Baby Steals and Deals

October 4, 2011

Morning! I don’t have a recipe to share with you this morning…that will come this afternoon.  But, I thought I’d write a post about something that has been occupying quite a bit of time (and space) in our lives lately: baby crap.

No, not the kind that comes in a diaper.  We’ll be dealing with that soon enough. I’m talking about the pack ‘n’ plays, bouncy chairs, play mats, high chairs, car seats, strollers, boppies, bumbos, boohickies (okay, I made that one up), and 10,000 other things you never knew you needed before you took pictures like this:

Yep, I took four tests.  I wonder what the average is?

Anyway, I’ve always been a person who likes a good deal.  My family loves to tease me about my love for garage sales, flea markets, and discount stores.  One person’s trash always seems to have a good shot at becoming my treasure.

And while my family might make fun of me for this, when it comes to shopping for Baby Weber, I feel like I’m getting the last laugh. Over the past month or so, we’ve come into some really great baby deals.  Shopping at garage sales and consignment markets might not be as fun as buying everything brand new, but I’m here to tell you—new stuff is expensive. And totally unnecessary—after all, the baby is only going to be using some of this stuff for 6 months or a year.

The baby gear we’ve bought so far has come from two sources: neighborhood garage sales, and Kids Market, a giant consignment market that happens in Huntsville twice a year.  Here are some of the deals and steals that we’ve scored so far:

About a month ago, our neighborhood was having a neighborhood-wide annual garage sale.  We picked up this Graco high chair:

…plus a roller-chair:

(which, incidentally, Sophie loved):

…and a Graco pack ‘n’ play, complete with accessories:

Graco Pack 'n Play Portable Baby Playard - Nouvelle image

(this is what it looks like when unpacked).

What did we spend?  Eighty dollars.  The pack ‘n’ play alone is listed on Amazon at $165, which is just plain crazy to me.   Our neighbor said that his baby just never really liked being in the pack ‘n’ play, so it’s practically unused.  With all of the trips we take to Shreveport (and beyond), I can’t help thinking that the thirty bucks we paid for it is going to be well worth it.

Then, last week, I visited the Kids Market consignment market a few times, first with my friend Julia and then again with Ryan.  Here are some of the goods we scored at Kids Market:

A swinging chair:

Play-mat:

Adjustable bouncer seat:

Baby Bathtub:

Plus about ten (gender neutral) onesies:

And somehow these slipped into the cart as well:

It’s not all about the baby, you know.

How much did we spend at Kids Market?  About $120, which means that so far, we’ve spent roughly $200 on baby things—and look at all that we have!!  Are the items impeccable?  Nope—they definitely have a little wear and tear.  But who cares?  Something tells me our baby won’t.  And again, we’ll be spending enough money on this kid for the next, oh, 18 years or so—why spend unnecessary money in the first year when you can score great deals like these with second-hand stuff?

That being said, obviously we’re not going to buy everything second-hand.  Two non-negotiables for me are the stroller and the car seat.  I think you have to figure out what you’re comfortable buying new—and what you might be able to save on.  The deals are out there—you just have to be willing to look!

Are you a bargain shopper?  Current moms– any advice for me on other ways to score baby deals?

1. October 4, 2011 3:30 pm

Nice job on the bargain shopping!!

2. krista permalink
    October 4, 2011 3:40 pm

Nice job on the deals! Do you have Baby Bargains? (and if not, do you want our copy since we’re done with it?) That helped us figure out what we really wanted and what we didn’t.

We saved money by getting a convertible car seat right away, rather than doing an infant seat and then a convertible. If you get an infant one, don’t worry about the weight limit, baby will outgrow the height long before s/he is 30 pounds, or even 25.

Cloth diapering and breastfeeding have saved us more money than anything else. We’ve spent around $400 on the diapers that will last us until she’s using the toilet, and we spend about $4 a month on diaper detergent. (Let me know if you have questions, it’s far less yicky than it sounds at first!) I spent around $100 on new bras (which you’d probably need post-pregnancy regardless), and that plus the cost of the pump I got was still less than we’d have spent on formula in a year. Both the diapers and pump have significant resale value, so while we won’t break even, we’ll see some money back eventually, and that’s nice too.

• October 4, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks, Krista! My sister-in-law was also raving about Baby Bargains.

We haven’t really dug into the whole cloth diaper thing yet– but I have a friend here who’s a huge cloth diaper advocate, so I know she’s just waiting to share info with us 🙂

3. Marcee permalink
    October 4, 2011 3:43 pm

Wow …. Anna …… everything is wonderful …. so colorful. Plenty of wear for baby in all those items!! Adore the “onesies!!” So-too cute.

This past summer …. 5 little-ones arrived into various (our!) families. First-time parents for some. TONS of moola was spent. I am sure of that. There is sooo much baby-stuff to purchase for first-time-parents. Ohgosh. It seems endless.

Your bouncer and hoppin-swing-thing are absolutely adorable! I was looking for these types of playtoys this past summertime. Excellent purchases Anna!

This lady needs to get out more!!

For my niece, and her firstborn this year, it was a challege to find good quality everythings. I kinda-sorta went bonkers. Spent lots of bucks. It seemed harmless at first, then ….. everything became a reality once I received all the bills!!! Live and learn. Ha.

It’s okay for baby#1. Not sure about baby #2. I cannot worry about that for awhile. Let’s say at least 5 years down the road. Sounds about right!

In the meantime …. lovin all your great values Anna!

Best of ……

P.S. What a gorgeous child that is!!! Wow.

• October 4, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks, Marcee!! I was really pleased with our saving purchases…although it’s also REALLY fun to spoil new babies…I know that firsthand from my niece 🙂

4. Ali permalink
    October 4, 2011 3:48 pm

Sign up for Amazon Mom… they seem to have the best deal on diapers (even including the shipping to your front door)! Also, the first time you buy something/set up an account at diapers.com you can score a one time big discount! And it seems there are ALWAYS “20% off one regular priced item” coupons available for use at Babies R Us – you can print them online, from the weekly ad, find them in the ad in the newspaper, and they usually hand them out to you at the cash register with any baby purchase.

5. October 4, 2011 3:49 pm

Wow, those are some great deals! You would’ve spent a fortune on those items regular priced.

• October 4, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks, Estela. Yeah, it’s kind of sad how excited I got when I started looking up the retain prices of some of the stuff…what can I say, I love to save $$$! 🙂

6. October 4, 2011 3:54 pm

Awesome! You might try Craigslist, too. I got an exersaucer, in awesome condition, off Craigslist for $30. Also, there are lots of baby clothes for sale, very gently used for very cheap. Have fun!

• October 4, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks, Jocelyn– Craigslist is a great idea!

• October 4, 2011 9:12 pm

Oh, and I totally took 4 tests the first time, too. 😉

• October 4, 2011 9:13 pm

Something tells me that actually might be a low number, ha 🙂

7. October 4, 2011 4:56 pm

Great bargains! You’re so right that the baby will only need that stuff for a few months!! You might as well get away with second hand stuff while you can because once they hit the teens, they love their brand names 😀

8. October 4, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow! You did so awesome. Baby stuff is ridiculous expensive! I can’t even comprehend some of it! And let me tell you- some of the cheapest items (hello boppy newborn napper) are the most useful!

• October 4, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks, Erica– yep, I’m just now starting to see how expensive everything can be…scary!! And I definitely believe you about some of the cheaper items being the most useful…kind of like how little kids would rather play with the box a gift comes in rather than the gift itself, haha. 🙂

9. October 4, 2011 5:43 pm

Good call on the carseat decision — I’ve heard never to buy one used. I’ve also heard anything used should be checked to make sure it wasn’t recalled (or if it was, you know why), but that’s an awesome way to save money. Smart girl!

• October 4, 2011 7:18 pm

Yep, I’ve heard the same thing about the carseats– something about the way they warp after a certain number of years of use, etc.

10. October 4, 2011 6:16 pm

You’re family & friends are going to have nothing left to buy you for a shower! haha Awesome steals!

• October 4, 2011 6:24 pm

Haha, I know– that’s what one of my friends said to me this weekend 🙂

11. October 4, 2011 6:17 pm

omg, *your” not “you’re” I can’t believe I just did that. HUGE pet peeve.

12. October 4, 2011 6:21 pm

Anna, I want all your baby money-saving notes when the time comes.

13. October 4, 2011 6:33 pm

You are SO SMART to have bought this stuff second hand. I had this “must buy new” mentality and it was so dumb. Kids use most of this stuff for mere months and they are onto the next phase. I had that EXACT pack n play. It was Skylar’s crib for many trips down in Aruba and you will get tons of use from it. All the walkers, rollers, toys, etc…good to buy it on the cheap b/c like I said, it’s one phase to the next and who knows how much you will use it so buying it all retail is painful$$ and you were SMART!

• October 4, 2011 7:17 pm

It’s funny– usually I LOVE new things…but with this, I’m pretty much determined to get as much as I can second hand!

14. October 4, 2011 6:34 pm

Holy crap, I think you’re more of a bargain shopper than I am! You made out like a bandit! I know you’re going a little crazy over all the changes that are going to happen, but you two will be such great parents! Mostly because you’re as sarcastic as Tony and I are and really you need that to get through all the crap!

• October 4, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks, Sarena…I hope you’re right!! 🙂

15. Kristi permalink
    October 4, 2011 7:21 pm

I heard that Baxter wants a stroller he can hitch a ride on… at least for the trip back home, better to nap with baby Weber.

• October 4, 2011 7:24 pm

Haha…he was also VERY interested in the swing chair…I think baby Weber is going to be sharing a lot of his or her gear with the dogs 🙂

16. October 4, 2011 10:32 pm

Those swings are life-saving from what I hear. I think it’s great you’re out for the deals! The clothes are too cute…I don’t think I was ever that small 🙂 And Babysitters Club…ahh. I recall those very fondly 🙂

17. October 4, 2011 11:41 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ANNA CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you guys! and way to score those deals! I think I may follow suit someday soon… er…. eek did I say soon!? ❤

we obv need an email chat sesh! love you!!!!

18. October 4, 2011 11:50 pm

What great deals! A women on a mission!

I also LOVE that you have Baby Sitters Club books! I read every single one!

19. October 5, 2011 12:18 am

You guys made out like bandits! I’m such a bad bargain shopping (I lack patience) but am jealous of your ability to do it!

20. October 5, 2011 9:19 pm

how cool you were able to get all that at such a deal!!!

love when I find good bargains

21. October 7, 2011 3:55 pm

The Baby-Sitters Club!! I was so in love with those books growing up – I swear I read each one about 5 times. That and Sweet Valley High!

• October 7, 2011 4:35 pm

Ohhhh, yes…me too 🙂 I have a huge collection of SVH books that I’ve gotten on e-bay over the years 🙂

22. October 10, 2011 5:47 pm

You’re a serious bargain hunter, girl! One place you may not know about is BabySteals. I’m the marketing director at the company and saw your blog post in my Google Alerts since you used the words “Baby Steals.” Our site has a new steal every 12 hours (9am MST and 9pm MST) on boutique-quality baby and mommy items. (You’re smart to buy much of the gear used. You’ll want to check out our site for items you’d rather not get used.) I’m sure you’ll love our awesome customer service and our lightening-fast shipping will be handy as you get closer to your due date. Congratulations!

• October 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks, Pam!! I’ll be sure to check it out!