Hand-Me-Downs and Memory Lane

January 5, 2012

Well, another great vacation is winding down for us.  Our classes start on Monday, so we’re driving back to Alabama today and will probably be hard at work all weekend, setting up our class websites, putting the final touches on syllabi, and working on assignment details.

Sigh.

The fun had to end sometime, right?

We’ve been gathering up all sorts of baby stuff in our past few days in Louisiana.  While Lila has already gotten quite a bit of brand-new clothing items and other baby goods, she’ll also be rocking the hand-me-downs like no other.

I wasn’t that surprised when we found out Lila was a girl.  I come from a *very* girl-heavy family.  Growing up, I was the youngest in the family for a long time, so I often wore hand-me-downs myself as a kid.  It didn’t bother me—some of the hand-me-downs were my favorite things to wear!  I can remember a patchwork cat sweater that cycled its way down to me from my sister, and I’m pretty sure it belonged to my cousin before that.

Think about that for a second: a patchwork cat sweater.

Damn.

Anyway, now that Lila is on the way, I’m even more appreciative of our female-centric family.  We have 9 girls from age 13 and under in the family right now, and Lila will make number ten.  That means hand-me-downs galore!

Most are coming from Katherine and Sophie (and those have cycled through cousins before her), so when we picked up the giant tupperware boxes filled with onesies, dresses, shoes—even bathing suits and tutus!—I knew we’d hit the jackpot!

Sophie is one stylish tot, so Lila is getting some pretty cute stuff. I mean, Baby Uggs?!?  Could you just die?

It was fun to go through the boxes.  So many pieces were familiar—it was like taking a little walk down memory lane…

Remember the sip ‘n’ see we had for Sophie last year?  I found the dress that she wore for the first real shindig thrown in her honor:

Well, she wore it until she got a little more comfortable at the end of the night:

All great parties end with beards and nudity, right?

And I got a little teary-eyed when I spotted this onesie:

(pardon my hair and lack of makeup…)

…which she wore when she was only a week old:

blog 011

So tiny! I can’t believe Lila will be that small!  But even more than that, I can’t believe that in less than two years, she’ll grow into a laughing, talking, running little girl:

…like Sophie is now.

Well, we better hit the road…see ya in Alabama!

1. January 5, 2012 2:28 pm

Those Uggs are amazing. Lila will be more stylish than me since I don’t even own a pair! That’s kind of fun to be able to sort through all the hand me downs and think about the memories that come with them 🙂

2. January 5, 2012 2:39 pm

wow that is a lot of girls haha
    and love all the adorable pictures and baby clothes too cute!
    safe travels

3. January 5, 2012 2:42 pm

You’re so lucky to know so many little girls! And your niece is just gorgeous!

4. January 5, 2012 3:12 pm

Baby Uggs!! Too cute! My little nephews have an adorable wardrobe, full with suit jackets and button down shirts so if we ever have a boy, we’re in the money!

5. January 5, 2012 3:26 pm

Love! Girls clothes are so darn cute. I have been passing all of Kay’s to a friend whose about to have a girl

6. January 5, 2012 3:31 pm

Hand-me-downs rock! I definitely wore a ton of them from my cousins. And when they are growing like a weed, makes no sense to spend a ton of money on their clothes! OMG baby Uggs, I really could just die!

Good luck getting back into the swing of things!

7. January 5, 2012 7:06 pm

My sister and I were the only 2 girls on both sides of the family. Crazy. Sounds like you have hit the jackpot with all those clothes!!

8. January 5, 2012 7:27 pm

This is pretty much like hitting the lottery! You don’t need to buy a thing. Congrats!!! Save all the money that you would have spent on clothes that she’d wear once…and put it in her toy, books, puzzles, educational, breast pump, etc fund…whatever it is, you just saved a boatload of cashola$

9. January 5, 2012 7:58 pm

Baby Uggs?! Too cute!!!

10. January 5, 2012 8:44 pm

So glad you got lots of good hand me downs…and Sophie is just adorable!!

11. January 5, 2012 10:01 pm

Oh, I got chills! I’m so excited for you two! I love hand me downs. They have so many memories and they just seem so special especially when they are really little!

12. January 6, 2012 1:58 am

Those Uggs are the cutest things I’ve ever seen! You scored big, it looks like!

13. January 6, 2012 3:52 am

Sophie has gotten so big- they grow so fast! Pretty cool that there are so many girls in your family. I love the baby Uggs- Audrey needs a pair of those 🙂 Safe travels!

14. January 6, 2012 3:22 pm

OMG, baby UGGS? How cute is that! I know what you mean – when my daughter was born my sister and I looked at her and thought “I wonder what she’ll be like when she’s three and talking and everything.” And now in March she’ll be 20 years old already – seems to have gone by in a blink!

Have a safe trip!

15. January 6, 2012 7:22 pm

I totally remember when Sophie was born- she is such a doll now 🙂

All the clothes you got are adorable! We don’t have too many babies in the family, but if this baby is a boy, I’m hoping I get some of my nephew’s clothes.

Trackbacks