Soup and Sophie

October 6, 2011

Hi friends! Happy Thursday!

I traveled yesterday morning from Huntsville…to Atlanta…to Shreveport! I left and nine, and was in Shreveport by noon—nice! When we lived in Pennsylvania, even flying took us ALL day to get home—we’d leave at six in the morning and not get into Shreveport until 7 pm.  I’m loving how easy it is to get home now.

My mom and I ate lunch and then basically kicked around all afternoon—we went for a long walk, visited Katherine and Sophie, and prepped for dinner…and soon enough, it was time to eat!

My mom made her house specialty—roasted acorn squash soup.  She’s kind of known all over town for this soup—people ask her about it when she’s out and about! It’s kind of her “claim to fame,” if you will…

The soup starts with a creamy acorn squash base:

Then you top it with cheesy crostini:

and finish it off with a red pepper almond sauce:

Delicious! We had ours along with salad:

…and fresh walnut bread.  Yum!

Can you believe I didn’t take any pictures of Sophie last night?  I’m losing my touch!  She’s hard to capture now that she’s so active—she’s always running around, singing, dancing, shaking her finger at you and saying, “No, no, no!”…she’s like a little Beyonce.  🙂

We’re off to get our nails done this morning—mine need it! See you at lunch!

1. October 6, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh those crostini look scrumptious – even at 9am! Maybe your mom could do a guest post with the squash soup recipe?! 😉

2. October 6, 2011 1:20 pm

I need this recipe! Acorn squash is my favorite!

3. October 6, 2011 1:47 pm

Yum! Can I come over and eat dinner with you guys!? =) I’ve been eating squash like it’s my joooob! ❤

4. October 6, 2011 3:47 pm

i know our niece is walking now!! she is all over the place

have a great day!!

5. October 6, 2011 5:30 pm

So will you share the recipe? I love acorn squash but have never made it in a soup.

6. October 6, 2011 5:38 pm

I love anything with squash these days and your mom’s soup is looking fabulous! Have a great time at the nail salon 🙂

7. October 6, 2011 7:02 pm

have fun at your nail appt and glad you guys live closer and the trip is easier….just in time for you being preggers and the grandparents being closer now 🙂

8. October 6, 2011 11:43 pm

Sounds like you’re having a wonderful visit with your family! Enjoy it!

9. October 7, 2011 12:44 pm

Living closer to family has got to be easier! I am glad you got there safe!

10. Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog permalink
    October 7, 2011 4:15 pm

This meal look delicious!! Red pepper almond sauce sounds divine. 🙂

11. October 7, 2011 4:45 pm

Oh, wow. That soup looks so good, especially the cheese crostini! I understand how it’s a famous soup!! Have fun getting your nails done 🙂

12. October 8, 2011 11:40 am

OH I can see why that soup is your mom’s claim to fame! It looks delicious! What an amazing addition with the cheesy crostini. Thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy your weekend 🙂