Lord, Beer Bread Me Strength

December 7, 2011

You know what one of the best parts of having a party is?

All of the leftover alcohol that people leave behind.

You know when that isn’t one of the best parts of having a party?

When you’re pregnant.

Ryan has been taking full advantage—he’s been walking around with a lampshade on his head and singing “Party in the USA” for the past three days.

I, on the other hand, have been doing this:

Open the refrigerator.

Look at all the beer.

Sigh.

Drink some water.

Sigh.

I know I’ll be thanking myself for staying away from alcoholic beverages when Baby Girl Weber comes out without a tail (knock on wood), and is able to maintain eye focus better than this guy:

Ames, you know I love you, but methinks your mama had a few too many gin and juices while you were in utero.  But hey, you went to Harvard and Yale, and rumor has it you’re dating super-cute Lea Michele look-alike Jackie again, so it’s all good, right?

*Sidenote*—HOW excited are you for the return of Ben Flajajaninahinik for the Bachelor in just a few short weeks?!?

So. Excited.

Anyway.

Just because I’m not drinking beer doesn’t mean I can’t eat it, right?  This super easy beer bread bakes for 45 minutes in the oven, which (uh, I’m pretty sure) cooks out the alcohol—but leaves behind the delicious, warm, oatmeal stout flavor.

Oatmeal Stout Beer Bread

3 cups flour

1 tbsp. sugar

1 tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

12 oz. oatmeal stout

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.

In a standing mixer bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Pour in beer slowly while mixing until a batter forms and ingredients are combined.

Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Annnnnd…that’s it!

This bread is really charming and rustic looking, and the oatmeal stout delivers a serious beer flavor.  You could use any beer you’d like, but I like the darker beer for both the color and flavor it gives the bread.

Apparently, Huntsville has a “fill your own beer jug” place with over 40 beers on tap.  Did you know that Heaven was located in Alabama?  I didn’t either.

The batter ain’t pretty:

But look what it turns into:

DSC_0323 (4) DSC_0326 (4)

Eating a slice of this bread hot out of the oven with lots of butter almost made me forget about how much I miss beer.

Almost.

Lord, beer bread me strength.

1. December 7, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh man, that must be torturous. But the bread looks delicious! And now I have Miley in my head…

2. December 7, 2011 7:52 pm

haha 🙂 You’re so funny. I haven’t had a drink in like two years…for real. Crazy. But beer bread? I’m in. That looks so good! And I love getting bread without having to use yeast!

3. December 7, 2011 7:53 pm

MMM love beer bread. But I think I’d like the actual beer more 😉 Just a few more months!

4. December 7, 2011 8:13 pm

The not drinking thing is one of the main reason that I’ve staving off having kids. Well, that and my Phd program. Thank you for having enough willpower for us all!

5. Emo permalink
    December 7, 2011 8:49 pm

Your bread slices look like mittens! And delicious. How’s your own home brew coming?

• December 7, 2011 10:20 pm

It’s good, Emo!! We had some over Thanksgiving– I tried a few sips, and was very impressed. We served it at our party on Saturday too, to rave reviews. Now Ryan is trying to decide what kind to make next!

6. December 7, 2011 9:37 pm

this bread looks amazing…and I dont even like beer! But i have always!! been drawn to beer bread recipes. yum!

7. December 7, 2011 10:56 pm

The beer bread looks almost as good as the beer!

8. December 8, 2011 12:12 am

I hate beer, but love beer bread! I used guinness in one of my last gluten loaded version and even though Tony can’t have them now, he told me that was rude to such an incredible beer. My man loves beer and just can’t have the good stuff anymore. This is why it’s been so long since I last baked a loaf…I think it’s time to pull out the gluten free beer…I wonder if cider would be good in it too?

9. December 8, 2011 3:12 am

Girl, I SO wish our pregnancies had overlapped! I would have eaten beer bread and drank mocktails with you every night.

10. December 8, 2011 4:14 am

Oh my. You do have yourself in a problematic situation. I saw someone carrying a brown root beer bottle at work today and that was enough to send me running home for a Fireman’s 4. Hang in there. Eyes on the prize.

11. December 8, 2011 12:01 pm

Really Ames and Jackie are back together? You are so right, he does look like his mom may have been drinking (or doing some weird or prescription drug) while pregnant with him. Yet, he’s so cute at the same time.
    I know that not having the ability to drink beer will be the most difficult part of being pregnant for me. I may have a few sips here and there, just to get rid of the craving 🙂 I LOVE a good oatmeal stout, and this bread sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

12. December 8, 2011 1:36 pm

Gorgeous photos!! Love the red background with the slices of bread.

13. December 8, 2011 6:19 pm

This looks really good. I never even liked beer before, but now that I can’t drink it, it smells so good!

• June 11, 2012 3:40 am

Priester in Deutschland:Can you really say that Schneider Weisse is beettr than Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier? I think not Now Andechs is something else entirely. I hope you are able to frequent (and I mean frequent) Kloster Andechs. I have never had a beettr beer in my life.And what about Altbier? Enjoying an Altbier in Dfcsseldorf is a beautiful thing.

14. patti permalink
    December 8, 2011 9:04 pm

There was a recipe in the food section of the paper yesterday for Chocolate beer truffles. It has dark chocolate, heavy cream and beer!

15. Sarah permalink
    December 8, 2011 9:54 pm

Oh my goodness, I have to make this for my dad! He actually brews his own beer, so there’ll be plenty to use 🙂 I’m not much of a drinker myself but this bread looks delicious!

16. December 9, 2011 9:04 am

I can’t wait for the next Bachelor too!! 🙂 Beer bread is amazing! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll keep checking your blog, I just found it!

17. December 10, 2011 2:55 pm

What a fantastic way to get your beer in while pregnant. 🙂 It looks delicious!

Hope you have a fabulous weekend Anna. Hang in there.

18. December 10, 2011 5:33 pm

You make me laugh everytime without fail! 🙂