Homemade Advent Calendar

December 5, 2012

One of the Christmas traditions that Ryan and I have developed over the past few years has been to keep an advent calendar.  We’ve usually gone the store-bought route, choosing whichever calendar looks like it has the best chocolate.  A few years ago, we bought our own little wooden advent calendar.  It was cute, but it didn’t hold very much.

I saw some really cute wall-hanging advent calendars in the Pottery Barn catalog this year, and thought about buying one for our family.  Then I thought, “Why not just make one?  It can’t be the hard.”

Famous. Last. Words.

I’ve mentioned on the blog before my utter lack of crafting skills.  I want to be crafty.  I so admire those who are crafty.

But, more often than not, my attempts at craftiness end up looking like rejects from a summer camp arts and crafts class.

So I’ll admit: overall, I’m pleased with how this advent calendar turned out:

Photo: Homemade advent calendar-- finished just under the wire! #crafting

Pretty cute! You’d never mistake it for one from Pottery Barn (I’m pretty sure the Pottery Barn calendars don’t have the date “22” listed twice—oops!), but that’s okay.

Not surprisingly, this took a lot longer than I thought it would.  But, I was able to work on it little by little throughout November, and I officially finished it the night before December 1st—right in the nick of time!

I sewed this Christmas printed burlap together into a Christmas tree-esque shape:

…and then sewed on felt pockets for each day.  I also sewed individual sacks to place in each pocket—ready to be filled with treats!

photo (99)

I made the (foolish) decision to sew on each pocket by hand with embroidery thread.  The end result is cute, but it would have been MUCH faster to just sew them by machine.  Oh well.

Finally, I tied a ribbon at the top (for hanging) and stenciled each pocket with white paint for the date:

…et voila! Pockets ready to be filled with treats to celebrate the holiday season!

DSC_0822DSC_0820

Ryan and I filled the pockets for each other this year, but next year, I think Lila will be old enough to take part in the tradition as well! This craft project was a little more work than I thought it would be, but it’s worth it to have a special calendar that we’ll use year after year.

1. December 5, 2012 3:28 pm

I SO want to be crafty too- I just don’t have it in me. This turned out super cute. Plus, you get an extra treat on the 22nd 😉

2. December 5, 2012 3:35 pm

I love it when you get crafty! Such a cute idea and it might have taken longer than expected, but think of the memories when you get to use it for Lila next year 😉

3. December 5, 2012 5:42 pm

This looks pretty crafty to me! It came out great!

4. December 5, 2012 7:21 pm

I LOVE IT!
    I’ll admit it though, when I clicked on this post I was imagining a chocolate advent calendar, with homemade chocolates. That’s because I’m craving chocolate today, BIG TIME. Just had my second piece and it’s only 2:20pm. Yikes.
    Lila will love this. You’re so crafty!

5. December 6, 2012 1:10 pm

You know what? You have ALWAYS been crafty! I remember that pillow-sewing class we took together – yours was so much better! And, all those beads you collected and used from the time you were about 10 – don’t ever say you aren’t crafty. I love the calendar.

6. December 6, 2012 6:12 pm

What are you talking about, “not crafty”? This is amazing! I can’t even sew, so I’ll never be able to complete something like this. So cute!

7. December 7, 2012 3:10 am

Looks pretty crafty to me and I’m envious of your mad crafty skills because this looks fabulous!

8. December 10, 2012 12:49 pm

This is so creative! I would have completely botched this project. Lila is lucky to have a competent and craft mama!