Chili for the Chilly

October 5, 2011

Evening, friends.

Thanks for all of your comments about our baby scores—we’re pretty pleased with our purchases so far! Thanks also for everyone who gave me advice on where to score further deals—much appreciated!

This morning, I went for a very slow jog/walk (or a “wog” as Erica called it—cute).  I’m averaging about a 12-13 minute mile, and going for about three miles when I go out.  I’m glad to still be getting a little “running” in—but let me tell you, it fires up my appetite for the rest of the day!

Good thing this chili was waiting for me when I got home tonight:

I actually cooked up this pot of vegetarian chili right after lunch.  The light is better for pictures if I cook during the day, and I’m finding more and more that if dinner isn’t made by about 6:00 pm, the odds of me actually cooking are pretty slim.

I love vegetarian chili—this one had tomatoes, beans, soy crumbles, peppers, onions, and lots of onion and garlic.  Vegetarian chili is one of those dishes that can really pass for meat (in my opinion)—it’s so comforting and delicious:

Of course, when we ate it tonight, ours also had sharp cheddar, sour cream, and cornbread muffins on the side…which helps with the comfort factor as well.  :-)  This was the perfect meal for the chilly fall weather we’ve been having here!

Tomorrow, I’m off to Shreveport for a long (very long) weekend.  Our fall break is this week (Thursday and Friday), and Ryan is going to an academic conference in Virginia, so I decided to head home for a bit!

See you from Louisiana!

1. Caroline @ Out of Liney permalink
    October 5, 2011 3:32 am

Chili and cornbread is such a classic! Perfect time/weather to break it out right now. You’ve made me think to do it soon too!

2. October 5, 2011 4:32 am

Yum, this looks wonderful and something I’m totally craving with our cold and rainy weather today!

3. Kev permalink
    October 5, 2011 4:52 am

Does this mean we’re not skyping this week?

4. October 5, 2011 10:51 am

Have fun on your getaway!!

5. October 5, 2011 12:04 pm

My husband, who likes meat, will happily eat vegetarian chili. I need to make a pot, it’s been a while.

6. October 5, 2011 12:26 pm

Chili looks fantastic. Nice and hearty…and warm 😉 Have fun on your trip home.

7. October 5, 2011 4:06 pm

Have fun on your trip 🙂 Thanks for the shout out 😉 Glad you’re enjoying your wogging. I prefer making dinner early too and reheating it when the time comes. Believe me- this is a life saver with a baby too !! mmm chili- so good!

8. October 5, 2011 5:58 pm

Can’t go wrong with chili, I love it!!!

9. Patti permalink
    October 5, 2011 6:22 pm

When a chef demonstrated vegetarian chili in my classroom, he added raisins and cashews at the end and served over brown rice. The flavor and textures were excellent and non-vegetarian students loved it:)

10. October 5, 2011 11:17 pm

I love cooking earlier too. Otherwise, the kids get home starving then I get busy with something…dinner becomes omelets or grilled cheese sandwiches at that point. Have a safe and fun trip!

11. October 6, 2011 12:31 pm

Yum! Of course, it’s not butternut squash soup, but it looks delicious, nevertheless!