Folly Follies

December 10, 2011

Hi friends!

When I last posted, we were finishing up our grading in rainy, cold Huntsville.  Fast-forward 24 hours, and we found ourselves here:

Beautiful Folly Beach, South Carolina!

When Ryan and I realized that we were going to get a month (yep, a month) off in December for the holidays, we decided to take advantage of our long break and take a little babymoon.  So this morning, we woke up early, packed the car with our suitcases and dogs, and headed to…Charleston!

I went to College of Charleston for undergrad, but haven’t been back since graduation—a fact that baffles me.  I don’t know how I let so many years pass without returning, because I LOVE Charleston—love it.  Driving into town today was very nostalgic for me—so many familiar sites, and some new changes.

Instead of staying downtown, we booked a (dog friendly!) house for the weekend in Folly Beach, about a ten minute drive away from downtown.  Folly is a cute little beach town, and I spent many an afternoon here instead of in after class.  Ahem.

Here are some pictures from our afternoon walking the beach.  Ella is SUCH a beach dog…it always makes me wish we lived by an ocean when I see how excited she gets to run in the waves.  Of course, Ryan, Baxter and I were having a pretty good time too 🙂

DSC_0366 DSC_0370

DSC_0378 DSC_0390

Perfect afternoon.  Tomorrow, we’re headed downtown to explore.  Our house doesn’t have wi-fi, but I’ll be posting sooner or later!

*Edited to Add*….

We DID walk around downtown “the next day” (now yesterday)! We started the morning early with some more beach time with the dogs:

…and then headed downtown.  I had a blast showing Ryan around the campus…he kept talking about how pretty the campus is, and it really is.  I think College of Charleston has one of the prettiest campuses in the country…not that I’m biased or anything 😉

Walking around campus was SUPER nostalgic for me.  Here’s the house that I lived in my sophomore year:

…you know…typical antebellum college digs, right?  Note the “For Sale” sign…ahem, Ryan.  Push present?

And my the dorm building I lived in Freshman year:

aka, “Scary Berry.”  Good times.

After an extensive tour of campus, we walked all around downtown, finally winding our way down to the Battery:

Today, we met up for lunch with my former creative writing professor/mentor and her family, as well as one of my friends from college (and grad school…and beyond).

Now we’re just relaxing….I think we might catch a movie tonight.

Not sure if I’ll blog again before we head home on Monday, so I might just see you from Alabama.  Hope you’re having a great weekend!

1. December 10, 2011 9:19 pm

My BIL and SIL both went to College of Charleston. It does look pretty.

2. December 10, 2011 10:03 pm

OMG! If you check your mail- let me know if you’re around for a coffee :). I’m just over the other side of the bridge !

3. December 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I love that campus. Definitely one of my favorites and I’ve been on hundreds because of my job. Enjoy the weekend and babymoon, it looks like you’re doing a good job of that though already! 🙂

4. December 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh how fun! Loving the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you guys have a blast.

5. December 10, 2011 11:55 pm

THE BUMP!!!

love it, you look so cute 🙂

6. December 11, 2011 12:02 am

breathtaking photos!!!!!!!

reminds me of when we lived in myrtle beach. oh the memories..i was probably living there right around the time you were at the Univ of Ch.

We coulda had some fun!

7. December 11, 2011 3:06 am

What gorgeous pictures!! Your belly bump is so cute! You are going to be all belly when you get bigger! 🙂

8. Emo permalink
    December 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Baby’s first trip to Charleston! (And, btw, I always thought of it as “Cherry Berry.”)
    What are y’all doing around the first week of August, 2012? How about a reunion/bar-cation with all the pups in Charleston? Good, we’re in.

9. December 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Looks perfect and relaxing. I told my husband I want to go to the South for a babymoon when the time comes!

10. December 12, 2011 2:22 am

Such beautiful pictures! Enjoy your time and I am loving your baby belly 🙂

11. December 12, 2011 2:29 am

Did you happen to be in Huntsville, AL? If so..that’s where my family lives and small world! 🙂

The dogs definitely look like they had a great time on the beach! Glad you’re having a fun adventure.

• December 14, 2011 6:57 pm

We ARE in Huntsville AL!! We moved here last summer, and are starting to get settled. Small world indeed 🙂

12. December 12, 2011 4:11 am

I love those pics. They are so beautiful! I’ve never been to the Carolinas but I really need to get down there.

“Not that I’m biased or anything” haha… I went to Penn State and I’m ridiculously biased 🙂

13. December 12, 2011 12:15 pm

You look soooo good! 🙂 I love the idea of a babymoon! Our quarter ended last week so I am working today and then heading to Chicago for the rest of the week tomorrow. I’ll come back for 2 days to work and then back again…can’t wait! I am now LOVING December and the holidays 🙂 Enjoy your time off – you deserve it! Us teachers work HARD!

14. December 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I really miss Charleston, too. Can’t believe we haven’t been back since you left. Glad you had fun.

15. Patti permalink
    December 12, 2011 6:38 pm

What a fun get away for you. It is strange to see the sun coming over the water in the morning – we always see it as it sets in the west in the evening. The dogs really look happy to be joining you.

16. December 13, 2011 1:57 am

Sounds like a perfect weekend! You look beautiful! Pregnancy looks good on you! I hope you are having an incredible break. Definitely enjoy this quiet time together!

17. December 13, 2011 6:22 am

Gorgeous photos in this post, wow! And you look amazing!