Lucky Peas

January 2, 2012

Do you know how hard it is to take an attractive picture of black-eyed peas?

Pretty hard.  I think black-eyed peas are just out of focus by nature.  And let’s be honest—it’s not the most attractive dish around.

Doesn’t matter if they’re ugly though—they still bring good luck! We had our black-eyed peas for dinner last night with ham sandwiches.  I don’t think ham sandwiches bring good luck, but they were very tasty with the peas.

I can’t share the recipe with you…it’s family top secret.  The recipe my mom uses actually comes from my grandfather’s college roommate, Quincy.  My grandfather graduated from SMU in 1945, so these peas have been around for a long, long time:

…and while I won’t give away the recipe, I’ll tell you that they involve bacon…ham…peas…onions…bell peppers…and brown sugar.  Does that help?

Hope these bring us lots of luck in 2012…I think we’re going to need it!!!

1. January 2, 2012 6:26 pm

I’m so sad that the recipe is top secret…..looks amazing!!!!

2. January 2, 2012 6:41 pm

Maybe I’m weird, but I think this picture looks great and makes me want a huge bowl of it! Although, this is coming from someone who is currently eating meatballs and an apple at the same time right now for lunch…

3. January 2, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh YUM! Those sound perfectly delicious and I’m with you…I’m hoping for tons of luck this year too! Happy New Year Anna! I know this year is bringing you some pretty exciting things already!

4. January 2, 2012 7:19 pm

I think it’s sweet that you’re keeping the recipe under wraps. Enjoy your top secret peas 🙂

5. actorsdiet permalink
    January 2, 2012 7:41 pm

ha – i bet black eyed peas are hard to photograph! but you did a great job!

6. January 2, 2012 8:36 pm

I think you made them look pretty! =) Happy New Year anna!!!!

7. January 2, 2012 8:38 pm

Looks delicious!!!!!

8. January 2, 2012 9:29 pm

I usually eat black eyed peas once a year and remember how much I like them only to promptly forget about them until another New Year’s Day.

9. January 2, 2012 10:15 pm

I actually think it looks yummy!! A beautiful dish to start what will be an incredible year for you!!

10. January 2, 2012 10:58 pm

LOL I was thinking the same thing about them last night. For such “lucky” beans, they are not lucky for photographing are they? I love the dish you are using though. Happy New Year. I’m thinking it’s going to be an interesting year for you!!!

11. January 2, 2012 11:42 pm

Not pretty, but they sure are good! Happy New Year!!!

12. patti permalink
    January 3, 2012 1:53 am

I made your blog recipe (from last year) for Black Eyed peas for a get together yesterday – Yum. We did add bacon to the vegetarian version. Thanks for the new southern tradition for New Year.

13. January 3, 2012 2:37 am

Yay black eyed peas. I bet your family secret recipe was incredible! Here’s to a lucky 2012!

14. January 3, 2012 3:01 am

What a gorgeous serving dish. I think you did a fantastic job photographing the black-eyed peas ~ they look delish!

15. January 3, 2012 5:54 am

The peas look good to me, too bad the recipe is secret! One year we’ll actually have black eyed peas on New Years. 😛 Happy New Year to you!