The Iron Lady

January 11, 2012

No, not this one:

…although I do want to see this movie.  Meryl can do no wrong.

Yesterday at my doctor’s appointment, my blood revealed not only a high level of sugar (and thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for your words of encouragement—I’ll definitely keep you informed on how the test goes tomorrow!!), but low iron levels too.

Sigh.

Low iron is something a lot of pregnant women deal with, so I wasn’t really surprised, especially with my partly vegetarian diet.  I’ve added meat back into my meals throughout the pregnancy, but I’ve hardly been downing steaks every night.  Anyway, my doctor gave me a prescription for an iron supplement, and I’ve decided to do what I can through incorporating more iron-rich foods in my daily diet—red meat, chicken, eggs, dark leafy greens, beans, and…artichokes?

Who knew?

I didn’t!  But when I left to teach my class yesterday afternoon, Ryan said that he’d have dinner waiting for me when I got back, and sure enough…

…it was an iron-fest of eats! Steak, along with a really tasty salad that he called the “Iron Lady Salad”—clever, Ryan.  This salad had beans and artichokes, which are very rich in iron, along with olives, bell peppers, parsley, and olive oil.  Yum!

A tasty dish from a very sweet husband.  🙂

Lots of things going on on the pregnancy front today—we met with our doula this morning, and we’ll be attending our first set of parenting classes tonight.  Then, tomorrow, it’s up and at ‘em bright and early for the three hour glucose test.   Wish me luck!

Adios!

1. January 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I went anemic like RIGHT away! Not so bad, just started taking the prescription iron and then was alllll good 🙂 Steak is a good way to get it in for sure! Hang in there pretty lady!

2. January 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Goooooood luck! Hope it goes well. Dinner looks tasty, what a good hubby 🙂

3. January 11, 2012 9:09 pm

That’s a pretty fantastic looking salad that your husband whipped up! Good luck tomorrow ~ I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

4. January 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Awesome hubby my dear!!!! Loving that salad.

5. Kim permalink
    January 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Good luck at the doctors! What a sweet hubby you have!

6. January 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Damn Ryan, that is an awesome looking meal!

7. January 11, 2012 11:26 pm

That salad looks so delicious – Ryan is such a sweet guy!! We’ll call you tomorrow to find out the results of your test – GOOD LUCK!!

8. January 11, 2012 11:58 pm

I want to see that movie too…and can I borrow Ryan when sometime? 😉

9. mgutowsk permalink
    January 11, 2012 11:58 pm

I tremble at the thought of Brian trying to cook a meal like that. 🙂 You lucky girl. This might sound weird, but I am really interested to hear what your delivery plans are!

10. January 12, 2012 1:41 am

Now that looks like an amazing feast of healthy eats! Good luck tomorrow!

Oh, and no, she can do no wrong! Meryl is the best!

11. January 12, 2012 6:10 am

Sorry about the iron results, but you’re getting plenty in your eats! And still sending good vibes for tomorrow!

12. Emo permalink
    January 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Good luck! Keep your chin up — not that I know what it is like to be pregnant, but I’m sure you doing a great job for Lila! (And Ryan, too, the Iron Chef.)

13. January 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Ugh…the dreaded glucose test. I failed the first one with each child, but thankfully passed the 3 hour one each time.

And, holy steak, that looks awesome!

14. January 16, 2012 2:22 am

Hooray for sweet husbands who cook yummy meals for their pregnant wives! (And an especially big hooray for passing your glucose test!)

15. March 19, 2012 10:30 am

Next time I read a blog, Hopefully it does not fail me just as much as this one. After all, Yes, it was my choice to read through, but I really believed you would probably have something useful to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you can fix if you were not too busy searching for attention.

16. March 19, 2012 10:33 am

Oops. Sorry for the above comment. No that’s not supposed to be there. Please delete that… I thought I was commenting on another site…
    Here is my real comment:
    An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been conducting a little research on this. And he in fact bought me lunch because I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this topic here on your web page.