Southern Scones

February 26, 2012

As a born-and-raised Southerner, one of my pet peeves is when people make fun of the South, or buy into Southern stereotypes.  No, we don’t all talk “lack the-us.”  We don’t marry our cousins.  We don’t eat fried chicken at every meal, and we don’t end each meal with a big ol’ slice of pie (pronounced piiiiiiiiie).  We are NOT all Paula Deen.

The way I see it, making fun of the South is kind of like making fun of my family—if you’re a member of my family, go for it.  Let’s all talk about the time Grandaddy forgot Nanny in the gas station bathroom on the way home from the duck blind and drove a good half hour before realizing his mistake (true story).  But, if you’re not a member of my family?  I best not catch you talking smack about them.

In that same way, if you’re from the South, I’ll gladly make fun of it with you.  But if you hail from Portland, or San Diego, or Ithaca—with all due respect, keep your mouth shut.  Or fill it with some pie.  Just don’t you dare pronounce it piiiiiiiiiie.

That being said…since moving back to the South, I can’t help but notice that some of the stereotypes DO prove themselves true, time and time again, in a way that’s almost comforting.

We met our neighbor Mr. Phil a few days ago.  He was sitting in his driveway, beer in hand at 5:00 sharp on Friday.  The ice chest beside him was evidence that he’d been out there for a while, as there were about 6 empty bottles of Bud already drained.  He was sporting overalls like nobody’s business, and rocking about 3 teeth in his mouth.  His lack of teeth didn’t prevent him from talking to us for a good 45 minutes about…well, nothing really.  His opener?  “What are ya, Methodist or Baptist?”  We didn’t have the heart to tell him we’ve been attending the Unitarian church.  He asked us how much we paid for our house.  Told us if we needed any work done, he was a damn good carpenter, plumber, and general repairman.  He introduced us to his 95 year-old mama, “Miss Vera,” who’d recently been fired from her job in the nursery at the Baptist church for “bein’ too old.”  Damn Baptists.

So yeah, I guess some of the stereotypes hold true.

On Saturday night, we got another taste of stereotypical Southern hospitality at its finest when our other neighbors, Cal and Liz, dropped off a jar of homemade lemon curd, just because.  I’ll gladly put up with Mr. Phil if living in this neighborhood means that we get delicious jars of lemon curd dropped at our doorstep for no reason other than neighborly kindness.

And a jar of free lemon curd is a tasty reason to make…scones!

Orange Scones

16 oz. flour (about 2 cups)

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup sugar

6 tbsp. butter, cold and cut into cubes

zest of one orange

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 egg

splash of orange juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in butter with a fork (or you can use your hands, which is what I did).

Combine heavy cream, orange zest, egg and orange juice, and whisk together.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and work into a dough.  Dough will be pretty dry—it might take a bit of kneading to bring it all together.  Divide the dough into two or three batches.

Working on wax paper, roll dough out.  Use a biscuit cutter (or wine glass) to cut into biscuit-sized rounds.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.

Pictures:

Pre-baking:

image

image

image

These scones are perfectly buttery and sweet, and were just perfect with the lemon curd.

I’ll leave you with one more stereotype of the South.  If you need a laugh, check out this morning show that Ryan was interviewed on last week:

Now that’s a good Southern accent.  You gotta love it.

Happy Sunday!

1. February 26, 2012 9:45 pm

I have neighbors who have a confederate flag on a flagpole and constantly are sitting on their truck bed drinking beer. They always tell me that Murphy is a good looking dog though.

I think I am allowed to make fun of the south. I grew up in Maryland but have lived in the south for 10 years.

• February 26, 2012 9:55 pm

I think ten years buys you that privilege 🙂

You know, it’s funny– I swear, I saw more confederate flags when we were living in rural PA than anywhere else I’ve lived, including Louisiana, Alabama, and South Carolina. So strange (and scary).

2. February 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Haha :). These look darn perfect and that curd -owwwww! I want one for breakfast

3. February 26, 2012 10:50 pm

LOL – can’t believe he forgot her on the return home. I can understand on the trip to b/c duck hunting is serious business 😉 Those scone look incredible – love the photography. I’m so with you on the Southern thing. We do wear shoes, but during the summer, barefoot is just flipping crucial b/c it’s so hot. When i lived in Auburn, AL, I worked at a Waldenbooks in Montgomery, I didn’t understand a lady telling me her last name was Brown b/c she drew it out to like 4 syllables!

4. February 27, 2012 12:21 am

Heh, great post oh the south, I moved to Florida in my teens after growing up in the bay area of California and let’s just say it was a HUGE adjustment. 😛 The scones look wonderful! One of these days I will try making my own. 🙂

5. Kev permalink
    February 27, 2012 2:55 am

That clip is truly awful. I can’t believe Ryan endured that for TEN MINUTES. Jesus.

6. February 27, 2012 7:32 am

Girl these look so good and your food styling is soooo pretty. Just saw them on FG, too. Congrats 🙂

7. February 27, 2012 11:44 am

I love it! Those accents are great, in my opinion. I love them.

I’m still laughing about the story of your grandpa…..seriously?! A full half hour before he realized?!

I’ve never made scones, but this recipe might be calling my name! I think the wine glass is brilliant. If you can’t drink wine, why not use the glasses to cut your scone dough?!

8. February 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Ha – more stories about Southern neighbors please!! And I mean that in the most friendly of ways 🙂 Those scones look delish!

9. February 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Now why hasn’t it occurred to me to use a glass to make even scones? I’m obviously not too bright.

These look delicious! I’d love to make these one day soon.

10. February 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Oh heck yes. Those look AWESOME.

11. February 27, 2012 10:59 pm

So many comments to make on this post. First of all, you left out the best part about Granddaddy forgetting Nanny…when he realized it, he turned to Beau (his dog) and said “Beau, WHERE IS ANNE???” Beau didn’t answer! Also, I loved the clip of Ryan’s interview – my favorite part is the little dog running around on the set (bless Ryan’s heart for doing it!) Third, those scones look awesome!! Very proud to be related to you!

12. February 28, 2012 2:10 am

Yes please! I am such a bad southern girl that doesn’t love fried chicken, but I do love piiiiiie and scones!

13. February 28, 2012 1:54 pm

What bugs me the most is the way southerners are portrayed in movies. Don’t get me started. And it’s funny because living in Austin I live in one of the most liberal (un-southern) cities in the South.

14. jteare permalink
    February 29, 2012 9:21 pm

From my observations Huntsville is a southern city, with very few native southerners in it. Everyone I meet (including myself) seems to be from Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and D.C. Or just not from Huntsville. As a Northern Girl, who moved to Alabama I love Heart of Dixie. Though they do over play some of the stereotypes, other things they hit dead on.

• February 29, 2012 10:42 pm

That’s interesting! I’ve met quite a few southerners in our time here, but there certainly seem to be a lot of non-southern transplants here too, which is nice.