Summer Suppers

June 20, 2012

It’s been a while since I’ve actually just posted FOOD on the blog! Part of that is laziness on my part, and part of it is that we just haven’t been eating very exciting dinners lately.  We’ve been eating *GOOD* dinners, just not exciting dinners.  Our meals always seem to get simpler in the summer…add a baby on top of that, and we’re just lucky that we haven’t been eating pb&j every night.

I made this simple quiche a few nights ago:

DSC_0480 DSC_0482

I just kind of threw a bunch of stuff into a bowl for this—eggs, some half and half, cheese, tomatoes, and spinach—and it turned out really good! Guess you can’t go wrong with those ingredients.

On Sunday night, we had some people over for dinner and drinks, and our friends Eric and Christine brought a BUSHEL of basil for us from their garden.  So, pesto was definitely on the menu for this week:

I’m still sweating garlic from this one.  Totally worth it.

What’s your favorite summer meal?  Grilling is on the top of the list for me.  🙂

1. June 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Mmm look at that quiche! It’s something I never think of making even though I should because it’s so easy to make! Great flavour combo!

2. June 20, 2012 2:19 pm

A bushel of basil..I’ve dreamed about that before..

3. June 20, 2012 2:55 pm

I love using our grilling wok on the BBQ in the summer – I’m actually thinking stirfried veggies on the ‘cue might be on the menu tonight!

PS – both those meals look delicious!

4. June 20, 2012 2:56 pm

more garlic = more better 🙂 yay for proper English!

5. June 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I ashamed to admit that I’ve never really liked pesto. What’s wrong with me!? Meanwhile, I could probably live on that quiche… except that it requires the oven. I’m all for grilling in the summer, because it means I don’t have to cook in our 90 + degree kitchen!

6. June 20, 2012 3:37 pm

That quiche looks so darn perfect! And so does the pasta. Pesto rocks and has so many uses. Favorite summer meals? Anything on the grill or massive salads!

7. June 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I love garlic and it’s always worth smelling a little like it for the next few days! The quiche is beautiful and the pasta sounds perfect! I’m a salad girl loaded with summer veggies! I so look forward to summer eats!

8. June 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh yum yum – I have a lot of basil. I really need to make some pesto.

9. Patti permalink
    June 20, 2012 7:52 pm

These both look yummy!!!

10. June 21, 2012 1:53 am

That quiche looks delicious.

11. June 21, 2012 1:53 am

A bushel of basil?! wow!! That quiche is exquisite!

12. June 21, 2012 10:45 am

I LOVE quiche!! Yours looks so pretty, with the crust and all (sometimes I make mine crustless, which is..interesting).
    I can’t eat garlic so pesto is typically out for me, but I recently found a garlic-free pesto recipe that I can’t wait to try! I just hope it tastes good 🙂

13. June 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Those look delicious! All the fresh vegetables from the Farmer’s Market are what I think of when summer rolls around.

14. June 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Raw foods call to me when it is hot. I eat 99% of my vegetables raw in the summer because I don’t want them heated. Which usually means lots and lots of salads with cold ingredients on top like fruit, cottage cheese or hummus.

15. June 22, 2012 2:07 am

The pesto looks amazing! Watermelon and lots of cool salads are summer faves for me.

16. June 23, 2012 12:31 am

Anything that can be grilled, sandwiches and smoothies are what we generally have on hot summer nights.