Fall in Alabama

November 6, 2011

One of the things I was disappointed about when we moved from Pennsylvania to Alabama was the idea that we’d be losing fall.  I thought I knew how fall in the South went—in Louisiana at least, the temperatures stay up into the nineties sometimes through November, and the leaves change colors once—from green to brown.

In Pennsylvania, we had a beautiful fall to look forward to:

Of course, there was always the chance that it would be snowing before you actually got a chance to really enjoy it.

Here in Alabama, we’ve been really pleasantly surprised by what a beautiful fall we’ve gotten.  There have been tons of sunny days with temperatures in the late 60’s (just about perfect by my standards), and the trees have all been changing color slowly but surely—we’re surrounded by yellows, reds, and oranges.  The tree in our own front yard is shedding its leaves and going right now from yellow…to red…

…to dead and on the ground! The yard had accumulated a good amount of leaves, so Ryan finally got to raking yesterday:

We spotted a strange-looking leaf in one of the piles:

Surprise!

Ella didn’t do quite as good a job disguising herself:

One of the perks of being pregnant is that you’re not expected to help with chores like this.  Not that I raked a lot of leaves before I was pregnant either, but I always felt kind of guilty about watching a marathon of The Hills while Ryan worked outside.  When you’re pregnant, the guilt is gone—I’m carrying your unborn child, damn it! Isn’t that enough?

Anyway…while he was raking, I was in the kitchen with this:

I’d choose baking over raking any day.

Last night, we were invited to dinner by some friends, and we offered to bring dessert.

Brownies are one of those desserts that seem to get fancier by the day.  On the internet, you see recipes pop up all the time for s’mores brownies, chocolate mint brownies, double-fudge white chocolate snickers brownies…you get the idea.  While I like all of the crazy variations that are showing up, sometimes you can’t go wrong with a simple, classic recipe:

…from Cook’s Illustrated.  They always get it right.

Perfection.

Hope you’ve had a great weekend!

1. November 6, 2011 7:48 pm

We are getting some gorgeous fall colors this year too. Some years it’s straight to brown and dead, but this year, fiery reds and bright golds. It was the highlight of my run yesterday.

• November 6, 2011 8:05 pm

Yes! We’ve been spending every spare minute outside lately!

2. November 6, 2011 7:57 pm

Having just got back inside after helping out with the raking (now that our 16 inches of snow is gone!) I’m kinda wishing I had the pregnancy excuse!
    I’m with you on the classic brownies. fudgy, maybe a little salt on top…that’s it 🙂

• November 6, 2011 8:05 pm

Haha…you know, I probably *could* have helped…I just chose not to 😉

3. November 6, 2011 8:06 pm

I totally agree with you about brownie recipes getting fancier and fancier and more and more exotic and filled, stuffed, etc. Glad to know you kept it old school with cooks illustrated. When I make brownies I spend soooo much time searching for that ‘perfect recipe’…like choc chip cookies, there are so many and so many field reports. I always!! trust your advice though 🙂

4. November 6, 2011 9:01 pm

haha- I always felt like I still should help….I should have milked it! The brownies look perfect. I always prefer the more classic desserts (vs the crazy versions)

5. November 6, 2011 9:17 pm

I’ve always found brownies to be the hardest thing to make from scratch. Everyone likes them differently…cakey, fudgey, gooey…I always made them from the box for Tony since that was his preferred method. These look perfect though! I’m glad you put yourself to some good use without having to rake!

6. November 6, 2011 9:48 pm

Fall in Georgia looks pretty similar. I wish I could use the pregnancy excuse to get out of raking my front yard. We have A LOT of trees. Ugh.

7. November 6, 2011 10:24 pm

Ella did a grand job… I barely saw her in the pile… haha 😉 Enjoy your get out of chores free card!!! =)

8. November 7, 2011 12:54 am

I could go for fall in Alabama. Here in Boston, it’s pretty but we’ve also gotten one freak snow dusting already. Not OK!! Those brownies look faaaaaabulous. Can’t wait to play the pregnancy card when it comes to manual labor one day!

9. November 7, 2011 2:59 am

What a fabulous thing to walk into after raking leaves! I love homemade brownies. Does anything taste better? I really don’t think so!
    I do, however, have a secret obsession with raking leaves. Yeah….I enjoy it..a LOT!

10. Emo permalink
    November 7, 2011 3:02 am

How do you get such great shots of the dogs? (Especially without the zombie eye.)

• November 7, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh, trust me, there are always TONS of outtakes with the dogs– it takes a LOT of clicking the camera to get a few good pictures with them 😉

11. November 7, 2011 2:43 pm

Beautiful pictures!! I figured y’all would get a great Fall, since you’re pretty far north. Fall is my favorite season – cool, pretty, holidays right around the corner – family coming to visit!! I especially liked that Baxter leaf – what a funny dog!

• November 7, 2011 2:49 pm

Only a Louisianian would think of Huntsville, Alabama as “pretty far north.” It’s like when I went to college in South Carolina and Memaw told me I was going to school with yankees 🙂

12. November 7, 2011 4:01 pm

I really really want a subscription to Cooks Illustrated! Ive heard such great things about it… it’s just the postage cost of getting it all the way over to the UK, which is putting me off!!! I love plain fudge brownies with lots of walnuts – yum!!

• November 7, 2011 4:03 pm

This recipe was actually from their cookbook– The Best New Recipes. You might think about getting one of their books– it’s all of their best recipes rolled into one convenient (but huge) book!

13. November 7, 2011 4:03 pm

Red leaves are my fave in the fall! Raking is not my fave, I’d much rather be watching that Hills marathon you described 🙂 I love brownies, but I am definitely lazy enough that the boxes are fine by me. I like mine fudgy! Last time I made brownies I added some mini m&ms to the batter and they were delish. I also icing mine sometimes to make them ridiculously tasty.

• November 7, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah, we usually go the boxed route too…but the effort to do it from scratch is worth it every once in a while 😉

14. Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog permalink
    November 7, 2011 5:19 pm

I love all of those photos of the leaves. It’s beautiful! I love how the leaves are changing too-very colorful. 🙂

15. November 7, 2011 6:06 pm

Aw, how fun. I’m so glad it still feels like fall here – no snow yet (knock on wood)!

16. November 7, 2011 10:32 pm

Love the fall leaves, we’re getting some gorgeous colors this year too. And ha on being pregnant, cute!

17. JenATX permalink
    November 16, 2011 3:41 am

I’ve been off the blogosphere for awhile, but this was a nice post to come back to… lovely pics, Anna!