Easy, Healthy Side: Kale with Edamame

November 3, 2011

It struck me a few days ago how quickly the holidays will be here.  We have a wedding to attend in New Orleans in a few weeks…then it will be Thanksgiving…then Christmas!! Crazy how fast the holiday season can sneak up on you.

I usually indulge during the holidays…a lot.  Why choose between egg nog and hot chocolate when you can have both?  Why make Christmas cookies once when you can make them every other day?  Why try to fit into pants that zip and button when elastic-waisted yoga pants are so comfy and look kind of like regular black pants if everyone around you has had enough drinks to send Santa to the hospital?

You get the idea.

And you know…it ain’t gonna be any different, now that I’m pregnant.  If anything, I could see it getting even worse—I’ll probably eat more to make up for the fact that I’ll be spending the entire holiday season sober.  Sad but true.

The point of this long rambling is that we’re trying to eat pretty healthy for the next few weeks…give ourselves a little bit of a buffer if you will.  Because from New Orleans on, it’s going to be on like Donkey Kong.

Last night, we had grilled salmon along with this easy, tasty side dish:

Sautéed kale with edamame.  For this dish, I just sauteed kale and frozen edamame in a bit of olive oil.  Before serving, I drizzled it with a bit of toasted sesame seed oil (so yummy) and tamari, then topped it with raw seasoned pumpkin seeds.

Easy, healthy, and won’t force you to break out the stretchy pants.  Perfect.

Have a great Thursday! Ryan is on tap for a dinner tonight!

1. November 3, 2011 2:15 pm

I can never find shelled frozen edamame. I have 3 bags of the whole pods in my freezer but I’m definitely not about to shell them all myself! This looks like an awesome combination though.

• November 3, 2011 2:20 pm

Man– that sucks! I only buy the shelled ones– i wouldn’t have the patience to shell them either!

2. November 3, 2011 2:24 pm

Yum! I love how healthy this is!
    When I was pregnant I totally ate more because I couldn’t drink 🙂

3. November 3, 2011 2:25 pm

I love kale and have been eating it constantly – the addition of edamame is fantastic! You shouldn’t feel bad about the holiday binge – you’re eating for two after all!

4. November 3, 2011 2:26 pm

I was just thinking I need more kale in my life…sounds so fresh!

5. November 3, 2011 2:54 pm

yum, i need to make this for my fiance he loves edamane

6. November 3, 2011 2:56 pm

hahaha. I seemed to bake a lot more when I was pregnant too ;). This looks like an awesome side!

7. Christine (The Raw Project) permalink
    November 3, 2011 5:44 pm

So true about the holidays flying towards us! This sounds wonderful!

8. November 3, 2011 7:52 pm

I eat edamame every day and almost every day…kale. This is perfect for me!

9. November 3, 2011 8:16 pm

My best Thanksgiving was when I was pregnant, maternity pants were made for Thanksgiving 🙂

10. Ginger permalink
    November 3, 2011 8:38 pm

Yum!! That looks great. We’re back from Harbour Island where we ate no kale or edamame! Glad to be back in USA!

11. November 3, 2011 8:49 pm

YUM – now I need to buy some more kale since I used mine last night!

12. Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog permalink
    November 3, 2011 9:28 pm

This look healthy and delicious! 🙂

13. November 3, 2011 11:38 pm

this salad is beautiful! and you deserve to break out those stretchy pants!

14. November 3, 2011 11:46 pm

This looks so bright and delicious! And I was just dreading the inevitable yoga pants that will be making the trip home with me for Thanksgiving. This is definitely a great “buffer” meal 🙂
    xx

15. November 4, 2011 12:04 am

ahhh i have everything to make this! its so on! =)

16. November 4, 2011 1:28 am

Food is definitely my thing since I’m normally the designated driver! With two kids and the husband…someone has to be the responsible person. This looks delicious!

17. November 4, 2011 2:10 am

I want this. Jason doesn’t like edamame. Jason is crazy!

18. November 4, 2011 10:44 am

Considering I’ve put on ten pounds this year, my goal is to remain the same weight throughout the holidays, so not too much indulging for me! I’m not upset with my weight gain, as Nick says, “I needed it”, but…I think I need to slow it down!
    This recipe sounds awesome. I’ve been making edamame hummus lately and I have never combined it with kale before. Yum,

Trackbacks