The Golden Tuna

May 9, 2012

Yesterday, I headed to Earth Fare to pick up some stuff for dinner.  Do you know Earth Fare?  It’s basically a mini-Whole Foods.  I think maybe it’s a Southern chain?  We had one in Charleston that I used to love, back in the old college days.

Anywho.

I got some kale and pineapple to make this salad:

Tropical massaged kale salad with pineapple and cucumber.  Delicious—I just massaged the kale with sesame oil, tamari, lime juice, and a little chili sauce, and then added the pineapple and cucumber and let it sit for about an hour.  Very refreshing!

I also stopped by the fish counter and picked up a few tuna steaks…

…which must have been made of gold, because before I knew it, I’d spent half of Lila’s college fund on freakin’ tuna.  The price sign was upside down when I ordered the tuna and I couldn’t really read it, so I was in for quite a shock when I saw the price sticker on my little bundle of fish.  I resisted the urge to ask the man behind the counter if the tuna was crusted in diamonds.  Still, I was too embarrassed to give it back.  So last night, we enjoyed a very expensive tuna dinner.

It was all very “Jessica Simpson buying underwear on the first season of Newlyweds”:

Skip forward to 6:30 to see the scene I’m referring to.  Or watch the entire clip and get a little misty-eyed about the way things were for those two crazy kids back when tuna was still chicken, and Maxwell Drew was just a faint 10 lb. twinkle in Jessica’s eye.

God I miss Newlyweds.

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! Off to a Pure Barre class…

1. May 9, 2012 12:28 pm

Classic! I had totally forgotten about that scene in Newlyweds… and what a moron Jessica Simpson is. I do miss Jessica and Nick though… In any case, enjoy that chicken-of-the-sea/tuna!

2. May 9, 2012 12:48 pm

that kale looks fantastic. I’ve yet to try a massaged kale salad though.

3. May 9, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes! Newlyweds! That looks really good….for some reason I cannot do pineapple in anything because I get dizzy but I am interested n kale. I’ve never had it before. What does it mean to “massage the kale”?

• May 9, 2012 2:30 pm

You just rub it with oil and/or spices– it helps it to break down and bruise a little so that it isn’t quite as coarse and tough.

4. May 9, 2012 1:42 pm

I totally miss that show too! I need to make Josh tuna- he loves it. I wish I liked fish. Hey- I saw you write on Lee’s blog that you have instagram! Whats your name? Mine its itzyskitchen (duh ;))

5. May 9, 2012 2:19 pm

My friends recently caught a huge tuna on a fishing trip so we had an epic tuna feast! It was so fresh and delicious… straight tuna spoiled 🙂 Yum.

Oh Jessica… she’s ridiculous. Idk… it was an entertaining show, but I think I like Nick with Vanessa. Did you watch their wedding special? She seems more his type.

• May 9, 2012 2:31 pm

Oh, they’re definitely a better pair…although I was shocked that Nick agreed to do ANY sort of reality special having to do with marriage again!!

6. May 9, 2012 2:54 pm

Tuna at Whole Foods is also pretty expensive, but I love it so much so I treat myself every now and then. Yours look perfectly cooked!

7. May 9, 2012 4:06 pm

that tuna looks like something from a fancy restaurant!

have fun at barre!

8. May 9, 2012 5:39 pm

Aw … Newlyweds! I was so sad when they broke up 😦

That massaged kale salad looks and sounds great!

9. May 9, 2012 6:34 pm

Dinner looks delicious, but dang yeah, tuna is expensive! I miss that show too! So entertaining!

10. May 10, 2012 1:06 pm

The salad sounds heavenly, gorgeous colors! So true on Newlyweds, such a fun show to watch!