Kabocha! (Gesundheit!)

October 10, 2011

Kabocha squash might just be my favorite squash…and not just because the name of it sounds like someone doing the *bullshit!* cough.  Although that would be reason enough.

I just love it…it’s sweeter than acorn, creamier than butternut…there’s just something about it.  It can be a little hard to track down—in PA, I had to go to an Asian specialty store to find it.  Here in Alabama, I found a nice supply right at our Earth Fare.  So I knew it was going to be a good day when I got started this morning on this:

You don’t have to peel kabochas…but I find that the rind can be pretty tough to get through, so if I have the time, I usually go ahead and peel it.  Then I cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and strings, slice it into crescents, and season with olive oil and salt.  Bake at 350 for thirty minutes on one side, then flip and give it another 15 or so, and…voila!  Perfectly cooked kabocha:

Mmmm…I really could eat an entire squash all by myself.  This squash will probably last all of two days in our house.  I already made good use of it at lunch, fixing one of my (weirdo) favorites: a kabocha and almond butter sandwich.

I know, I know—it sounds weird.  But the first time I tried this combo, I fell in love. It’s SO tasty—you need to give it a go! I use creamy Maranatha almond butter:

…plus squash (pre-mash):

…and the combination is simply delicious.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

I was grading all morning, and now I’m off to run some errands—I always forget that when you travel over a break, you have to play catch-up twice as hard when you get home!

See you tonight!

1. October 10, 2011 6:36 pm

It’s definitely my favorite, but it’s so hard to find in Providence. I found one at the Farmer’s Market last week that I’m not even sure was on sale but I got the farmer to sell it anyway 🙂 Didn’t even last a day.

2. October 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Will not knock it I promise b/c it sounds incredible. I agree with you that kabocha is probably the best squash there is. YUM.

3. October 10, 2011 6:44 pm

perfect squash! Good luck grading and getting everything done!

4. October 10, 2011 6:58 pm

I haven’t made kabocha in forever! Thanks for the reminder to hit up whole foods on the way home 🙂

5. October 10, 2011 7:16 pm

I’ve never had kabocha, but I do love butternut squash or sweet potato/nut butter sandwiches, so I believe you when you say your combo is good!

6. October 10, 2011 7:36 pm

nommmmmmmm! Never considered using it on a sandwich! We are having spaghetti squash for dinner- cant wait

7. October 10, 2011 7:43 pm

I tried kabocha last year hoping to love it like everyone seems to, but didn’t 😦 I saw it again just recently in the store and might have to give it one more try just to make sure…

• October 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Yes, try it again– once, I got one that was SUPER rind-y. If that had been my first experience with them, I’d have been scared off forever!

8. October 10, 2011 11:39 pm

I tried one once and had a hell of a time cutting it. I do think it sounds good on an almond butter sandwich. I put nut butter on sweet potatoes a lot. It’s a good combo.

• October 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Yeah, I’ll give you that– I think they’re the toughest squash to cut, for some reason.

9. October 11, 2011 12:57 am

This is going to shock you with all my pumpkin love, but I’ve never had one. I haven’t ever seen them in the stores here! I need to look for them though after that description! The sandwich sounds like heaven too!

10. October 11, 2011 2:43 am

I have to stalk whole foods (which is over 2 hours away!) for them this time of year! hehe! i cant wait to buy some this weekend!!!! they smell like a pumpkin and cucumber had a baby when you first cut into them. that makes me ridiculously happy for some reason =)

11. October 11, 2011 3:01 am

The day we got kabocha in at the store, I literally told everyone I saw: random co-workers who didn’t even know what it was…random customers who just wanted to find the Mexican vanilla extract…small children who just wanted a free sample of the chips…

I thought all day about them and took home two that afternoon.

And then I didn’t roast them.

Weird, right?

Perhaps I’m scared once I start…well, I’ll never stop. 🙂

12. October 11, 2011 3:10 am

I need to get some of that squash! 🙂 It’s one of my favorites!

13. October 11, 2011 9:07 am

Your right, gotta try it.

14. October 11, 2011 12:26 pm

You’re in good company – I’ll pretty much eat any kind of squash, any time. Unfortunately, my husband feels differently…

15. October 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Sounds good to me! But this is coming from the girl who likes peanut butter and swiss cheese sandwiches! ha!

16. October 11, 2011 1:04 pm

I haven’t tried this one yet, I haven’t looked for it so Iwonder if I can get it in NY. Next time I see it I’ll grab one!

17. October 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Love kabocha’s too, I have a garden full of them this year which is all right with me. 🙂 Your baked version looks wonderful!

18. October 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Everyone talks about this kabocha squash and yet I’ve never even seen one before!! What an interesting sammie combo — I will definitely have to try that out!

19. actorsdiet permalink
    October 14, 2011 12:38 am

love kabocha! i’ve never peeled the skin before. i eat half of it before i get sick of it…

20. Kim permalink
    October 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Kabocha is my favorite, too. I mostly leave the skin on because it usually gets soft enough when I bake it, but sometimes it is just too thick. I think the squash sandwich sounds like a great idea. I love putting “weird” things into sandwiches. And congratulations on your pregnancy! It’s been a while since I’ve been to your blog but happy to be late to the party.