Boy Is My Face Red

July 26, 2012

image

Good morning.

It’s hot out.

For reals.

I took that picture after sinking my face into a bowl of ice cubes, Joan Crawford-style.  Anyone else remember that scene in Mommy Dearest?

Anyway.

I keep forgetting that we’ve moved back to the South, where a “morning run” needs to happen around 5am in order to not be stroke-inducing.  I thought I was playing it smart by heading out for my run around 8:00 this morning.  Big mistake.  Big.  HUGE!

(You work on commission, right?)

I’d like to run a half-marathon later on this fall—probably the Shreveport half that I ran this year and this year.  I didn’t run it last year for obvious reasons:

So I’d like to build up a nice little base before any actual training takes place—you know, get to where I can actually run 3-4 miles without feeling like I’m going to die.  But those runs are going to have to take place a LOT earlier than 8:00 AM, obviously.

I did make this yummy recovery smoothie after I removed my face from the bowl of ice:

Recovery Smoothie:

1.5 cups plain coconut water

1/2 banana

1/3 cup blueberries

1/3 cup strawberries

1/3 cup Greek yogurt

1.5 tbsp. peanut butter

BLEND!

Mmmmm…almost makes the hot weather worth it.

Almost.

Happy almost-Friday!

1. July 26, 2012 2:59 pm

It SURE does get hot quick! The babe and I usually head out around 6 or 630 for runs…seems to be a decent time. The recovery shape sounds delicious!

• July 26, 2012 3:35 pm

When did you start running with Kay? We’re getting a BOB stroller– hopefully today!!!– but I’m not sure if she’s old enough to go running with me yet. Her head is pretty steady, so I think it would be okay if I leaned the stroller seat back so that it was reclining.

2. July 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I was running one of my long runs and it was probably getting closer to 6:45 and I saw some lady with a coffee shake looking drink sitting on her car and it was all I could do to refrain myself from snatching it away! I really need to get ingredients together for a cold cold smoothie after my runs now. Oatmeal isn’t exactly cooling….

3. July 26, 2012 3:15 pm

I can only imagine that heat — it’s been pretty steamy in Boston, even! I need to make more smoothies, especially ones with PB in them!

4. July 26, 2012 3:34 pm

i can’t really run anymore – knee issues – but every day when i work out my face is RIDICULOUSLY red. i need to remember the ice cube bowl thing (not that it would work) for next time 🙂

5. July 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Seriously, Tony and I tried to tun at 11:50 the other day. That went up and out our subdivision, across the street around the cul de sac and back home. It was so freaking HOT! I need to get better with running. I enjoy the short ones, but can’t really get into the longer runs.

Thank you for your comment today. I seriously do love hearing your stories about Lila and how she is evolving into your family. I wrote you an email the other day, but I’m not sure if you got it. Lila reminds me so much of Max. There is a seriousness there, but there is also the goofiest, most loving creature too. He’s the harder one to raise, but I’m keeping him close. He’s a momma’s boy and really, I’m ok with that. Maybe that will keep him under control…a girl can dream! Anyway, thanks for sharing your life. I know it helps others and I get to live through you if even for just a moment! xoxo

6. July 27, 2012 1:08 am

Dude, you aren’t kidding. I opened the door today around 7 am to determine if we were going to run or not- instantly decided that we were not. It was like a hot steamy shower outside already! I don’t know if I will ever get used to this southern heat, haha. I need to suck it up so I can start training for a half!

You will love the BOB! I started running with Audrey in it around 6 or 7 months.

7. July 27, 2012 2:42 am

I hate running in extreme heat! YUCK!

Love the Pretty Woman quote…I love that movie!

8. July 27, 2012 10:52 am

Coconut and peanut butter, together with Greek yogurt? I’ll admit, it sounds slightly odd, but that’s what I LOVE about smoothies..the weirdest combos actually work!
    Yeah, it’s hot outside, and I haven’t ran outside all summer (Aside from maybe a couple times in June). Good for you for setting some serious goals for your fitness this year!!

9. July 27, 2012 12:39 pm

It is definitely too hot to be running at 8:00a,m. I am a 6:00am girl. Even then…..it’s not ideal.

10. July 27, 2012 5:01 pm

My runs have been a lot less frequent since it got so hot. I hate running in the heat! That smoothie looks tasty!

11. July 28, 2012 3:16 pm

I have to get up early for runs here too before the triple-digit dry heat kicks in. Last time we visited Florida in December, the humidity threw me for a loop on morning runs!

12. July 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I’m having huge trouble with running in the heat. On cool days I can run up to 10km but on hot days my performance is cut in half…literally dying at 5 km! And running and smoothies go together so so well! I need a new recipe so thank you!

13. Jacquelin Gassner permalink
    July 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Coconut water is great because not only it provides you with a tasty juice, it is also rich in vitamins and minerals. “”;,.

Hope This Helps! http://www.healthmedicinelab.com“>