Pumpkin Cakies (and pictures of our little pumpkin)

October 25, 2012

Cakies = a mix between a cake and a cookie.

Pretty cute, right?

Not as cute as this:

image

image

image

Yes, she wore a Halloween tutu today.  No, it doesn’t get much cuter than that.

But these cakies are pretty cute too:

photo (63)

photo (60)

I decided I wanted to do some pumpkin baking this afternoon, since (in case you haven’t heard) it’s fall and all.  Plus, I still have about four cans left in the pantry from that one time when I freaked out about there not being enough pumpkin and ordered like, thirty cans on the internet.

Yeah, I did that.

Once was the time when I put pumpkin into EVERYTHING during the fall months—pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin sandwiches.

Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever made a pumpkin sandwich.  But I do love wraps that have almond butter and kabocha squash in them, so that’s probably close enough.

Anyway.

I haven’t cooked nearly as much pumpkin-fare this year—honestly, I think I kind of burned myself out on it for a while.

But.  These cakies have the potential to pull me back in to the pumpkin’s siren song.

They are light.  They are fluffy.  They are sweet.   They are slightly pumpkin-y.

They are delicious.

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Directions:

Heat oven to 350.

In a mixing bowl, combine butter, egg, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and beat until flour and dry ingredients are completely incorporated into the wet ingredients.

Drop by the teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 6-8 minutes, until done.

photo (61)

Optional Frosting:

1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp.)

6-8 tbsp. powdered sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1-2 tbsp. milk, if necessary

Directions:

In a standing mixer, begin to beat butter.  Add powdered sugar by the tbsp., beating in between add-ins.  Continue to add sugar (and taste) until frosting is at the desired flavor and consistency (for me, it was about 6 tbsp.).  Add vanilla and milk, and continue to beat at a high speed for 3-4 minutes, until frosting is very smooth and fluffy.

Top cookies with frosting once they have completely cooled.

photo (62)

No one will ever accuse me of being the world’s prettiest frosting-putter-onner.  That’s okay.  These still tasted delicious.

Even the cat thought these cookies were awesome—I divided the batch onto two plates, one to take to school and one to take to our neighbors. When Lila and I came home from our afternoon walk, *SOMEONE* had pulled the saran wrap off the plate and licked the icing off a bunch of the cookies.  Tenny also photobombed a few of the pictures we took of Lila this morning:

DSC_0101DSC_0107

This cat is evil.

1. October 26, 2012 12:37 am

How fun! The Pumpkin Cakies look delicious. But your pictures of your daughter is way cuter! I’m definitely going to have to try those cakies. I don’t cook enough with pumpkin, probably because I have never been a big fan of pumpkin. Although my taste buds have been changing recently! Thanks for the recipe.

2. October 26, 2012 12:47 am

CANNOT GET ENOUGH – i love pictures of Lila! and i have to say I am DYING over the one of her sitting up in her crib. hysterical!

3. October 26, 2012 12:53 am

YUM YUM! I’ve not done any pumpkin baking yet. Still hoarding the pumpkin LOL. And seriously, she’s the cutest thing ever! Love the pictures!!

4. October 26, 2012 10:47 am

Awww the cakies are really cute, but Lila is much cuter!! She smiles more than any baby/toddler?? I know! OR….I guess I don’t know her, but you know what I mean. She’s so happy, and loves life. I love it.

I burned myself on pumpkin cooking too, although I still enjoy pumpkin with my yogurt and granola. I think I’ve made two pumpkin things this season. NOTHING compared to last year!

5. ginger635 permalink
    October 26, 2012 11:32 am

She is the cutest thing ever and that tutu with the Halloween socks – so great! I will have to try those cakies. They look wonderful! (I had trouble spotting Tenny in the second picture; I finally found her. It was like one of those Where’s Waldo games!

6. October 26, 2012 12:26 pm

She is so freakin’ adorable! The cookies are cute too! YUM!

Um, is it weird I want an outfit like hers…tutu and all! That is so cute!

7. October 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh my GOSH, that tutu!!!

There’s a kobucha squash sandwich at a place called Peacefood here that is just to die for. It’s got greens and cashew “cheese” and I could eat it every day!

8. October 26, 2012 3:36 pm

I want a Halloween tutu 😀 I really hope I have a daughter someday that I can play dress up with!!!

• October 26, 2012 4:22 pm

I’m trying to dress her in all the things I want her to wear NOW, because I hear that past the age of two, it gets pretty impossible to choose anything for them. 🙂