all afternoon and evening on Thursdays, but yesterday, we were all home together, enjoying the snow day!

Luckily, we’d taken a trip to Target the day before and picked up some new “winter weather” toys for Lila, so we had the perfect thing to occupy her for hours:

DSC_0011DSC_0049

BALLS!

If there’s one thing Lila likes, it’s a ball.  Simple pleasures are the best, I guess.  We got this HUGE package of balls from Target for ten dollars, and she was going crazy for them.  Works for me!

Last night, we were in the mood for something warm and comforting for our snow day dinner.  I cooked up this chickpea and apricot stew:

image

…which was perfect for the chilly weather outside.

Chickpea and Apricot Stew

1 onion, chopped

6-7 garlic cloves, minced

1.5 cups dried apricots halves

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can chickpeas

1 tsp. garam masala

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. garlic salt

4 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth

Directions:

Heat olive oil.  Add onion and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft.  Add garlic and apricots, and cook for 5 more minutes.  Add spices, tomatoes, and chickpeas, and stir to combine.  Add chicken broth, bring a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until thickened.

Serve over couscous.

Well, turns out we have another snow day.  Or, rather, a snow morning—classes don’t start until 10, and I teach at 8:00 and 9:00, so I’m in luck!

Lila just sent out an e-mail to my students:

Smile …and now we’re off to enjoy our Friday!

1. January 18, 2013 4:11 pm

We had the same thing happen when we moved to Little Rock! When we were in Colorado nothing was ever EVER cancelled, but there was a tiny dusting of snow this week and they cancelled school and work in the middle of the day. YAY 🙂

2. January 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Welcome back to the south huh??? We had some snow/sleet on Tuesday and people freaked the heck out. Took people up to 6 hours to get home in some cases. But if everyone would have stayed at work, it turned over to rain and was fairly clear by 4-ish – other than those fun over passes and sidewalks. Anyway – that dish look fantastic. I really need to make that!

• January 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Ha, YES. Southerners definitely do NOT know how to drive in the snow over about 15 mph. 🙂

3. January 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Oh man that stew looks awesome. I’m definitely putting that on my list of things to make.

Now that I’m in California and not central NY, one thing is for sure. I definitely don’t miss heavy snow.

• January 18, 2013 7:25 pm

I miss it *just a bit*– like, I wish we could get ONE heavy snow down here per winter. Have fun in it, let it melt, and then move on to spring 🙂

4. January 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Wow, this stew looks incredible. I love the thickness of the sauce… note to self! Enjoy the snow day — sadly Boston would just laugh at a dusting and we would be not-so-merrily off to school… as we were on Wednesday!

• January 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Haha,..my mom always tells a story about when her family moved to New York from Louisiana for a few years when she was a little girl, and on the first day it snowed, my grandfather stayed home from work, just assuming that it had been canceled. She said his office called and asked, “Where the hell are you???” Southerners are used to not having to go ANYWHERE when it snows, ha!

5. January 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Ya gotta love the crazy south, don’t ya! I’m glad you guys got a snow day. Max was PISSED this morning that not only was there no snow, but not even ice to keep him home! Enjoy your snow day with your family! Dinner looks perfect for the cold weather!

• January 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Aww! Nothing sucks worse when you’re a kid than expecting to get a day off and not getting it.

6. January 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Oh penn state. I remember walking to class in that junk! Glad you guys are having fun inside. What a yummy dish. I really like dried apricots…I will give this a try!

• January 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Ugh– having to walk to my classes in the snow was always the worst! You get there and you’re so cold and wet (and then the building is like, 108 degrees!!)

7. Patti permalink
    January 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I really like apricots and this looks delicious. I’m glad you enjoyed your snow day!

8. January 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Yay for a snow day! This apricot chickpea stew sounds amazing. Love all the flavor combinations going on.

9. January 19, 2013 11:33 am

I love this stew – I enjoy dried fruits in stews a lot. Sounds delicious!

10. January 19, 2013 12:54 pm

How fun, a snow day with balls!! Love to hear that Lila loves balls. Like mother like daughter 😉 haha, that was for you!

• January 19, 2013 1:05 pm

It took real restraint for me to write this post without a single inappropriate ball joke. 🙂

11. January 19, 2013 1:19 pm

So funny! I know our nephews were excited about the snow day, too. We have basically had snow on the ground here since before Christmas. You miss it, right?

• January 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Haha…you know, I *DO* miss it a little– I wish we could have ONE big snow a year, like a PA-worthy snow…and then be done with it. 🙂