Chicken and Broccoli

October 11, 2011

One of the things my sister and I tease my mom about is how often she made chicken and broccoli for dinner when we were growing up.  I’m not sure why we remember it this way—I know she made lots of other dishes too (though acorn squash didn’t come until later years)—but it seemed like whenever we’d ask what was for dinner, the answer was inevitably “Chicken and broccoli.”

So Mom, last night’s dinner was for you:

Chicken:

…and broccoli:

…and some kabocha on the side, just to shake things up a bit.

What meal reminds you of childhood dinners at home?

1. October 11, 2011 2:10 pm

I could say the same thing about dinner at our house except it was usually breaded chicken cutlets and broccoli rabe. Almost the same 😉

2. October 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Casseroles. Mom was queen of casseroles.

3. October 11, 2011 2:43 pm

That’s funny, we had chicken and broccoli too but it was always in a casserole and one if my favorite things to eat!

4. October 11, 2011 3:23 pm

I ate a lot of Campbell’s Soup for dinner as a kid. My mom was a single parent and, from what I remember, didn’t cook much. She did make chicken sometimes though.

5. October 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Love chicken & broccoli! Especially in casserole form 🙂

6. October 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Too funny, we have chicken and broccoli a lot here. It’s quick, easy and kid friendly 🙂

7. October 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Sounds awesome to me 🙂 My Mom had a great rotation of dishes- my favorites were spaghetti, stuffed peppers, pancakes (!!)

8. October 11, 2011 7:01 pm

A staple that my Dad used to make was lean ground beef, noodles and lima beans. Everything was separate. Try not to be too jealous. 🙂

9. October 11, 2011 8:15 pm

that’s a dinner right out of my childhood, too.

better throw in a baked potato with butter, too 🙂

10. October 11, 2011 9:27 pm

My mom’s favorite thing to make was spaghetti with chicken and broccoli. I’m sure there’s an Italian name for it but I can’t think of it now. I guess chicken + broccoli must be a mom thing.

11. October 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Homemade chicken soup does it for me. I suffered a miserable experience eating chicken though, and the mere memory of it has kept me from eating plain baked or grilled chicken for almost 10 years!

12. October 12, 2011 1:01 am

You can never go wrong with chicken and broccoli! We used to have a dish of boiled chicken and noodles. That’s it. Most boring meal ever, but we loved it!

13. October 12, 2011 2:20 am

I have this feeling that my own children are going to say the exact same thing about ME! I love to make chicken and broccoli, IN FACT, I had a salad tonight for dinner with grilled chicken and stir-fried broccoli on top 🙂 Nick and I go through about three heads of broccoli a week, if not more! We will turn into broccoli one day. You just wait.

14. October 12, 2011 2:27 am

Cute post. I remember lots of stir fries, soups, mac n’ cheese, and family tempura nights sitting around a fryer.

15. October 12, 2011 2:37 am

Hamburger Helper … Hmmm, how did I end up weighing 300 pounds? 😉 I’ve toyed with the idea of a healthier version but eh …