A Hike and a Bite

November 11, 2012

Greetings!  Happy Sunday!

Actually, we’ve had a rather UNhappy Sunday around here.  Lila has gotten into the habit of waking up around 4:45-5:00 in the morning, which makes for a pretty sleepy baby and two very sleepy parents.  I think we might need to do some morning sleep training—I don’t mind getting up early, but I think at this age (7 months) it’s reasonable for her to sleep until 6 am, which she is NOT doing, ha.  I’m re-reading segments of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Yesterday, despite a VERY early wake-up call, Lila was in a very good mood.  We did a little morning playing:

DSC_0096DSC_0101

…and then, after she took her morning nap, we leashed up the dogs and set out for a hike! This hike was pretty close—only about fifteen minutes from our house—and it was so pretty!  It was way up high on a mountain ridge, so by the time we got to the top, we got some great views of Huntsville.

Lila hung out in the Ergo as we hiked:

DSC_0125DSC_0132

Lila did great in the Ergo the whole time.  Remember when she hated it?  Yeah, me too.  But around month six, she started tolerating it, and now she likes it! Which is good, because there is a WORLD of difference in back support between the Ergo and the Bjorn, especially now that she’s getting bigger.

Time to play “Where’s Ella?” Can you find her in the picture above?!

A great hike!

Yesterday afternoon was pretty low-key.  We did some yard work…ran some errands…and I started cooking dinner around 6:00.  Most nights, I cook dinner while Ryan does some work and Lila hangs out in her Jumperoo with me in the kitchen:

I catch her watching me as I cook—and I love it.  Soon enough, she’ll be old enough to help out! I like it that she’s growing up with a lot of time in the kitchen. Smile

Last night, we had a variation on the easy grain bowls that we’re so fond of:

Barley bowls:

Topped with sautéed onions, peppers, and soy sausage:

Yum!

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

1. November 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Sorry about the lack of sleep, hopefully she’ll get into better sleep habits soon. But adorable pics and what a gorgeous hike!

2. November 11, 2012 4:31 pm

YES! I agree- I think its so important to have them in the kitchen seeing us cook away. The hike looks gorgeous. What time is she going to sleep? Are y’all putting her to bed or you kind of letting her tell you when she is ready? I know every baby is different and a lot of people need/like the routine, but I find when I just let Kay tell me when shes ready for bed, she sleeps SO much better

• November 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for commenting, Erica. She goes to sleep between 7:30 and 8:00– occasionally earlier, but never later. She’s always tired, goes right down without a fight 95% of the time. It’s funny, because I kind of feel bad complaining– she’s a GREAT night sleeper! It’s just the early mornings that are getting a little hard to handle. I guess she’s sleeping at least 8-9 hours consistently, which is technically sleeping through the night, I know. It’s just hard when she wakes up at 5:00 and is still OBVIOUSLY tired, but won’t go back to sleep. And then she wants a nap at 7:30, ha!

3. November 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Wow, I had no idea Alabama was so beautiful! Also, that wainscoting in your home looks awesome. Did you guys do that yourselves?

• November 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Haha, NO. We aren’t very handy. 🙂 It was here when we moved in, but we love it!

I was surprised by Alabama too– we’ve only lived here for a few years, but we’re discovering more and more to love.

4. Patti permalink
    November 11, 2012 11:09 pm

What a pretty hike. I am glad Lila is getting into hiking at am early age.

5. November 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Gorgeous views! I love that you guys get out and hike.

6. November 12, 2012 12:25 am

What a gorgeous hike – just beautiful!