Holiday Baking + a Nursery Update

December 20, 2011

Hello, hello!

Hope you’re having a good week! We’ve been really enjoying our time in Shreveport, hanging out with friends and family.  We had dinner last night with some friends, including our friends Ellen and Dillon who had the baby right before Thanksgiving–  hard to believe that Mae Martin is already a month old!  And even harder to believe that we’re getting closer and closer to welcoming our own little nugget…time really flies!

We brought two desserts to Ellen and Dillon’s house:

Eggnog cheesecake bars, courtesy of Martha Stewart.  These bars were really delicious, especially if you like eggnog—the eggnog flavor is pretty intense!

We also brought these dark chocolate peppermint cookies:

DSC_0482 (2) DSC_0484 (3)

…based on this recipe, also by Martha.  We subbed peppermint extract for the espresso.  Ryan really liked these cookies…I was a little on the fence about them.  The chocolate flavor is really intense, to the point where they almost tasted a little burnt to me…but he liked them a lot, so I guess it worked.

We’ve also been taking care of some baby stuff while we’re here.  My shower will be in Shreveport, so we registered at a baby shop here.   Amazing all of the things you don’t know you need until you have a baby on the way… 🙂

We’ve also gotten a few things in for the nursery.  After much deliberation, we decided that we’re going to keep the walls gray and use a lot of yellow and pastel accents throughout the room.  I ordered this adorable  bird mobile from Etsy:

Don’t you just love the vintage feel of the fabrics?

Plus, this bird:

….goes perfectly with these Anthropologie curtains that will hang in the nursery:

Cute, right?  I love the giant polka dots. 🙂

I think the curtains and mobile will go really well with the furniture we picked out…things are starting to come together! I can’t wait to see how it all looks in the actual room.

Family dinner tonight…hope you have a great night!

1. December 20, 2011 11:20 pm

those bars look great and i know what you mean about choc being so intense it can almost taste burned sometimes.

the yellow, the vintage vibe…so adorable!

2. December 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Oh curious about that cheesecake. Sounds yummy. Love those curtains and the vintage vibe you have going. Can’t wait to see it all completed!

3. December 21, 2011 12:32 am

Love gray and yellows together! 🙂

4. December 21, 2011 1:34 am

I love the yellow baby stuff.

5. December 21, 2011 1:44 am

love all the yellow! a favorite color of mine!!!
    and yum to those bars and cookies!!!

6. December 21, 2011 2:21 am

I love the birds and the curtains! Really digging the anthropologie type feel in there. The typical cutesy baby stuff isn’t my style at all, this is so much cooler 🙂

7. December 21, 2011 3:33 am

The bars sound awesome!! I love eggnog in baked goods!! The mobile is super cute-cant wait to see the finished product!

8. December 21, 2011 5:04 am

love! kudos for getting started on the nursery early…we’re in freak-out mode over here. still 2 months left but we have a LOT of stuff to move around first! yikes!

9. December 21, 2011 5:15 am

What a greeeeat color scheme! So far it looks like it’s coming together quite nicely. 🙂 I’m expecting a baby in early June and I’ve finally decided on a theme as well. It’s nice to have that done so that we can get to work on the fun stuff.
    Can’t wait to see more updates!
    -Lisa

10. December 21, 2011 12:29 pm

So cute!! The room is coming together. I can’t wait to see it in the end!
    Eggnog bars sound interesting…I do love eggnog, but the idea of eating eggnog intrigues me.

11. December 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I love the moblie! It is very cool.

12. December 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Love the birdies and the polka dots… super cute and definitely not just another pink baby room!

13. December 21, 2011 4:24 pm

I love all the bright colors going into your nursery!! How exciting!

14. December 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Oh, those birds are aDORable!!

15. December 21, 2011 9:52 pm

The cookies sound fabulous, yum! And love the nursery colors, very clean.

16. December 22, 2011 1:38 am

Oh, how sweet! The birds and the curtains and the polka dots… enough already! 🙂 You will have the cutest nursery ever.

17. December 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I have to say again that the nursery is SO YOU!! I think it’s going to be adorable (and if I ever finish my needlepoint duck, it will fit right in!)

18. December 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Time really does fly! She will be here before you know it. I LOVE the bird mobile-I have a slight obsession with birds and it shows in Audrey’s nursery. The curtains are so fun and gorgeous. Love!

19. December 23, 2011 3:24 am

Great choice on the gray and yellow! Also, you know that we share a love for birds, and I think Baby Girl will love her mobile — Sam is fascinated with his! If you’re looking for some more inspiration (and have several free hours to browse the photo gallery), check out http://projectnursery.com/.

20. December 23, 2011 12:21 pm

The color scheme is perfect! I want to do my room in gray and yellow…and those curtains…LOVE!!!!

21. December 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Hurry back to blogging 🙂 And baby updates!