Tis The Season For Balls

November 29, 2011

Did you eat too much last week?  Did you swear that you’re going to eat healthier this week?  Do you like balls?

If you answered “yes” to all of these questions (or even just two out of three), then this is the post for you.

I’ve worked with a variety of balls in the past: quinoa pizza balls….cake ballsapricot energy balls…Ryan’s balls (he has a collection of antique musket balls…what did you think I meant?).

Last night, I added another set of balls to the roster: Indian Lentil Balls.

These balls are super easy to make and very healthy, which is good when you’ve consumed enough calories in the past three days to power Michael Phelps through one of his workouts.

Indian Lentil Balls

1 cup dry lentils

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tbsp. olive oil (plus more for cooking)

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 tsp. cardamom

1/2 tsp. cumin seeds

1/2 tsp. garam masala

Directions:

Bring lentils to a boil with 3 cups of water.  Season with salt, then simmer for about 25 minutes, until water is absorbed and lentils are soft.

While lentils are cooking, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft.  Transfer to food processor bowl, then add spices (except for salt and pepper) and olive oil.

Once lentils are done cooking, add to food processor bowl and process until smooth.  Taste, then season with necessary salt and pepper.

Form dough into balls:

…and bake at 350 degrees until firm.  The balls with be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside:

We served ours in brown rice bowls with spinach, but these would also be great as a falafel substitute in a sandwich, or even just as a salad topper.

Hope you’re having a great Tuesday! I’ll be grading all day, and then…my students are giving a public poetry reading tonight!

See ya!

1. November 29, 2011 2:58 pm

I love this idea! How clever 🙂 I bet these would be soooo good in a same pita. Or wait wait! Wrapped in a warm piece of naan!

2. November 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Happy Ball Season.

This looks good and I think I have all the ingredients at home. It’s going onto my “recipes to try” pinterest board.

3. November 29, 2011 4:01 pm

I LOVE balls! These are perfect. I swear lentils make the the best burgers, so I bet these were so good!

4. November 29, 2011 4:03 pm

I love balls too!!! Falafels and truffle balls in particular (when we’re talking strictly about balls in the kitchen :-D)

5. November 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Mmm, now these are some balls I can get behind(as opposed to meatballs. What else would I be talking about?)

6. November 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Ha! I haven’t experimented with many balls.. but these looks awesome! And I love how they are slightly reminiscent of falafel. Bookmarking this!

7. November 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Well, they are certainly not the cake balls that we made last Christmas, but I’m sure they will be better for us. And, as luck would have it, I had just pulled out some lentils to cook tonight, so I will be making these. Good luck to your students!

8. November 29, 2011 8:44 pm

haha, this one had me laughing! I made balls yesterday but they were of the snack variety, not savory ones like this for a meal. Balls make eating so much more fun 😉

9. November 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh I’m loving the looks of those. I could almost smell the garam masala when I read the ingredients.

10. November 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Lovely balls, my dear 🙂

Sorry, had to write that.

11. November 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Happy Ball Season to you too! Your post cracked me up 🙂 I was thinking these balls would be great on a salad but you already covered that.

12. November 30, 2011 3:35 am

love it! got lentils a few weeks ago to make some lentil socca but now I need to go back so I can make those lentil balls, too cute!!

13. November 30, 2011 1:14 pm

HAHAHAHA!!! Love it!

14. greensandjeans permalink
    November 30, 2011 2:03 pm

The word “balls” will always be funny.

• November 30, 2011 2:08 pm

That is a lesson I hope to pass down to my daughter.