The Good, The Bad, The Thrilling

November 9, 2011

Hi friends!

Thanks for your sweet words about my Monday blahs—yesterday was MUCH better.  Why, you ask?

Well, one of the reasons why I was having a bad day on Monday was because I fell over the weekend.  On Sunday, while we were hiking, I tripped over a fallen tree trunk and totally busted. I could show you a pretty gnarly picture of the bruise on my hip right now, but I won’t.  I’ll wait until it gets even worse.

I called my doctor’s office, and they said that most likely everything with the baby was fine (I didn’t really fall on my belly, but any sort of heavy impact is no good when preggo), but told me that I should come in, just to be sure.  I haven’t felt the baby move yet at all, and since there was no way to compare before movement to movement after the fall, they wanted to check the heartbeat, just to be sure.

Pregnancy (so far) is great, but it can also be scary. I’m trying not to go over the top with my worries—I drank coffee in the first trimester (have since stopped—coffee-free for over a month now!!), eat cheese (pasteurized!), and wouldn’t say no to a small piece of sushi or a sip of beer.  Still, there are always 1,000 different worries running through your head at any given time, and the fall just contributed to that.  Logically, I knew everything was fine…but it was a mighty relief to hear Baby Weber’s heartbeat, loud and clear at 155 bpm yesterday.

As we were talking with my doctor afterwards, she looked at my chart and noted that my “big” ultrasound appointment was set for next week.  This is the ultrasound where they check all of baby’s anatomy to make sure that he or she isn’t growing a tail (ahem)…but of course, we think of it as the “WE GET TO FIND OUT THE GENDER!!!!!” ultrasound.

“Well,” she said, “do you want to see if we can sneak you in now?”

The way that Ryan and I reacted, you would have thought she’d said, “Well…I have this million dollars just sitting around—do you want it?”

We have been VERY clear about our desire to know the baby’s gender from the very beginning—I’m not much on surprises, and the thought of having to wait nine months to find out just isn’t my thing (props to couples who can wait that long though).

And so, five minutes later, I was stretched out in front of the ultrasound screen, big glop of gel on my belly.  About two seconds into it, the nurse said, “Well, it’s a…”

You didn’t think I was going to tell you right now, did you?

🙂

Sorry kiddos…you’re going to have to wait just a little while longer.  I promise, all will be revealed very soon.  In the meantime, just know that Ryan and I are thrilled.  And it didn’t look like there was a tail, so the baby must take after the Weber side of the family (another story for another blog post).

Happy Wednesday!!

Any guesses on whether Baby Weber will be sporting blue or pink?  Actually, we plan on dressing our baby in all orange for the first three years of his or her life in order to avoid gender stereotyping.

Kidding.

1. November 9, 2011 2:37 pm

Ok, that was torturous! Not fair 😉
    I’m calling a girl 🙂

2. November 9, 2011 3:08 pm

Glad the fall was nothing serious. And exciting on finding out the gender!!

3. November 9, 2011 3:17 pm

I’m going with girl.

4. November 9, 2011 3:35 pm

So so so glad it wasn’t anything wrong with the baby and heard a strong heartbeat! I am going to guess boy.

5. November 9, 2011 3:38 pm

I have a hunch you are growing a little boy inside of you 🙂

6. November 9, 2011 4:46 pm

Oh my gosh how exciting!!!! I cannot wait to find out if we’re having a little boy or girl. Unlucky for me, I still have to wait another 7-8 weeks!

I’m guessing boy….. 🙂

7. November 9, 2011 6:20 pm

Gah! Anticipation kills me..and no guesse here because I am terrible at guessing gender! I can’t wait to find out though!

8. November 9, 2011 6:26 pm

I’m going to say girl…and glad you’re okay after tripping!

9. November 9, 2011 6:38 pm

I think it’s a boy. Everyone is having boys lately, it seems!! 🙂 Anyways, and either way, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

10. November 9, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh no, that is so scary! Ugh, the pregnancy fears. I hate that. I bled the entire time I was pregnant with Max and it was awful. Jay was the easiest pregnancy ever although I was clumsy as hell and fell all the time! I’m glad you two are good! Now, for the teasing part…shame on you Anna! I want to know! I hate waiting too! I’m gonna say you’re having a girl…no boy, oh I don’t know. Tell me!

11. November 9, 2011 7:44 pm

oh my gosh! I totally understand your freak outs- I did the same thing! I dropped the coffee and felt so glad I did…but I’m back on the juice now ;). Based on the heart rate- I guess girl? But those old wives tales aren’t always true. K’s heartbeat was always lower

12. November 9, 2011 8:38 pm

Glad you’re okay after the fall. I tripped over my dog and went down a set of stairs when I was pregnant and was so freaked out, thankfully everything was fine.

My guess is on a girl!

13. Kev permalink
    November 9, 2011 8:41 pm

I like that joke at the end about all orange, because when you wrote “WE GET TO FIND OUT THE GENDER!” I thought, “No, you get to find out the sex. Gender is a social construction.”

Here’s looking to my eventual green-clad baby.

14. November 9, 2011 8:44 pm

What a tease! I’ll guess BOY.

15. November 9, 2011 11:10 pm

I wanna knowwww! I guess boy!

16. Emo permalink
    November 10, 2011 2:36 am

I’ve been wondering! Two of my friends are also pregnant, also due in March and they know the gender, so I was going to needle you about it!
    I’m guessing girl.

17. November 10, 2011 3:41 am

Oh, no. Please not the orange. please. I hope it’s a GIRL!

18. November 10, 2011 6:31 am

Yikes on the fall, glad everything will be okay! And lime green goes with any gender. 🙂

19. November 10, 2011 11:29 am

I can’t wait to find out!!! I’m so excited for you both!! I am the same way, I will NEED to know the gender before the baby is born.
    I am glad you had a better day yesterday. And kudos to you for cutting out coffee now for a month…how will I do that?!?! That’s scary to think about, I won’t lie.

20. November 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Girl. Definitely girl. I don’t know why but I feel 1,000% certain of this.

21. November 10, 2011 2:41 pm

I’ve been very remiss in not sending you and Ryan congratulations on your baby!! I have been “stalking” your blog posts. I remember all those worries. We lived in southern California when Adam and Stefan were born. I remember waiting to cross streets in L.A. (we lived in San Diego) and holding my breath (as long as I could) so the baby wouldn’t be getting those nasty fumes. Poor and silly me! They were none the worse for lack of air.

I’m going with pink!

Best,
    Bonnie

22. November 10, 2011 2:59 pm

I’m guessing girl! Glad you’re feeling better and everything’s okay with your baby 🙂