Detox Soup

December 27, 2012

I know, right?

What a surprise.

I’m sure there will be 2,305,004 recipes posted around the blog world in the next few weeks for “detox” recipes.

So you know what?  I won’t call this “Detox Soup.”  I’ll call it “I ate too many Christmas cookies, buried my face in chocolate covered pecans, ate my weight in spiced nuts, slept on a bed of rum cake, and finished it all off with a big ol’ glass of milk punch every night” soup.

Better?

Really, this soup is just a tasty way to eat a ton of vegetables, which is all we felt like eating last night after the past few days’ shenanigans.  Ryan and I make this soup at home a lot as well—it’s nice, because you can essentially add in whatever you want, and it will still taste great.  Don’t like broccoli?  Leave it out.  Want to make it vegetarian? Leave out the chicken, and add in some beans instead.  Use ditalini pasta instead of orzo.  Or use barley.  Or just leave it out.

You get the idea.

Detox Soup

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

1 small head broccoli, chopped

1 small zucchini, chopped

3-4 cups kale, torn into small pieces

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/4 cup chopped thyme, rosemary, and oregano (or whatever herbs you like)

1/2 cup frozen corn

1/2 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup orzo

8 cups chicken stock

2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces

In a large soup pot, heat 1-2 tbsp. olive oil.  Add onion and garlic, and cook until beginning to turn golden.  Add fresh vegetables and herbs (don’t add the frozen veggies yet).  Cook for 5-10 minutes, until beginning to soften.  Season with garlic salt and pepper.  Add stock, corn, peas, and orzo.  Bring to a boil.

While soup is heating to a boil, add another tbsp. of olive oil to a second pan.  Add chicken pieces and cook until starting to brown on each side (they’ll cook more in the soup, so don’t worry about cooking them through).

Add chicken to boiling soup.  Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Optional: Top with grated cheese (swiss and parmesan are both good).

Enjoy!

Ah, vegetables.  How I missed you so.

1. December 27, 2012 3:46 pm

I cant wait to get back to healthy home cooking! The soup looks fantastic

• December 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah, healthy cooking at home always sounds SO nice after indulgent holiday fare! 🙂

2. December 27, 2012 3:57 pm

This sounds yummy! I’ve been meaning to make a soup since it’s been so chilly up here in PA for the past week! Bring on the veggies.

• December 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Yeah…don’t miss those PA winters, ha. 🙂 Stay warm, Amber!!!

3. December 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Yep, that’s how I “detox” too, lots of veggies!! Sounds wonderful.

4. December 28, 2012 1:36 am

I’m making your holiday salad for detox dinner. As close to a detox as I get 😀

5. December 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Works for me! I have been wanting nothing but veggies right about now myself.

6. Jill permalink
    January 3, 2013 12:59 pm

I don’t have kale….and I’m not a fan of grains in soup, but other than that, this looks interesting. How many servings? (and how many cups per serving?). I’m looking for a really reeally simple recipe just for 1-2 people…so I’ll keep looking 🙂

• January 3, 2013 1:11 pm

This soup definitely makes more than 1 or 2 servings– but it freezes well too!!

7. September 6, 2013 7:09 am