A Coupla Breakfasts

January 6, 2013

It took me a really long time to decide how to spell “coupla” (as in, “a couple of”).

I think “coupla” is right.  But now I can’t stop pronouncing it “coop-la” in my head.

Anyway.

It’s been a good weekend over here—LOTS of work done, and a little play.  Yesterday we ran errands to Goodwill, Costco, and Staples (office supplies are definitely the best part about starting any new semester).

And then, last night, I got one of my “Christmas presents”—Ryan got us tickets to see West Side Story!  We had a nice dinner date beforehand, and then enjoyed the show.  It’s the first official “date” we’ve been on, just the two of us, in quite a while.  And we actually managed to spend a large portion of it NOT talking about the baby.  Winking smile

Speaking of the baby…foods are still going well.  Here are a few breakfasts we’ve had around here, as of late:

DSC_0038DSC_0045

Smoothie and coffee for me.  In this smoothie: almond milk, coconut milk, frozen blueberries, 1/2 banana, kale, and protein powder.

That same morning, Lila gave clementines a try:

DSC_0040DSC_0042

…and she loved them! Of course she did—they’re basically like candy! Smile

This morning, since I had some time, I decided to make steel-cut oats for myself.  I made a double-batch and decided to use some to make a few breakfast batches for Lila.  I boiled the water and oats with half a banana and four frozen strawberries (they melt down and break apart during the cooking process).

Then, I scooped out my serving and added a scoop of vanilla protein powder:

For Lila’s, I let it cool, then pulsed it in the food processor after adding…kale!  Why not?  It’s basically tasteless, and gets a little extra green in there! I microwaved a small leaf of kale with a little water to wilt it, and then added that to the oats.

Done processing:

…and ready to eat!  Lila had already eaten breakfast when I made this, so she’ll have it tomorrow.  I’ll let you know how she likes it!

Well…it’s our last day of winter break.  Sad smile

I know, I know…poor us.  Only a month off.  Well, we certainly enjoyed it.  And now, it’s back to work!

Enjoy your Sunday!

1. January 6, 2013 3:45 pm

A month off …so jealous! Glad you guys enjoyed it. Kay is a fruit addict- I haven’t found a fruit she doesn’t like. I like sneaking in veggies in unexpected places too. Delicious!

2. January 6, 2013 3:51 pm

Oh those oats sound so good. I haven’t made steel cut in ages actually. I think it’d be SO hard to go back to work after a month off.

• January 6, 2013 10:06 pm

Going back after Christmas break isn’t *that* hard, because you’re still kind of in work-mode. Going back after the summer– now THAT is rough!! 🙂

3. January 6, 2013 9:03 pm

So, how was West Side Story? I’ve been singing those songs all day!

• January 6, 2013 10:06 pm

It was good! They sang a bunch of the songs in about half-English, half-Spanish, which was interesting. Obviously that wouldn’t have been a problem with you, what with your fluency in Spanish and all… 😉

4. Jill permalink
    January 6, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Anna, can I ask your weekly workout log? Are you really into fitness like other bloggers ?

Also, what kind of protein powder do you use? I have a lot of digestive issues…looking for something I can order online (CHEAPLY from Canada) but that will be good on tummy and tongue. However, I tend to align more with a paleo type lifestyle which promotes whey IF choosing a powder…but I also like the idea of maybe PlantFusion or LifeBasics or ..what? Again, not sure where to order online from Canada, cheapest.

• January 7, 2013 1:40 am

Hi Jill,

I definitely wouldn’t say that I’m into fitness like some of the other bloggers I read– I read a lot of bloggers who do crossfit or other “extreme” workouts, and while I admire them for going for fitness so hard-core, it’s just not me (especially in where I am right now as far as balancing motherhood and working). I ran a few half-marathons before I got pregnant, but that was about as extreme as I ever got with fitness. These days, I don’t even really “work out.” I go to yoga about three times a week (two of those times are hot yoga and more challenging classes; one class is not hot and isn’t quite as challenging). In addition, I walk a lot– probably 3-5 miles a day? I try to get out with Lila in the stroller at least once a day, if not twice or even more when the weather is nice.

I’d like to start going to the gym more regularly to get a little more strength-training in, so hopefully that will happen once we get back to our regularly-scheduled lives after the semester starts. Winter is always kind of tough for me, because I’m definitely an outdoor exerciser– I would much rather just go for a walk (or run) than lift weights in the gym, any day!

Whew! Long answer! As far as protein powder goes, I use Jay Robb whey powder mainly because it tastes really good and isn’t going to cost me my life’s savings. I’m definitely not a protein powder snob– just a simple whey protein is usually what we buy (Jay Robb or otherwise). I’ve bought more expensive plant-based proteins in the past, but honestly, I never thought they tasted very good– pretty chalky. Of all the plant-based ones I’ve tried, Vega powders were always my favorite. But they can be pricey $$$.