The Waiting Game

March 7, 2012

Hi friends!  Took a little blogging break for a few days to do…well, not much of anything, really.  Ryan has been super-busy with work lately—like, leave the house at 7 and come home at 9 busy.  I get so used to having him around most of the time that when he has these stretches of needing to be gone a lot, it feels super-lonely around the house.  I’ve basically been eating frozen dinners, hanging out with the dogs, and doing my work (except for teaching) from home…wah, wah.  Luckily, the craziness should end this weekend, and then we only have one more week of school until spring break!!!

Last year, we went to Key West.  This year, we’ll be watching natural childbirth videos and finalizing our birth plan.  What a difference a year makes, right?

We’re officially nearing the end—we’ll have a doctor’s appointment every week from here on out, and they’ll check me for progress each time.  As of my appointment yesterday, I was still 100% closed—fine by me! I’d like her to stay in and cook for as long as possible…get those lungs developed, little lady! The doctor *did* say, “You know, I have to tell you—I don’t think this is going to be a small baby.”

Just what you want to hear when you’re sitting in those dang stirrups.

After I pressed her a little bit, she told me that she just didn’t want me to think that I was going to have a six pound baby—probably closer to 8, by her guess.  Whew.  8 pounds is fine by me—I just want to steer clear of double-digits.

Anyway, all is well—baby is cooking, but I’m…well, not.  Again, Amy’s frozen dinners have been my bffs as of late.  Here’s a picture of the smoothie I had this morning…the closest thing to “cooking” that I’ve done over the past few days:

I’m hoping to get back into the kitchen soon!  We need to start stocking our freezer for life with baby.  Any good recommendations for recipes that freeze well?

Happy Wednesday!

1. March 7, 2012 3:38 pm

You guys have to be getting so excited! While it’s not exactly soup weather, I say soups, veggie burgers. I bet enchiladas and lasagna would freeze well too. Or make sauces that you can just use over pasta.

• March 7, 2012 7:07 pm

Veggie burgers are a good idea!! I know, I keep thinking about “cold weather” things– soup, casseroles, etc…and then I think, “But it’s going to be April!!”

2. March 7, 2012 3:41 pm

girl, i’m there right now and the waiting game is the hardest part! that and a million people asking how you’re feeling all.the.time. if it makes you feel any better we were told the same thing…that this was probably going to be a 7.5-8 lb baby. fine with me as long as he’s healthy!

hang in there 🙂

3. March 7, 2012 3:45 pm

SO exciting that you’re getting close. I used to hate those “checking” appointments though….someone feeling that area never feels normal haha. Hang in there!

4. March 7, 2012 4:12 pm

I cannot believe how close you are! CONGRATS on your almost-birth!

Make anything and everything you possibly have the energy to do now; you will thank yourself later. Freezes “well” is not as much of a concern as freeze “anything” you can 🙂

• March 7, 2012 7:09 pm

Haha, that’s what we’ve heard– it won’t matter what it is; the only thing that will matter is that all we have to do is turn on the oven and reheat it! 🙂

5. March 7, 2012 4:16 pm

I think the waiting near the end would be the hardest! You guys must be so excited 🙂
    For meals I would suggest Shepherds pIe (so tasty and reheats great!) Chili, hashbrown casserole, or check out the Impossible chicken bisquick pie on google. My friend brought a made and frozen one on our girls trip and it was sooo good and reheated awesome!

6. March 7, 2012 7:02 pm

Ahhh yes … time to stock the freezer. We did soups, muffins, cookies (meaning balls of dough to bake at our leisure), and at least two casseroles of lasagna. You will certainly appreciate the work upfront when baby is here and it’s dinner time and you haven’t eaten anything hot all day!

• March 7, 2012 7:10 pm

Cookie dough balls are a good idea…although I fear we’d go through them in about a week, haha. Maybe even before she gets here 🙂

7. ginger permalink
    March 7, 2012 11:47 pm

Getting so close!! It’s smart of you to think about freezing things – I plan on freezing some food and bringing it when I come, as well. Some things that I think freeze well are meatloaf, chicken pot pie, taco soup (or really any kind of soup), and lasagna. I will cook while I’m there, too, and y’all can save the frozen food for after I leave. We’re counting down!!

8. March 8, 2012 2:50 am

I intended on making a bunch of freezer meals and then Audrey came three weeks early…I was wishing I had started earlier! It will make your life so much easier 🙂

Isn’t it crazy to be at the weekly checkup stage? I couldn’t believe how quickly it came about!

9. March 8, 2012 5:57 am

Wow, time flies! Can’t believe she’s almost here and so excited for you!

10. March 8, 2012 12:19 pm

Jessica Simpson was on Extra last night, pretty much bragging about how unhealthy her diet has been since she’s been pregnant, and now she’s having at least a 10 pound baby. She should be SO proud!
    I was 8 pounds 3 ounces, believe it or not. I think that’s a good size!
    I’m so excited for you BOTH!!
    And, I don’t blame you for not cooking. You just relax 🙂

11. March 8, 2012 3:33 pm

This is so exciting! Very happy for you =) I have been married for six months now and every person I see is asks me if I’m pregnant yet. The “plan” is to wait a few years to make sure we are financially stable and we have some time to ourselves to travel and what not. But I have to admit, every time someone asks me, a part of me wants to say yes!! Something to look forward to in the future!

Excited to hear all about the little one!!

• March 8, 2012 3:51 pm

We waited a few years (probably would have waited a few more, in fact, haha…Lila was a bit of a surprise :-)), and we’re SO glad we did– the trips that we took together as just a young married couple will be some of my absolute favorite memories of our marriage!! We’re excited to enter this new stage too…but I definitely think waiting a few years has its advantages!!