Sunday Dinner

November 19, 2012

On Thursday, we went to a special Christmas Bazaar farmers’ market in downtown Huntsville.  Among the items we purchased?

Brussels sprouts (a favorite of mine), and peach siracha jam (!).  We also bought two homemade salted caramels, still soft and warm, but Tenny Cat:

…ate them from the kitchen counter about five minutes after we got home.  Gosh I love that cat.

Anyway, we put both items to good use in our dinner last night.  I made a shredded brussels sprout saute:

…that could not have been easier.  I sliced the brussels sprouts, and then sauteed them in a very hot pan with olive oil, a few splashes of sherry vinegar, a few splashes of tamari (dark soy sauce), and about 1/4 cup candied walnuts.  As the sprouts cooked, the sugar from the nuts kind of melted into the dish so that it was a really tasty mix of salty, sweet, and slightly bitter.  Perfect.

We enjoyed ours:

….with baked tofu, glazed with that peach siracha jam, plus more tamari.  SO.  GOOD.

Other things we did this weekend?

We watched a good movie (The Queen of Versailles)…and dressed in holiday garb:

…and went on some good walks:

photo (97)

…and enjoyed a date night (with friends) that ended in CVS:

photo (98)

I worked on a craft project:

photo (99)

…and we all got some snuggles in:

photo (100)

It was a good weekend.  Smile

Hope your Monday is off to a good start—I’m trying to get some MAJOR grading in before Thanksgiving break, so I’ll be hunched over my laptop all day.  Fun stuff…but it will be worth it to have a grade-free break for a few days.  We leave for Louisiana tomorrow.

See ya!

1. November 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Ooohhh that tofu sounds so good. And the brussels sprouts too. Hope you guys have a safe drive tomorrow!

2. November 19, 2012 4:17 pm

What a fantastic weekend! I love me some brussels- I need to make them tonight. Your little peanut is so cute- ready for turkey day!

3. November 20, 2012 12:02 am

Oh my gosh that sounds amazing! Perfect meal! I love Lila’s pants! Is it weird I really want a pair for myself? Never mind, don’t answer that. I hope you have an incredible Thanksgiving Anna!

4. November 20, 2012 3:15 am

Looks amazing, very creative with the tofu – I need to try it!

5. Patti permalink
    November 20, 2012 3:17 am

What type of craft project are you making? Have a good trip

6. November 20, 2012 4:10 am

Hi Anna! I very randomly clicked a random link to your blog the other day (a recipe, I think?) and now I realize you’re in Huntsville? I’m also in north AL (Scottsboro!). I don’t come across too many local bloggers, so I’m always excited to find a new one. I’m loving your blog and your baby is just precious! Do you & your husband teach at UAH? Both my degrees are from there, and I teach at a community college. : )

Hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving!

• November 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Deanna! Yep, I’m in Huntsville! We moved here two summers ago! My husband and I both teach at UAH– so cool that you got your degrees there!