Summer Salad

May 17, 2012

Hello, hello…Thursday already? I know I’ve said this a hundred times, but our days REALLY blend together nowadays.  It will be August before we know it.

Last night, we had a quintessential summer meal:

A big spinach salad, topped with grilled shrimp, grilled corn, avocado, and goat cheese.  Didn’t even need dressing!

Fresh, sweet corn is always a big signifier of summer for me.  The first time I *really* had corn was in grad school in Indiana—I’d obviously eaten corn before that, but I had no idea that it could taste SO good.  My parents drove up to help me move into my new digs, and we all visited the local farmers’ market together.  We bought some corn, and were blown away by just how good it was.  In fact, my parents bought a bunch to take back home to give to their friends…and they ended up just eating all of it themselves!   We still laugh about that.

What summer food are you looking forward to?

1. May 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Corn cut off the cob on salads or in burger bowls is fabulous! Glad you had such a nice meal. I can’t wait for peaches- I just saw local ones pop up for the first time this season

2. May 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, the days just blennnnnnnd together in those early days. Can’t even believe you’re blogging. Way to go mama!

3. May 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Oh man, that corn looks awesome on that salad. Minus the shrimp (maybe replace with tofu) and I want to dig in now!

4. May 17, 2012 7:39 pm

YUM! That salad is calling my name! I love anything on the grill, especially shrimp!

5. May 18, 2012 12:16 am

ah i’m really looking forward to fresh corn! and cherries…

6. Patti permalink
    May 18, 2012 1:56 am

I am looking forward to all the summer fruit – especially peaches. The salad looks great.

7. May 18, 2012 3:37 am

I’m looking forward to strawberries that actually taste GOOD!

8. May 18, 2012 11:13 am

Your salad looks scrumptious! I love corn on the cob as well. It’s always been a favorite summer treat . . .however, summer-ripe watermelon also has a special placein my heart 🙂

9. May 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Very yum! I always get some great healthy food ideas from you! I’m going to go into your archive and check out more soon…I’m eager to see and taste what the French eat for the summer. I’m moving in with the in-laws next week so it’s going to be a lot of French food from then on forward!

10. May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

This is the perfect salad. Seriously love everything here!