Trim the Tree

December 3, 2012

Ryan and I have been together for over six years.  That’s a lot of Christmases.  Actually, it’s six.  But who’s counting?

The first year we celebrated Christmas together, I had *just* rescued Ella from our drunk, asshole next-door-neighbor who threw her out into the snow one early December morning:

(Please, send me back to the drunkard.)

Poor cattledog! She had three types of worms and weighed only eleven pounds.   Luckily, we had a sweater to keep her warm:

That was also the year that Ryan danced along with this light-up hotdog.  In case you were wondering.

Year after year, we’ve had some pretty great Christmases…but there’s one thing we’d never done before this year: gotten a tree!  Because we’re on the university schedule (first as grad students, and now as teachers ourselves), we’ve always gotten a really long holiday break, and have spent the majority of that holiday with our families, both in Seattle and in Louisiana.  Because we’re not really home for much of December, getting a tree has always seemed like more trouble than it’s worth.

But this year, things are a little different:

I just couldn’t fathom celebrating Lila’s first Christmas without a tree of our own.  So, even though we’re traveling a lot over this Christmas, this week, we headed out to get a tree for our house.  Since we got the tree before December first even arrived, we’ll actually be able to enjoy it for quite a while before we leave.

She was in awe of the Christmas trees—so much so that we couldn’t get her to look at the camera for a decent picture.  Winking smile

DSC_0510DSC_0523

And, a few days after we got the tree, it was so much fun to hang ornaments with Lila:

DSC_0537DSC_0540DSC_0550

She was mesmerized by the lights and colors…and has since pulled down multiple ornaments.  We tried to put all of the unbreakable ones on the bottom of the tree…but she’s still got her eyes on some of the pretty glass ones.

Hope you had a good weekend!

1. December 3, 2012 4:46 am

Such cute pics, adorable post! I’m still mesmerized by Christmas trees! 🙂

2. December 3, 2012 12:26 pm

Yayyyyy! So fun to do holiday things with the kiddos. That is so sad about your neighbor and your dog. Glad you got him away from such a horrible situation

• December 4, 2012 5:20 pm

Yep, all of the holiday stuff that was fun before is even MORE fun now that Lila is here 🙂

3. December 3, 2012 2:08 pm

I love Christmas trees! We aren’t getting ours until next weekend, so I have to be patient (yeah, right lol), but for now I’m going to pull out all our other Christmas decorations!

• December 4, 2012 5:20 pm

I love putting out the decorations! So fun!

4. Patti permalink
    December 3, 2012 5:51 pm

Fun times with Lila with many more to come

• December 4, 2012 5:20 pm

Yep, many more to come! We’re excited for our trip!

5. December 3, 2012 11:55 pm

Amazing how much can change and how quickly 6 years goes by. I remember you telling that story of rescuing Ella. She was meant to be with you guys!

• December 4, 2012 5:19 pm

She was definitely meant to be with us– it still makes me mad when I think about how poorly that asshole was treating her.

6. December 4, 2012 2:55 am

Beautiful tree! YAY for rescuing poor, sweet Ella! Sad story with a happy ending… I wish there were more of those!

• December 4, 2012 5:19 pm

I know– I’m glad she got a happy ending too! 🙂

7. December 4, 2012 4:09 am

Super cute pictures…and love that you rescued the dog!!

8. December 4, 2012 9:14 pm

I love that you guys are making memories like this! Enjoy your long break with your family!

9. December 5, 2012 12:36 am

Beautiful tree, and beautiful baby! Decorating the tree is so much fun – I have never gotten tired of it! We put ours up last weekend (I think that’s the earliest yet) and have loved having it. Can’t wait for you guys to come!!s

10. Erin permalink
    December 6, 2012 3:07 am

My brother just showed me this large moveable gate they bought to put around the tree in hopes of keeping my almost 8 month old nephew away. At the rate that kid is going, he’ll be walking by Christmas!