Louisiana Friday Night

October 8, 2011

Hi friends! Sorry I disappeared for a few days—we’ve been having fun here! I’ve been spending lots of time with family.  Last night we had Katherine, Kevin, and two of my aunts over for my Aunt Lisa’s birthday.

My mom cooked up a delicious Louisiana dinner—red beans and rice!

Before we got to the main course, we enjoyed a few appetizers:

Savory, cheesy gougeres:

These were so light and buttery.  Delicious.  My Aunt Kathy also made a dip with bacon, almonds and gruyere cheese that she served with apples:

My dad served as my hand model.  🙂

Then we got to the star of the meal—the red beans and rice:

Mmmm…this had sausage and smoked ham in it.  Dishes like this make me glad I’m eating meat again.  🙂

Plus salad (you know…to keep it healthy):

and cornbread.

And then, the best part: dessert.  My Aunt Kathy made an amazing bread pudding, topped with whiskey sauce (I had mine sans sauce, but it looked delicious):

It was a great meal!

And now…here’s your Sophie fix. :-)  Katherine and Kevin are running a half marathon at Thanksgiving, and had a long run assigned for this morning, so instead of dropping Sophie off early at my parents’ house, she just spend the night with us last night…which meant that we were up bright and early this morning 😉

She wanted to eat play with playdough:

DSC_0060 (61) DSC_0062 (60)

…and read books:

…and now she’s dancing! I guess I need to get used to early mornings like this, huh?

Hope you have a great Saturday!

1. October 8, 2011 12:52 pm

So glad you’re having a great time back home! Guess that’s a given though right 😉

2. October 8, 2011 1:01 pm

You sound so happy!!! I love it! Dinner sounds perfect! I’m glad you’re enjoying the things you need or want right now. As for the play dough…UGH, yeah, I had to ban that pretty early on since Max not only loved to eat it, but he loved to get it EVERYWHERE! Ah motherhood…ya gotta love it! Have a great weekend Anna!

3. October 8, 2011 2:32 pm

I’ve never even heard of gougeres before, but I can 100% say I want one after seeing those! Play dough makes me nostalgic for childhood, I loved that stuff!

4. October 8, 2011 2:49 pm

Sophie is beautiful!!!! What a yummy meal! Heart red beans and rice! And i have no control with cornbread 🙂

5. October 8, 2011 3:40 pm

Glad to hear your are having fun with your family and Ms. Sophie.

6. October 9, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the Sophie fix!!! She is precious…just precious!

7. October 10, 2011 4:00 pm

That dip with the apples looks fantastic! Mmm!

8. October 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Could Sophie BE any cuter? My goodness!

And I don’t know what a gougeres is…but I now BADLY want to find out! That photo has me drooling!

9. October 10, 2011 6:41 pm