The Bon Appétit Project: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

August 27, 2012

Have you noticed that desserts around the interwebs have gotten increasingly…complicated…in recent times?

It seems like every food blogger is out there hawking some new cake/cookie/brownie/bar that contains fruit loops and pretzels and potato chips and cookie dough and chocolate chips and caramel sauce and brownie batter and oreos and sprinkles.  ALL.  IN. ONE. DESSERT.

Whew.

Don’t get me wrong—these desserts usually look pretty awesome.  And you bet your sweet ass I’d probably eat seven in one sitting if I ever encountered them in real life.  But there’s a classiness, a demure refinement, in which these desserts seem a bit, well, lacking.

But the pound cake?  Ah, the simple pound cake.  The pound cake is the Grace Kelly of the dessert world.  And those “HEY!! HEY, LOOK AT ME!!! I’M A FUNFETTI CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH BROWNIE CAKE!!!” desserts?  Well, I kind of see them as Snooki.

Sure, there’s a time and place for both.  But Grace Kelly remains timeless, whereas I kinda think Snooki’s days are numbered.

I knew immediately that I wanted to include this pound cake (recipe via Bon Appétit) in the project Bon Appétit lineup.  Maybe it’s Pinterest fatigue, but all those crazy desserts had me longing for something a little more modest.

This cake is simple.  It’s classic.  And it’s damn tasty, with a nice hint of citrus.  The cream cheese kept it super moist, and without the glaze (I chose to leave it off), it held the perfect amount of sweetness.

This is a cake fit for a princess.  If Kate Middleton ever stops by my house to talk about how she gets her hair so perfectly curled, I’ll serve this.

That being said, if Prince Harry stops by to drop trou, I’ll probably go with the Fruit Loop cookie dough oreo sour cream and onion bars.  They seem right up his alley.

1. August 27, 2012 1:18 am

When I was a kid, whenever my mom had dinner guests, she always bought a pound cake. I haven’t had it in a long time though. Maybe I should.

2. August 27, 2012 1:30 am

I have to agree with you, some of the desserts on pinterest are way out of my league. Way too many ingredients and I almost get a sugar high just reading the names.
    But, this cake, perfection.

P.S. If Kate ever steps by your house, I really want to know how her hair is so damn perfect all the time!

3. August 27, 2012 1:36 am

Pound cake really is the perfect dessert. Rich, dense, sweet and oh so delicious! This looks perfect!

4. August 27, 2012 3:05 am

Girl you read my mind. I am guilty as charged with the fruit loops, pretzels, sprinkles and this and that and I just blogged about this in my last post…a classic banana bread recipe. And I have another classic recipe I am posting tomorrow and have pre-written a post about classics. That I am Pinterest’ed out with cookie dough this and that and who knows, I may be back at it very soon, but for now, I love that you made a classic and I am going to try to do more classics. Ironically I just started a series of posts I’m going to do about banana bread and if I would have a more reliable oven while traveling, I was going to make a pound cake! I was researching recipes – and yours looks stunning! Sorry for the long comment but everything you just wrote spoke to me, so much! And the recipe you chose – awesome!

5. Patti permalink
    August 27, 2012 3:33 am

I love pound cake! It reminds me of trips to Alabama to visit my grandmother.

6. August 27, 2012 3:47 am

i soooooooo agree…simple is always best. i’ll take the grace kelly of desserts any day!

7. Marie-Sophie permalink
    August 27, 2012 9:49 am

I actually like the simple cake and dessert recipes the most! And I’ve actually had the most success (at parties, birthdays, everywhere you get hugged very tightly for bringing baked goods :-)) with the simple ones! If you have a really good recipe for a classic, it is like winning the lottery. As soon as I come back from my holidays, I’ll make this cake!

Love your new “challenge”, by the way, Anna!

8. August 27, 2012 11:04 am

You are so right! Who needs all that stuff wrapped up in one delicious bite when you can have such simple, yet classy refinement served to you?! This pound cake is RIGHT up my alley (although I might need just a bit of lemon curd on top, HA!)

9. August 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Haha – too funny and sooooo true. Sometimes you gotta KISS for the best dishes right?

10. August 28, 2012 1:48 am

Ha! Agreed! Desserts are getting crazy. At times I’m no exception. HOWEVER, I am on a quest to find the PERFECT lemon pound cake recipe. I tried a cream cheese pound cake from Epicurious as the base of my most recent attempt, but no dice. A tad too dry.

• August 28, 2012 6:49 pm

I saw that! I don’t know if this recipe is *the one*– it was pretty delicious, but was a little dry as well, even with the cream cheese. Gah, the downfall of the poundcake!

11. August 31, 2012 11:10 am

You crack me up, seriously! This looks amazing. 🙂

12. September 8, 2012 6:52 pm

oh this does look perfect for royalty 🙂