Broccoli Rob and Squatternut Bosh

January 17, 2013

Whenever I see broccoli rabe in a recipe or in the store, all I can think of is this:

…which happens to be one of my favorite pieces of monologue from television EVER.

But who knew that in addition to being a founding member of Here Comes Treble, broccoli rabe is also a tasty, healthy addition to pasta?

Andy Bernard probably knew that.  He went to Cornell—ever heard of it?

Anyway.

Tonight, after I braved the cold and rain (STILL) to go to yoga class, I came home in the mood for some serious comfort food.  This pasta dish fit the bill.

Earlier in the afternoon, I peeled, cubed, and roasted a big butternut squash.

PS—remember when Joey talks about Ross saying “squatternut bosh” on Thanksgiving?

PPS—do you think I watch too much tv?

Anyway, while I was at yoga, Ryan cooked up some pasta.  Then, when we got home, I stripped the broccoli rabe off its stalks, heated about 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a pan, and sauteed the greens with garlic salt and (crazy, I know) a little honey.  That bit of sweetness really helps to balance out the slightly bitter greens.  I learned that trick from my Italian grandmother. Just kidding—I learned it from Rachael Ray.

The adults had:

Pasta with broccoli rabe, butternut squash, and ricotta cheese.

The baby had:

…small pieces of squash and pasta, both of which she LOVED.  She’s really into finger foods right now, and the squash and pasta were perfect for that.   She cleared her tray about four times.

Lila has also figured out that if she lowers her hand during a mealtime:

…Ella is right there to lick all of the tasty goodness.  That’s totally sanitary, right?

The rest of the evening is going to involve wine, cookies, and Homeland, in no particular order.

Good night!

1. January 17, 2013 4:14 am

hahah- it gets even more exciting once they figure out the dog likes them if they drop food on the floor…The pasta dish looks so yummy. Especially with that blob of ricotta involved.

• January 17, 2013 4:14 am

I’m actually dreading that, because I KNOW once she figures out how much more fun it is to throw food on the floor for the dogs instead of eating it herself, that’s ALL she’s going to do! 🙂

2. January 17, 2013 1:09 pm

I’ve never had broccoli rabe. I’ve made a similar looking dish (for Thanksgiving day with my mom and sister) using kale. I think it’s kind of hard to go wrong with a winter squash period.

• January 17, 2013 2:08 pm

It tasted a LOT like kale– and really, given the choice, I think I’d choose kale, but it was fun to try something new!

3. ginger635 permalink
    January 17, 2013 1:13 pm

That looks so good! I love anything with winter squash, too (especially soup!)

4. Emo permalink
    January 17, 2013 5:30 pm

A friend of mine just posted a very similar picture with her nine-month old daughter and their pointer. The caption? “Trust me, they both know what they’re doing.” Poor Baxter.

• January 19, 2013 12:20 am

Ah, he does okay– she’s also figured out how much fun it is to throw food on the floor, so he just waits patiently for the food to rain down. The dogs have told us that, despite their initial trepidation, they’re starting to like having a baby in the house, after all. 🙂

5. January 18, 2013 3:26 am

Haha! I love The Office! Andy Bernard (the nard dog) is my favorite! This broccoli rate and butternut pasta looks so tasty.